summer travel baseball (little league) series of 15

lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Hi all,
This was my second time documenting the little league summer travel ball experience.
This time I had access to the dugout (didn't even have to make a pitch for it this year, I was asked!)
You will still see some through the links shots that could not be helped.

C&C and comments appreciated. I took hundreds of shots this season, hundreds and it was hard to whittle down to these 15, I had to force myself to stop.

sp-8-L.jpg

sp-15-L.jpg

sp-52-L.jpg

sp-62-L.jpg

sp-68-L.jpg

sp-84-L.jpg

sp-11-L.jpg

sp-36-L.jpg

sp-7-L.jpg

sp-39-L.jpg

sp-15-L.jpg

sp-4-L.jpg

sp-90-L.jpg

sp-42-L.jpg

sp-131-L.jpg
Liz A.
_________

Comments

• RyanSRyanS Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Some wonderful images here. Thank you for sharing. #7 is a standout for me.
    Please feel free to post any reworks you do of my images. Crop, skew, munge, edit, share.
    Website | Galleries | Utah PJs
  • M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    What a great series of yet another year...

I'm with Ryan. For me, #7 is one of those "wow" shots. So complex with the father/son, hands, eyes but so simple at the same time.

How did you shoot #11 with that 50mm? Were you literally on the field at home plate while they were in play?

Really great to see the kids for another season.

• TPierce6TPierce6 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 7, 2012
    Amazing photos!

How did you get the gig if you don't mind me asking?

I would love to be able to shoot local youth sports around my area but I don't have any children involved and I don't want to look like a creeper, lol.
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    awseome..I would like to say it brings back memories but I never played BB as a kid! lol

okay what is going on in shot #2? How are those 2 kids in the same playing field?!?
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    Ref vs. player?

Awesome set!
    D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3
  • damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    6 is great...
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    RyanS wrote: »
    Some wonderful images here. Thank you for sharing. #7 is a standout for me.

Thank you Ryan.

I love those father/son moments myself. Though sometimes they are not very pretty...at all.
    Liz A.
    _________
    M38A1 wrote: »
    What a great series of yet another year...

I'm with Ryan. For me, #7 is one of those "wow" shots. So complex with the father/son, hands, eyes but so simple at the same time.

How did you shoot #11 with that 50mm? Were you literally on the field at home plate while they were in play?

Really great to see the kids for another season.

Hey there Scott,
    This kid was a new additon this season, so I was glad to capture this. The other kids are old hats and tenderish father/moments are rarer.

#11, I was in the dugout, right to the side of home plate, the camera was on the chainlink, shooting throught it. It worked! Had I been outside of the dugout, I would have had to shoot through two chainlinks and that would not have worked.
    Liz A.
    _________
    TPierce6 wrote: »
    Amazing photos!

How did you get the gig if you don't mind me asking?

I would love to be able to shoot local youth sports around my area but I don't have any children involved and I don't want to look like a creeper, lol.

Hey there,

Not a paid gig. I have been shooting more for money, but this is not one of those instances.
    My kid is on the team so for me, the payoff in this case, is documenting his summer baseball. It's something my family is deeply involved in. Shot it last year from the outside and did a good job of it, shared it with all and this year i was the only parent allowed in the dugout for the sole purpose of shooting the season. It was a great experience for me.

You would look like a creeper, lol, no doubt about it.
    Unless you had some credentialing etc. like some of the guys in the sports forum, even then some coaches/leagues aren't receptive to it, to have you sell the images after.

I'm pretty sure I could have made some money off these though, but this kids and the parents after 3 years are now like part of a second family, so I couldn't. though I have seen it done.

Good luck to you.
    Liz A.
    _________
    Qarik wrote: »
    awseome..I would like to say it brings back memories but I never played BB as a kid! lol

okay what is going on in shot #2? How are those 2 kids in the same playing field?!?

Qarik,
    I love #2 for that very reason.
    The smaller kid is ours, he's the smallest on the team (with the biggest mouth:). He takes his razzing but gives just as good. He is 8 and this is a 9u league, depending on when you are born you can be 8, 9 or even 10. All of our kids are 8-9. THe kids on the other team were all 9-10. The big kid was 10 and he was huge for his age, where our little guy is small for his age.
    We won that game by the way:)

All of our kids give the little one hell, but they are also incredibly protective of him and only they can pick on him rolleyes1.gif.
    Liz A.
    _________
    newb wrote: »
    Ref vs. player?

Awesome set!

You would think right?

Thank you.
    Liz A.
    _________
    damonff wrote: »
    6 is great...

Right after a tough loss and also the third game that week. They were exhausted and demoralized.
    CAn you tell?

I have pics of my kid near tears--his third game catching that week.
    It was tough for him and for me to see.

Thanks Damon!
    Liz A.
    _________
  • QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    Qarik,
    I love #2 for that very reason.
    The smaller kid is ours, he's the smallest on the team (with the biggest mouth:). He takes his razzing but gives just as good. He is 8 and this is a 9u league, depending on when you are born you can be 8, 9 or even 10. All of our kids are 8-9. THe kids on the other team were all 9-10. The big kid was 10 and he was huge for his age, where our little guy is small for his age.
    We won that game by the way:)

All of our kids give the little one hell, but they are also incredibly protective of him and only they can pick on him rolleyes1.gif.

aww..how sweet! just like a real family..we can talk smack about your but no one else!
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com