Was bored with standard picture taken by others

QuigsjrQuigsjr Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited September 11, 2012 in Sports
7773047704_465d839960_b.jpg
IMG3454 by QuigsJr, on Flickr

Comments

• KMCCKMCC Registered Users Posts: 717 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Nice shot. I'd suggest cropping to eliminate dead space above him and down the right side; and maybe bumping the exposure up a bit.

Kent
    "Not everybody trusts paintings, but people believe photographs."- Ansel Adams
    Web site
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Great idea, but it does look underexposed to me too. I'd recommend going with cross lighting for more drama. Two strobes directly opposite each other, on your subject's left and right. I did something similar here.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • QuigsjrQuigsjr Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Good example, I will try the cross lighting next time, I love what speed lights can do. Thank you for all suggestions.
  • VitaminVVitaminV Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    Nice
    I really like the idea (and the skinned knee!). I think once you correct the shadows, you'll have real winner!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited September 5, 2012
    some more cross lighting inspiration... (not mine)

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=147554

scroll down to the basketball shots.

686405395_6fgUe-L-1.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited September 6, 2012
    Now I'll have to talk my son into another session. At 7 he has no patience. My 13 year old daughter could pose all day if you let her. Nice shot.
  • CloudOnMyTongueCloudOnMyTongue Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    I love his big smile and skinned knee!
  • jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Quigsjr wrote: »
    Now I'll have to talk my son into another session. At 7 he has no patience. My 13 year old daughter could pose all day if you let her. Nice shot.

Cute pic!

I agree the exposure needs to be up and more light on his face as well as closer cropped etc.. Even the fence at an angle through the pic is a bit wonky. Maybe even a cleaner background or make it much much darker.

Maybe experiment on your daughter until you have it to your liking, then call in your son for the final shot. ...if he argues, suggest that next video game or whatever he wants might not make it home nearly as quick. lol
    edited September 11, 2012
    A bribe might just work...
  • JBHotShotsJBHotShots Registered Users Posts: 391 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    It looks a little blue as well; may be from being underexposed.
    Jamie
    JBHotShots.com
    Facebook
    7DII w/Grip, 50D w/Grip, 24-70/2.8L, 70-200/2.8L, 85/1.8, 50/1.8, Rokinon 8mm FE 3.2, 580EXII 430EX