Options

111 -cityscapes?

MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
For your consideration-- these have been minimally processed for wb and exposure only at this point:

1. SDI1296-L.jpg

2. SDI1295-L.jpg

3. SDI1302-L.jpg

4. SDI1333-L.jpg

5. SDI1289-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    I think #3 has the most potential -- the building on the left has interesting architecture, the roof you're on lends perspective to the image guiding the eye to the city, etc. That said, maybe it's too wide? A more telephoto approach to this image that has the fantastic lines of the building on the left and makes the leading lines in the foreground a little stronger could be a very interesting composition. Also, think about what you can do for b&w here.

Karl
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    1 and 2 are too wide, loading zones just aren't all that interesting.

I like the building in 3, but would cut out much of the foreground, and some on the right and left - there's a lot of space there that doesn't add to the picture or the theme.

I personally like #5, the picnic table is a good focal point and there's a lot of city skyline to look at. Again, it might be a bit wide - I'd possibly try out a vertical crop getting rid of the red car on the right and shadow of the planter on left.

All of these definitely fit in the theme.
    edited September 7, 2012
    Will try some cropping when I get home. Thanks for the help.

Here's one more for consideration.

SDI1309-L.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    edited September 7, 2012
    Yes, that building on the left in #3 caught my eye right away! I think there is good potential there.
  • Options
    marantophotographymarantophotography Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    #3 and #5 look like they have the most potential. All of them would work with this theme. Looking forward to seeing what you do in post-editing.
  • Options
    edited September 7, 2012
    Ok-- here's a straight crop of #3
    SDI1302-L.jpg

And a little PP-- too much?
    SDI1302-Edit-L.jpg
  • Options
    karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    I actually like the post-processing on that. Would be interested if you could go back and shoot this as a vertical. That will serve to further emphasize some of the strong vertical and near vertical lines in your image.

Karl
  • Options
    tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    I like the PP'd version, too. The cloud in the middle really adds a place to keep the eye moving around the scape.

Chris
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    I actually like #4 best. Your current entry is good too, however, for me the piece of the building on the left side is a bit distracting and pulls my eye that way.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    I actually like #4 best. Your current entry is good too, however, for me the piece of the building on the left side is a bit distracting and pulls my eye that way.

My wife says #4 should be on a postcard. So yeah, we like it a lot too. thumb.gif
  • Options
    digital2006digital2006 Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    I like the post processing on #3...it really brought out the sky...nice work.
    Marty
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2012
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    red_zonered_zone Registered Users Posts: 533 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    rooftops
    I think your PP really did a lot for the picture. That building is definitely a feature!
    However, you've still got some distracting rooftops and HVAC equipment in the foreground, which is distracting and un-necessary (same thing for the loading docks in some of your other photos).

I really don't see a subject in #3 that you've been working on - it's got to be the skyline, right? It's such a small piece of the photo that it doesn't stand out. If you were thinking of featuring that building, I'd suggest a re-shoot, maybe from a different angle, that features the building and some of the surroundings but doesn't get loading zones or rooftops. If you're going for the city skyline, I'd maybe get out of the city and a little lower.

Anyway, going on the premise that the very center of your picture, the most interesting part, is the subject, may I suggest a crop that highlights it? Something like this:
    edited September 14, 2012
    I would prefer #4 as well. Also like the PP'ing of #3, but find the foreground distracting. Would probably not go as tight a crop as red_zone, but do agree especially the airconditioning units, etc in the foreground are distracting.
  • Options
    Well, here's a rework (PP) of #4

SDI1333-Edit-L.jpg
  • Options
    sapphire73sapphire73 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 1,948 moderator
    I like Red Zone's suggestion of cropping #3 more tightly to emphasize / frame the skyline but might leave a bit more of the sky at the top.

#4 also has potential but seems tilted a bit to the right and I'd be interested in seeing some of the building on the right cropped. As always, feel free to ignore and follow your gut.

Gretchen