Options

I Love My 105mm 2.8

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited September 16, 2012 in People
The more I use it, the more I love it.

I just got prints back from the lab today on this session. The difference in richness and detail that the printed product has completely blows away what I see on my (not cheap but not stupid expensive) monitor. I am seriously considering going back to print proofing rather than "video proofing".

The sprayed canvas mounts have an almost painting quality that is astounding. Hmmmmmm

7951817966_024765ed3a_o.jpg
Teen Girl With Pretty Eyes by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    Gorgeous colors, gorgeous woman.
    Where her hair rests on the rock looks very odd for some reason...
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited September 7, 2012
    No, it was you're skill and dedication that brought this to life. The printing, was a nice ending touch, but it was you, that captivated her essence. Congratulations are in order I feel. After watching the work you have put out and worked so very hard on, it brings a smile to me to see what I consider a top notch piece of work. You deserve this bowdown.gif
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    Indeed a great shot, the only thing that I would have done is to brush out the flat stone on the top (part that sticks out) to make it the perfect picture.iloveyou.gif

Tell us a bit more about the lens, what brand is it ? I have used Carlzeis on my Nikon Camera and those are stunning but all manual focus (that is a bummer).
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    As always nice!

Regarding print proofing, do you print at home/studio, or send to an inexpensive shop first and then professional printer second?

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    wow Bryce, every post step by step has been better than the last, you are blooming before our very own eyes!!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 8, 2012
    Bryce your profile photo is not worthy of the photographer you have become. Upgrade!! Maybe a DIY portrait?
    oops, I meant to combine these but I thought I lost both of them, doh me, maybe I should reconsider giving people advice lol
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    reyvee61 wrote: »
    Gorgeous colors, gorgeous woman.
    Where her hair rests on the rock looks very odd for some reason...
    She is pretty, not sure 17 counts as a woman though. Now that you mention it, she does have a LOT of hair and it does look a bit funny there where it bunches up. Might see what I can do about that.
    No, it was you're skill and dedication that brought this to life. The printing, was a nice ending touch, but it was you, that captivated her essence. Congratulations are in order I feel. After watching the work you have put out and worked so very hard on, it brings a smile to me to see what I consider a top notch piece of work. You deserve this bowdown.gif
    Wow... Thanks a lot. I think that may be the nicest thing anyone has ever said about one of my photographs.
    D3Sshooter wrote: »
    Indeed a great shot, the only thing that I would have done is to brush out the flat stone on the top (part that sticks out) to make it the perfect picture.iloveyou.gif

Tell us a bit more about the lens, what brand is it ? I have used Carlzeis on my Nikon Camera and those are stunning but all manual focus (that is a bummer).
    Good eye DS3, that never even occurred to me. I'll have to see what I can do about that while fiddling with her bunched up hair.

The lens, (my only non-Nikkor) is a Sigma 105 2.8 (whole bunch of other letters) I picked it up used and a very reasonable price. It is tack sharp, even wide open, but the AF is a little clunky. AF is fast enough, it just makes a whole bunch of noise. I originally purchased it as a macro lens for a DX body as it does 1:1 and has a manual mode, but I think it really shines as a portrait lens on the FX if you don't mind the "clunky" AF.
    As always nice!

Regarding print proofing, do you print at home/studio, or send to an inexpensive shop first and then professional printer second?

Phil
    Phil:

To me having cheap proofs done defeats the purpose of doing print proofs in the first place. I don't want people to have to guess what the product they are paying for is going to look like. I want WYSISYG. I don't do any printing myself. I use a pro lab entirely.
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    wow Bryce, every post step by step has been better than the last, you are blooming before our very own eyes!!!

Your gonna make me blush.
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Bryce your profile photo is not worthy of the photographer you have become. Upgrade!! Maybe a DIY portrait?
    oops, I meant to combine these but I thought I lost both of them, doh me, maybe I should reconsider giving people advice lol

What? You don't think I look good in a tux? You're right, maybe I'll throw up a self shot nude and have Alex get on a plane to come kick my butt! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    Very nice. A perfect picture of a beautiful woman.
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    Very nice...