Options

We want a photolab in australia!

duffyrduffyr Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited September 18, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Yes, I know there is the feedback section etc, but I would just like to call to action any australian photographers that are on here who might not know about this stuff.
The below link is the suggestions site for smugmug.
The below link specifically relates to the request of getting a print lab in australia affiliated with Smugmug.

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/990667-print-in-australia

Zenfolio and Photshelter can do it, and now, due to the price hike, they can do it cheaper.
Currently Smugmug has labs in the US, labs in Europe, but nowhere even close to Asia, despite the fact Asia has more than half the world's population.

Possible labs to hook up with are
Nulabs/Nushots
Finsbury
rgbdigital
The Edge lab
Atkins Technicolour

For those of you in the US, who benefit from the prompt delivery of prints, the minimum shipping costs for our clients in Australia are $6.70 for a 6x4 and $11.56 for an 8x12, and then it takes 3 weeks to arrive.

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/990667-print-in-australia

Please, if you sympathize with our plight, put some votes forward for us. if you're an aussie photographer, put some votes forward for us! Nobody wants to actually leave smugmug, but they're forcing our hand with the price rise coupled with the lack of cheap delivery for our prints :(
we love you smugmug, but please, dont neglect the eastern hemisphere.

Comments

• Options
    darklightphotographydarklightphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    +1 for Atkins Technicolour. Or any Aussie lab. The post from the US is a definite turn off for some of my clients.
  • Options
    DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    I gave you guys 3 votes. Good luck :X
  • Options
    GlortGlort Registered Users Posts: 1,015 Major grins
    edited September 6, 2012
    I really don't get why people even bother with sites like smugmut.
    It is so cheap to get your own hosting these days and there are shopping cart softwares that are easy as pie to set up and design as you want. As for fulfillment, I don't get the great drama in that either. This week I am shooting more than 8 hours a day and next week I will be delivering 6000 A4 prints in packages of 3. I do it all in house myself with assistance from my wife after she comes home from her regular job to do the packaging while she watches TV.

I had a call this afternoon from a corporate client that is holding a function in a couple of weeks. They saw us at another event we did for 1000 people where we photographed everyone as they arrived and had all the pics printed as 5x7's by the time they finished dinner.
    I hear people don't have time to process the orders and do the delivery themselves. Given the people largely doing this are in the event game and I know what sort of numbers online brings in, I just don't understand why they don't do their own thing and keep total control and maximise their returns on their business.

I know in the Australian markets there is nothing like the order volumes the US shooters can get so this maybe is why there are no local labs bothering with this.

There is no way on this god's green earth I'd ever use Nulab even if I had to wind up the business because there was no one else. The promises are huge, the reality sucks and the guy running the place has an ego bigger than Ayres Rock. Not to many shooters I know of that don't have a horror story or 10 about them.

OTOH, I have found RGB to be excellent in both quality and service. They are my preferred lab and I have used them since shortly after they first opened although less now given wedding portrait is only a small part of my current business.
  • Options
    SventekozSventekoz Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Three votes from me!
    John
  • Options
    duffyrduffyr Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    glort - would love to see your website - what cart software do you use? thanks for the comments, and good job for finding a solution that works!

Thanks Kevin, John and Demian!

We're only a hundred or so votes from getting on the front page! tell your friends. By voting, you are helping to CREATE JOBS. In this economic climate, that makes you, A HERO.