Options

Practicing with a young lady

JabfingerJabfinger Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
edited September 6, 2012 in People
I was able to get together with a friend of the family the other day for some practice. We started shooting at around 5:30 pm or so and stopped at around 7:30. I had her choose 5 poses from around 15 that I showed her beforehand. Not really sure how other photographers start out with positioning people for shots but this worked pretty well for me. At least I had an idea and and a picture to look at to get us in the ballpark. Usually I shoot my own family members and try to figure out the positions on the fly but that for the most part is frustrating and turns out awkward. I will probably stick with this method for the foreseeable future:D

1BIZ1386-M.jpg

2BIZ1375C1-M.jpg

3BIZ1377-M.jpg

4BIZ1389-2-M.jpg

5BIZ1338-M.jpg

6BIZ1361A-M.jpg

7BIZ1360-M.jpg

I shot around 120 frames got about 16 decent shots. Some of the positions were funky looking, a lot were soft and even some of these are a bit on the soft side, I think. Anyway, thanks for looking and your comments are appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2012
    GREAT first start! I do owe you an apology, I voted on a few images and sneezed and gave a thumbs down on the reclining picture. So far they look very nice for a true first shoot. #4-5-6 really stood out to me. Pretty girl, hope to see more of her.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    1 and 6 thumb.gif

I like 2 and 3s dark back ground for some reason. Maybe a tighter crop, but I like, was that with an off camera strobe?
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    A reasonable start thumb.gif, I do notice that there is a bit work on the composition. Try to apply the 1/3 rule, and it might be working beter. In several pictures the model is been cut or close to the edges of the frame, and I do believe that this is rather disturbing.

To me the best one is the last one.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2012
    Thanks novicesnapper
    I voted on a few images and sneezed and gave a thumbs down on the reclining picture.

Not entirely sure what you mean by voting. At the risk of sounding like a knucklehead, where did you votene_nau.gif? I am assuming the reclining picture is the tilted B&W version of #6. I was'nt sure about the tilt but I do think the B&W version of the photo is a bit stronger.

BIZ1361BW-M.jpg

Thanks EphTwoEight
    was that with an off camera strobe?

Yes. I used two. One camera left with an umbrella and one camera right bare. Looking at #'s 2 and 3 now, there is an apparent shadow cast on her left arm from the strobe camera right. Maybe should have snooted or flaged but I wanted a bit of light on her hair.

Thanks D3Sshooter
    In several pictures the model is been cut or close to the edges of the frame, and I do believe that this is rather disturbing.
    Yes in #5 I did not catch the way her left arm was bending when I took the shot, sort of bending in at the elbow, and that made her arm appear large. I tried to crop it a bit further in than I normaly would have to try to compensate. I should have just let that one go but her smile was genuine and I just couldn't toss it.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    Well, I think you're on the right path, unlike every chick-with-camera that I meet, "Oh, I'm a natural light photographer (aka I dont want to invest in lighting) :D
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    It over on you're smugmug account image. It allows the viewer to vote thumbs up or down on each image. I usually go over there to view someones pictures when I can, then I can view them much larger. The way I do it is, I right click the image here, and "view" it. It loads the smugmug link to that picture. Then I just remove part of the URL to get to the album.

Like here is the link to the image album http://outlawphotography.smugmug.com/People/Delaunay/25126274_rhPWzk#!i=2060172294&k=hNVb9X8

Then I can hover over an image and it will offer a larger view, click X2 or X3 to really see it. By the way, this last set isn't copyright protected, the way I know is, I can right click and it will let me save that larger size image. So you might want to change that? I'm not sure, can a person make protected, sealed password protected, albums on smugmug?

I just thought I would let you know how I was viewing them.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    One thing you may want to consider is working with a model who has experience so that you can concentrate on the technical aspects of getting the shot. I use Model Mayhem this way as there are plenty of people who will work on a trade for premise who have experience with posing.
    In many cases you will find that natural light during that timeframe can be magical but try to look at locations that provide good light to shadow ratios to prevent flat lighting. I like to use what ever reflective surfaces I can find such as dirt, sand, cement or walls of buildings and what not. Consider the location of the setting sun in relation to your model and don't be afraid to introduce OCF at the 3 oclock 9 oclock position bare bulb vs shoe mount on board to add a little drama to the ambient light.
    That being said, I think the B&W of #6 is the best of the set
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    One thing you may want to consider is working with a model who has experience so that you can concentrate on the technical aspects of getting the shot.

