Options

September Thunderstorm in Colorado

skiahhskiahh Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited September 5, 2012 in Landscapes
Got these on my back deck, looking out towards Pikes Peak. You can see the summit building lights in the first shot.

PQP_1358.JPG

PQP_1372.JPG

This one was a longer exposure and I went from f/11 to f/9. Should have stayed at 11... I think the bolt made it all too light.

PQP_1385.JPG

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited September 4, 2012
    Gadz! I hope that none of those start any more fires. That first shot looks like the lightning is hitting the ground at the same place all those homes burned. Or are you a little bit south of that area? As for the lightning pics themselves - terrific!
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2012
    David_S85 wrote: »
    Gadz! I hope that none of those start any more fires. That first shot looks like the lightning is hitting the ground at the same place all those homes burned. Or are you a little bit south of that area? As for the lightning pics themselves - terrific!

Almost. It looks like it's touching down right in Waldo Canyon, where that fire actually started. The homes that burned were primarily to the right of the shot, although one or two got tagged up there on the hill right behind the tree just right of center.

Fortunately, this storm came with rain, so hopefully it won't touch anything off... if there's anything left in there to burn.

And, thanks!
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,204 moderator
    edited September 4, 2012
    That's kinda what I thought looking at the perspective you shot from. My sister was evacuated up in WP and lived at a friend's condo for 10 days across from the HS just south of the Broadmore. Luckily, her house was OK, but it got as close as the west side of Rampart Reservoir.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited September 5, 2012
    It came to within a quarter mile of my house and I was evacuated for 5 days. These shots were taken from my back deck. Fortunately we had no smoke or other damage, though some houses at the end of my street were hit by scumsucking looters.