Need a second opinion before I order this print

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited September 19, 2012 in Finishing School
I processed this image a few years ago and haven't done much with it since, but I've got an order for it at 16x24 as a BayPhoto Metal print.

I'm not entirely sure I trust the calibration on my monitor at home and my work screen is calibrated to our presses, so if you have a moment, I'd love to hear how this looks on your calibrated screen!

714712292_jq4Vk-XL-11.jpg

THANK YOU! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• PeanoPeano Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Looks fine on my calibrated monitor.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited September 7, 2012
    I agree, it looks splendid!

Blacks read down to 0,0,0 in the darkest parts of the rock, and the highest whites I can find are about 240, 230, 220 or so, hence no blown highlights.

I think the highlights COULD be lightened just a smidgeon, maybe raise the right end of the curve gently. I can find no specular reflections in the waves at all.

Not a criticism at all, I just know your high expectations, Chris.thumb.gif

(I edit on an Apple Cinema display calibrated currently with an i1Display.)
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited September 7, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Blacks read down to 0,0,0 in the darkest parts of the rock,

I would bring those up a bit.
    edited September 7, 2012
    Would you also brighten the highlights just a few points as well, Peano? Or leave them as they are?

I considered suggesting that the blacks were pretty dark but felt that was better left to the artists discretion? Maybe?

I know Chris fully understands the significance of the white and black points, from a printing stand point.

edited September 8, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Would you also brighten the highlights just a few points as well, Peano? Or leave them as they are?

I considered suggesting that the blacks were pretty dark but felt that was better left to the artists discretion? Maybe?

Sure, the artist's discretion always trumps other considerations. My experience with printing (pretty limited) is that shadow areas come out darker than they appear on the screen, so I lose shadow details. That's why I would pull those up a bit.

Just as food for thought, here are the nits I would adjust if this were my print ...

seacoast2.jpg

1. Shift the blue just a tad away from the greens and more toward the blues.

2. Change this orange reflection on the water to blue. I assume it's perfectly natural, but it catches my eye and makes me wonder, which I don't think adds to the appeal of this image.

3. Open these shadow details.

Also, selectively sharpen fine details in the foreground and in some of the clouds.

An animated gif might make it clearer where I'd go with these:

seacoast.gif
    seacoast.jpg
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    Thank you both I really appreciate your expertise! thumb.gif

I haven't looked at the PSD for this image in quite some time, but it looks like I need to open that up again and make a couple adjustments before I order.

Peano, thank you for your example. I may not open up the shadows quite as much as you did, but they certainly look better with more detail there.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    Peano & Pathfinder,
    I just received my 16x24 print from Bay Photo and it looks killer! Thanks for your suggestions! Now I'm just bummed that it's for a customer's order and not for my own home! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited September 13, 2012
    Glad to hear it looks as nice as I was sure it would, Chris!

• karloznzkarloznz Registered Users Posts: 126 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    Nice shot good post thanks guys never looked in this part of the forum before - Its very good !!
    Carl Lea Wedding and event photographer - Wellington - Web Site