100% correct Reyvee61. Some time ago I started with portraits and used newbe models (who wants to work with a beginning photographer ? rookies indeed). So there you are struggling with the camera an unsure model so now you need to work both. Very difficult, while maintaining contact with the model. As the Photographer you steer the model....and if one does not now on how to drive, well that will show in the shots.

So I decided to hire a Pro -model 250 Dollar for 3.5 Hr, a lot of money:cry But my god what was it a pleasure to shoot with such a model. They know what to do, the poses, the expression etc....
    I learned from the model and at the same time I was able to focus on the light. I can assure you that this is the best learning shool I ever had. besides the fact that she was very pretty mwink.gif

You don't learn to drive a care with another novice driver, even-though one might know all the mechanical aspects of the car and traffic regulations.
  • Options
    zoomerzoomer Registered Users Posts: 3,688 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    People can generally pose themselves if you allow them the freedom to do so...gets you much less stiff looking "posed" shots.
    Put them in the scene where you want them with a general orientation and let them go.

Spend more time interacting with your client to make them comfortable and choosing scenes with good backgrounds in good light.

These shots look like work in progress....keep at it.
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2012
    Reyvee61
    The Mayhem thing might work later. I think I may be over complicating things too much as it is. Throwing a real model who had expectations in the mix would only frustrate me more. I think you are right BW#6.

Zoomer
    I see you are from Idaho where it is always sunny. I lived out there in Caldwell for 6 years and worked in Wilder at the Air Force site that used to be there. Beautiful country out there. I took a look at your smugmug site and wow amazing stuff. Finding good light and backgrounds is something that I seem to have difficulty with. Backgrounds are dark in most of my shots and I need to think about ways to change that. As far as good light goes I'm lookin hard for that and at some point I'm going to see it and say to myself ohhhh thats what those guys on DG were sayin all that time. I know it's there.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    I'm gonna agree with D3 in regard to Mayhem Jab.

I started on Mayhem in 2009 and couldn't draw flies ( for good reason). I hired two real pros and things went from there.
    One HUGE advantage to hiring a pro is that you owe them nothing in terms of images. That takes the pressure off you to produce images the model likes in a TF shoot. It also gives your Mayhem port credibility.

If you're interested in Mayhem, this thread I wrote on another board may be helpful:
    http://photocamel.com/forum/photography-talk/135765-mayhem-veterans-lets-help-new-photographers.html

Good luck and have fun.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    good job !
  • Options
    trooperstroopers Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    The dark backgrounds on 2 and 3 is uncomfortable and eerie.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Mike (Zoomer) brings a strong point to the table as well. trust me, the MM thing is not as complex as it may appear and I've not had to pay for experienced models thanks to trade for work.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2012
    zoomer wrote: »
    People can generally pose themselves if you allow them the freedom to do so...gets you much less stiff looking "posed" shots.
    Put them in the scene where you want them with a general orientation and let them go.

@ Zoomer, you have a point. It all depends on the type of shots you are about to make. Is it Glamour ? Fine Art ? Character Portrait ? Fashion....... For certain types it will just not work if you let the model pose themselves, even with a pro the photographer has to drive the model.
    Ever noticed how fast a beginning model swings the arms in the air, how they position the fingers & hand , how they place their hands in the hair, how they don't seem to understand the S-curve, show leg and working leg.....etc I do. And once you have given them some tips the pictures just get so much better.
    For instance, ask a new-be or any person to lean on the elbow and support the head with one hand. 80% of the people will take the same position. Leaning on de palm of hand which is placed on the cheek. Nothing wrong right, but allmost all of them will lean on the hand and cause strong distortions on the skin and face. A real model, will do the same but just touch the skin with the hand so no distortion takes place.

with the hand.
    cheacks
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2012
    JohnGault_ny,
    Thanks for the info and the link. I'll check it out.

troopers,
    It's not that eerie and uncomfortable:D

coolpinski,
    Thanks. I have relatives that live out your way.