Converting a G9 to IR?

EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
edited September 3, 2012 in Cameras
Would that be worth doing? Or buy IR filters and send the time setting up the shot? Or do it on the computer and pretend its an IR image?

I dig some of them. Not sure if the fixed lens of the Canon G9 would take on the cool wide landscape type shots.

Comments

• JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    Would that be worth doing? Or buy IR filters and send the time setting up the shot? Or do it on the computer and pretend its an IR image?

I dig some of them. Not sure if the fixed lens of the Canon G9 would take on the cool wide landscape type shots.

No to post. IR in post is just a gimmick, and a couple of images may look interesting, but it doesn't actually give you an IR view of the world. With a real IR image, you are actually looking at a real world response.

I haven't shot with a converted P&S, but a 58mm IR filter isn't too expensive, you could start with just a lens end filter and see how you like it. For a G9, it has a live view on the screen, right? So even with a lens end filter, you could frame and focus with the filter on, right? Not like an SLR where the optical viewfinder would be dark with a lens end filter.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.