Options

Canon EOS-1D X AF at f/8 with the Kenko 1.4TC

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited September 5, 2012 in Cameras
Good Evening Folks,
I saw this article on Canonrumors.com and thought it might be useful to those who own a 1D X. Canon EOS-1D X AF at f/8 with the Kenko 1.4TC The Kenko 1.4x just might go up in value now :wink
Have a good night :D
JIm...

Comments

• Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2012
    It's good to have money.

The 1D-X, $6800, the 800mm lens, close to $14,000, the TC for $259.

Twenty one grand for a photo of Tweety.
    I'm not saying, I'm just saying. You know what I'm saying?

Before anyone jumps me, I have about $8000 into shooting Tweety.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited September 4, 2012
    Thanks Jim. Here's the link to the full Arthur Morris article at his blog, with images:

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/08/30/mega-amazing-discovery-800-f5-6-1-4x-tc-canon-eos-1dx/
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,210 moderator
    edited September 4, 2012
    I have a Tamron 1.4x TC, and it works and focuses with the 5DIII and my 400/5.6 at f/8 just fine. The regular Kenko/Tamron TC has one less electrical contact and won't transmit to the Canon body that a TC is present. I don't know if the PRO version also is without the contact, but it is likely. The body might simply think only a lens is present. Either way, you get light falloff and vignetting. And lots of vignetting. If you crop it out, then not a big deal. Also, not tack sharp either. The PRO TC probably improves the situation optically a bit.

My Canon 1.4x TC II won't work with my 400 at all except in manual focus mode. Much less vignetting with the Canon. I could always tape the contact out I guess.

For an experiment, I stacked all three of my Kenko extension tubes in combo, again with the 5DIII and the 400/5.6 and it auto focused just fine. That's probably around f/13, so it isn't a low light problem with it not focusing, it is firmware in the camera.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Canon EOS-1D X AF at f/8 with the Kenko 1.4TC
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Thanks Jim. Here's the link to the full Arthur Morris article at his blog, with images:

http://www.birdsasart-blog.com/2012/08/30/mega-amazing-discovery-800-f5-6-1-4x-tc-canon-eos-1dx/
    Morning Ziggy,
    You're welcome thumb.gif And to think I was going to sell my EXCELLENT copy of that tc for a mere $140 rolleyes1.gifrofl
    Have a good day folks :D
    Jim...