GX1 vs NEX 5N

dwd3885dwd3885 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited September 3, 2012 in Cameras
So I'm switching from a T2i to either the GX1 or NEX 5N. Mainly because I want a smaller camera. I know the image quality of these two will be fairly similar but I'm not sure.

Not of the time I just shoot my 3 year old daughter. I shoot in PA mode mainly. I don't really need a ton of features, just great image quality. I can get the Lumix for about $50 cheaper after purchasing an external flash for both because I like to bounce the flash.

I don't do a ton o super low light photos, I just love the quality of the Rebel.

Which Camera would be better? Lumix $50 cheaper or NEX?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    edited September 3, 2012
    If your child is typical you will want the fastest autofocus (AF) you can afford. The images are what matters, and if the AF can't deliver you will be disappointed.

While any of these cameras "might" keep up with a child in good light and while the child is relatively inactive, the combination of indoors and an active child can test even the best camera and lens.

A dSLR with passive SIR (Secondary Image Registration), along with a flash with a focus assist light, is still and by far the best AF mechanism developed for child photography when the child is allowed to be active. If anything, I suggest that you may need an even faster AF for an active child.

If your needs are limited to the "posed family" genre then any of these cameras can suffice. But if you need to capture activities typical to a 3-year-old then my strong recommendation is to concentrate on a sports capable body and lens combination (with a suitable flash as described above), and that would not include any current mirrorless bodies.

If the convenience of a small body and smaller lenses is still your driving desire then of the two mentioned, GX1 or NEX 5N, my personal preference is the Panasonic Lumix GX1. The combination of a more compact standard zoom lens and built-in flash, along with faster autofocus will likely make for a more pleasing experience and larger crop of usable images.

The Nex 5N can be built into a system that is more feature rich, if you add on the FDA-EV1S electronic viewfinder, the external flash and the LA-EA2 SLT lens adapter (to allow the use of Sony/Minolta "A" mount lenses), but now the system size is dramatically increased.

To be fair, neither the GX1 or NEX 5N are bad cameras and either are pretty good for general photography.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums