090112ParkGirlHiltsMoveIn0060-X2.jpg

090112ParkGirlHiltsMoveIn0061-X2.jpg
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    #2 is a winner-- the dogs on the couch add a new layer of ambiguity as to what is being offered as "free."

#1, not so much.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    Interesting take...dogs on couch are just a goof. ;-) And a set up.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited September 4, 2012
    Well, #1 is something I see regularly on my street the day before garbage pickup. ne_nau.gif
    edited September 4, 2012
    Which says a lot about the disposable nature of modern life. I can assure you that when I was growing up, seeing a sofa by the roadside was definitely not a common occurrence, and one was as likely to see a flying saucer at curbside as one was a TV. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited September 4, 2012
    Maybe, but with #1, I'm more concerned with the car that may be parked in front of a fire hydrant. I don't think it is, but it looks like it might be.

And of course the two things for free on the curb are undesirable: no one wants to buy a pre digital-tuner tv, especially a bulky CRT type. The tuners can cost more than the tv is worth. And couches-- well, in the past 20 years I have never had to buy a couch. Couches, like cats, just sort of show up. ne_nau.gif
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Interesting take...dogs on couch are just a goof. ;-) And a set up.

I'm afraid to ask what those objects are in the gutter.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    I love #1. As BD says an interesting statement on modern culture where a non-flat screen TV is a 'give away'. That couch would have been an upgrade in my college abode.

Here in Phoenix we have a 'bulk trash day' every three months where we can put large stuff at the curb. Things like this go out first and the second hand shops and others comb the neighborhoods a week prior and pick up the usable stuff. A neighbor once complained about people taking her garbage and I, for the life of me, couldn't figure out how that could upset her.headscratch.gif Seems the ultimate in recycling to me, you don't want it and were going to throw it in a landfill and someone less fortunate wants to put it in their house and use it, or sell it to others and thereby make a living. Heck, I separate the stuff I put out to make it easier for them to pick it up. Kind of insulted when they don't take it, and I realize up until 24 hours prior that item was in use in my house!

2 is obviously a set up and a good chuckle, not intended as a serious submission but fun nonetheless.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    MarkR wrote: »
    Maybe, but with #1, I'm more concerned with the car that may be parked in front of a fire hydrant. I don't think it is, but it looks like it might be.

That's one long-ass Corolla, if so.
    edited September 6, 2012
    I love #1. As BD says an interesting statement on modern culture where a non-flat screen TV is a 'give away'. That couch would have been an upgrade in my college abode.

Here in Phoenix we have a 'bulk trash day' every three months where we can put large stuff at the curb. Things like this go out first and the second hand shops and others comb the neighborhoods a week prior and pick up the usable stuff. A neighbor once complained about people taking her garbage and I, for the life of me, couldn't figure out how that could upset her.headscratch.gif Seems the ultimate in recycling to me, you don't want it and were going to throw it in a landfill and someone less fortunate wants to put it in their house and use it, or sell it to others and thereby make a living. Heck, I separate the stuff I put out to make it easier for them to pick it up. Kind of insulted when they don't take it, and I realize up until 24 hours prior that item was in use in my house!

2 is obviously a set up and a good chuckle, not intended as a serious submission but fun nonetheless.

Well, having lived in a very urban area, and still living in a moderately urban area-- the problem with people going through your trash/recycling is that they don't always put the stuff they don't want back neatly. This annoys trash and recycling collectors, (and neighbors!) and can even lead to fines. At any rate, it's no fun having to go out and clean up trash that you had already put out once.

I would never pick up furniture from the curb though. My MIL did that once and discovered the joys of bedbugs.

I also once put out a chair that had become the sick/death-bed of an incontinent cat. It disappeared before trash pickup, and all I can think of is that Volkswagen commercial from a few years back.
  • lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    A good find B.D ! The couch,television, remote included , fit together well. Makes me think of popcorn and a coke.
  • YaflyyadieYaflyyadie Registered Users Posts: 558 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Bd:
    First picture gives an idea of the environment where you found the inspirational view.
    You really put a lot of substance to the second shot with the addition of the two pets.
    Don;t take me wrong, I like both, but # 2 is my preferred.
    Anyone will give away old furniture and other stuff, but never, ever, something so precious as their loved and such well cared pets.
    Love your point of view.!!!!
    Carlos
    edited September 9, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I'm afraid to ask what those objects are in the gutter.

Leaves, Tony, and something we don't want to think about.:-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited September 9, 2012
    Yaflyyadie wrote: »
    Bd:
    First picture gives an idea of the environment where you found the inspirational view.
    You really put a lot of substance to the second shot with the addition of the two pets.
    Don;t take me wrong, I like both, but # 2 is my preferred.
    Anyone will give away old furniture and other stuff, but never, ever, something so precious as their loved and such well cared pets.
    Love your point of view.!!!!
    Carlos

Thanks for the interesting take on this, Carlos.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com