Options

Todays guy

HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
edited September 10, 2012 in People
A senior from today from our basic session.

1. i-z5CGhHN-XL.jpg

2. i-M9wzFbW-XL.jpg

3. i-7Lbhp48-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    Nice work Charles, my fave is number three. I do like the way you got separation by light the background as well
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2012
    Thanks Rey, to separate the subject I also use a kicker and the effect is more prominent in #2. Watch the neck and his left arm for the kicker.
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    I'd like to try something like this but I'll need more than just the two lights I'm assuming :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited September 6, 2012
    Ideally a 5 light set is the cats meow. A hair, two kickers, background and main. These have four.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Nice work with great lights and backgrounds. Very much US style (great).
    Interesting to see how taste differs from continent to continent, I used to live in Virginia ( 8 years) and so I am accustomed to this style. In the old continent one will very seldom find this kind of pictures. But besides that its a great series, especially the first one. Although the second has a great background and the last a lovely DOF
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2012
    Stephan, can you direct me to a continental site that features senior portraits. I would love to see what the East does.
  • Options
    BrettDeutschBrettDeutsch Registered Users Posts: 365 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    I know this is just a personal taste thing -- but I hate painted backgrounds. For me, they only work when totally out of focus, like in #3 -- which is why I'm sure everyone above likes #3 the best. I much prefer plain seamless or slightly textured muslin. But clearly you know what you're doing. The lighting is dead on.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2012
    I know this is just a personal taste thing -- but I hate painted backgrounds. For me, they only work when totally out of focus, like in #3 -- which is why I'm sure everyone above likes #3 the best. I much prefer plain seamless or slightly textured muslin. But clearly you know what you're doing. The lighting is dead on.

Thanks Brett, I agree on the painted bkgs but the seniors look for certain things and you have to provide that. Most of the things that bug us photographers doesn't seem to matter to the general public ie: double catch lights, small pupils, etc.
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Stephan, can you direct me to a continental site that features senior portraits. I would love to see what the East does.

Charles, I would love to.. but we just don't have seniors...(well we do, but there is no tradition on portraits and proms).
    Maybe a good time to start it....
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    I think the whole painted background thing started with the proliferation of the department store photography studio. The photography couldn't stand on its own so their marketing folks made the pictures pretty by emphasis on the backgrounds and scenes. Today's seniors grew up having the pictures done at these places with their "scenic" backgrounds and to them it's the norm. My theory anyway.

Charles, on your basic session, do you offer the same level of retouching as with higher level sessions?
  • Options
    the Pondthe Pond Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 10, 2012
    This is a nice set. No. 2 however draws my attention because of the small round circle above his head from the background. Lighting is nice.
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    nicely done
  • Options
    Bryce, anything they buy gets my full retouch. In my base session I only do inside and they view in studio about 20 images.
  • Options
    The senior market is not what it was when I was younger. Check out SPA or SYNC and you will see what I mean.