Best of RNC

Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
edited September 3, 2012 in Street and Documentary
I've selected what are, in my opinion, the best of my RNC images. It was difficult culling 40 hours of shooting down to a few pictures, but this is what I've come up with.

I'm including the link to the full gallery, and if you would be so kind as to look over the 40 or so images I've picked these from, and have anything further to say about them, that'd be great. If not, no biggie. I'd love to hear your thoughts and criticism of these images.

The "Social Networking" shot I posted is from RNC as well, and I'll include that at the bottom here. It's the only one I've chosen to convert.

Enjoy.

1. IMG2370-L.jpg

2. TENN7630-L.jpg

3. TENN8591-L.jpg

4. TENN7768-L.jpg

5. IMG2502-L.jpg

6. TENN7950-L.jpg

7. TENN8772-L.jpg

8. TENN0006-L.jpg

9. TENN8156-L.jpg

10. TENN8391-L.jpg

11. TENN9600-L.jpg

12. TENN9545-L.jpg

13. TENN9472-L.jpg

14. TENN0754-L.jpg

15. TENN0288-L.jpg

16. TENN9958A-L.jpg

17. TENN0097-L.jpg

Critique is always greatly appreciated, and in relationship to anything, including captions (on the smugmug site) as well as order of images in the portfolio. Thanks, as always.

Here's the link to the larger gallery of not-so-hot images.

Gallery

Comments

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    Vermin Supreme shirtless. Gotta love it. Did you get a toothbrush from him?
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    Vermin Supreme shirtless. Gotta love it. Did you get a toothbrush from him?

I did not, unfortunately.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited September 2, 2012
    I haven't had a chance to look at your gallery yet but this set makes me wonder where all the Republicans were. mwink.gif
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited September 2, 2012
    Wow Quincy - you're getting in the middle of this stuff now. thumb.gif

#1 for the intensity of the eyes.
    #12 for the raw emotion of a protest and finding time to lock lips and the sign behind them
    #13 for the tat on his neck making me wonder if his mom would be proud of the actions
    #16 for the choice of lens, symmetry of the shot, and cajones it took to shoot it.

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 2, 2012
    I think every image is good at some level but again there's a question of context. short of knowing your setting there's nothing in any given image that gives a sense of place

edited September 2, 2012
    Richard wrote: »
    I haven't had a chance to look at your gallery yet but this set makes me wonder where all the Republicans were. mwink.gif

Doing all the air-conditioned things, I'm sure.
    M38A1 wrote: »
    Wow Quincy - you're getting in the middle of this stuff now. thumb.gif

#1 for the intensity of the eyes.
    #12 for the raw emotion of a protest and finding time to lock lips and the sign behind them
    #13 for the tat on his neck making me wonder if his mom would be proud of the actions
    #16 for the choice of lens, symmetry of the shot, and cajones it took to shoot it.

Thanks M3! I tried to get in the middle of it as much as possible! I only wish there was more I could've gotten in the middle of.
    Angelo wrote: »
    I think every image is good at some level but again there's a question of context. short of knowing your setting there's nothing in any given image that gives a sense of place

Thanks, Angelo. How would you approach the situation? I feel as if I have 40 pictures which would very accurately tell the entire story, but it's very difficult to do that in the number of images which is appropriate for a portfolio. Any advice would be great! I do have a few additional "crowd-type" shots, if that's what you feel it needs. You can see them in the gallery or I could post candidates here.
  • graffitimagerygraffitimagery Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 2, 2012
    Awesome photos and some incredible captures . I do agree this could be a shoot any day, any time, of any crowd on any corner in my liberal home town of Portland Oregon. The Republican candidates would be a great addition to bring to the portfolio a sense of place and perspective. Other than that I loved the series. Great work!!!
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 2, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    Doing all the air-conditioned things, I'm sure.

Thanks M3! I tried to get in the middle of it as much as possible! I only wish there was more I could've gotten in the middle of.

Thanks, Angelo. How would you approach the situation? I feel as if I have 40 pictures which would very accurately tell the entire story, but it's very difficult to do that in the number of images which is appropriate for a portfolio. Any advice would be great! I do have a few additional "crowd-type" shots, if that's what you feel it needs. You can see them in the gallery or I could post candidates here.

I saw two in your gallery...
    one of a women carrying an anti GOP sign and another with someone carrying a sign with a Mitt slur
    those would be more telling of context

PS - this critique aside most of the images are very well done
    edited September 2, 2012
    Angelo wrote: »
    I saw two in your gallery...
    one of a women carrying an anti GOP sign and another with someone carrying a sign with a Mitt slur
    those would be more telling of context

PS - this critique aside most of the images are very well done

Thanks again, Angelo.

TENN7812-L.jpg
    TENN7439-M.jpg

These two (which I assume you're talking about) I do like, and they certainly give evidence to the event. I like 1 for its perspective and layers, and 2 makes it pretty obvious but the picture is much less interesting to my eye. Matter of taste, I suppose. I'll let Documentary forum choose!
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    I think you did a good job. I think you have stronger images on your website than some you posted, but that's just my opinion.

I get the general impression it was pretty quite down there which isn't a bad thing.

Sam
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    Quincy T wrote: »
    I've selected what are, in my opinion, the best of my RNC images. It was difficult culling 40 hours of shooting down to a few pictures, but this is what I've come up with.

I'm including the link to the full gallery, and if you would be so kind as to look over the 40 or so images I've picked these from, and have anything further to say about them, that'd be great. If not, no biggie. I'd love to hear your thoughts and criticism of these images.

The "Social Networking" shot I posted is from RNC as well, and I'll include that at the bottom here. It's the only one I've chosen to convert.

Enjoy.

Good right stuff, Quincy - just stop tilting the damn camera. mwink.gif Either a photo is good, or it isn't, but tilting won't save a dull shot. (End of lecture.) Now, to those who said they wanted more context, etc., I agree that that would make these much stronger. However, in Qunicy's defense, I have gotten the impression that the police presence was so strong and all controlling that what he got was what was there - the demonstrators were kept so disconnected from the convention that they might as well have been in Kalamazoo, as in Tampa. Yes, more scene setters would be good, but then as I understand it, Quincy has given us his strongest individual images - and these are good individual images.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited September 3, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Good right stuff, Quincy - just stop tilting the damn camera. mwink.gif Either a photo is good, or it isn't, but tilting won't save a dull shot. (End of lecture.) Now, to those who said they wanted more context, etc., I agree that that would make these much stronger. However, in Qunicy's defense, I have gotten the impression that the police presence was so strong and all controlling that what he got was what was there - the demonstrators were kept so disconnected from the convention that they might as well have been in Kalamazoo, as in Tampa. Yes, more scene setters would be good, but then as I understand it, Quincy has given us his strongest individual images - and these are good individual images.

Appreciated B.D. After input from others, I decided to take the tilted images and put them in. Now, my question is, in regard to that tilt (now it's starting to sound like a big deal. It isn't. Whatever, I hate tilting, but I was just trying to get the image) how about #6? It's tilted, but I feel it's appropriate. Other than that, yeah, I agree on the other two.

Very accurate assessment as to the relationship of the protesters to the Republican fans. They were never within a 1/2 mile of each other, outside of some light interaction in Ybor City. There's maybe one or two images that sort-of depict that, which you can see in the larger gallery, but I didn't feel they gave enough evidence to be included. The protesters were protesting to the media, PETA, and Westboro Baptist Church. It was a circle jerk, honestly.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    Overall, very nicely done, Quincy. Very nice, indeed. I'm going to giggle for a while over the "My Mom..." tattoo shot (excellent catch there) and can only shake my head over the Guy Falk mask combined with a WWII celebration t-shirt (I mention it only because a good photo makes you think and you did just that for me). Really, really like the one of the horseback cops; both the angle and catching them under the arch makes it a standout to me.

For increased context, perhaps more shots that include protest signs?

And I have to agree with the tilt comments. Once in a blue moon it adds to a photo, but only once in a blue moon. So no more until 2015, 'k? mwink.gif

PJ.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
    edited September 3, 2012
    So no more until 2015, 'k? mwink.gif

PJ.

Hahahhaa, very well Sci!