Options

10D Owner Looking for Advice

MarcMarc Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
edited November 18, 2005 in Cameras
I've currently got a Canon EOS-10D that, in all honesty, has considerably more capability than I'm able to use. However, unlike my lenses (24-70 f/2.8, 70-200 IS f/2.8) it cannot tolerate exposure to moisture. I live in the Pacific Northwest and wind up in rainy/misty situations from time-to-time. If I run for cover every time it starts to threaten rain around here, I'll have to spend more than half my time indoors. During the past three years I've owned this camera, almost all of the 9,000 shots I've taken have been limited to non-rainy days. Since rainy season is now here, I'm forced to ask for advice.

Does it make sense to find a clean, used EOS 1D Mark II that is sealed against moisture and more rugged (est. cost $3k minus the $700-800 I could probably get for my 10D + battery grip + stuff)? Or, is there a way to effectively use my 10D in this environment? The way I look at it is I could get a water resistant body, ~2 MP more, a full-frame sensor, a bulky and heavy body (bad), and a bunch of features I'll progbably never use, for an additional $2.2k. Think it's worth it? Or, is there another way? :ear

Comments

• Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    There are ways to get around this. Zip lock baggies, rain coats for your camera, etc. Lot's of products to keep the water off.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    A little while ago I went on a hike with some friends. I took a lot of pictures, whereas a friend of mine with a 20D never took out his camera, mainly because he didn't want to deal with the solutions to keep it from getting soaked. One of the reasons I went with the Olympus E-1 was that I could get an affordable and lightweight weatherproof system with the E-1, 14-54 and 50-200. Living in a country where I have to deal with bad weather a lot, I can't tell you how glad I am that I can use my camera in any circumstances, without having to worry about ziplock bags, camera raincoats, and the works. If you'd like to shoot in the rain (some never do that, so they wouldn't mind a non-weatherproof camera), a weatherproof camera can make all the difference in your fun while doing that. If on the other hand, you'd find the Canon weatherproof cameras that big, that you would leave it at home, you're back to square one. What you should do is up to you to decide.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,920 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    Some of the solutions can present problems of their own. For example; if
    you're hiking and using a Kata cover, your sweat will condense in the bag
    (from your hands).

A Kata cover is about $35/$40. Cheap enough to find out whether it's for
    you. You can also use a kitchen garbage bag as a cover.

Keep in mind that unless you're shooting with L glass, the camera system is
    not sealed. Meaning a sealed body doesn't buy you as much.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    I agree with Ian that sealed lenses count for more than sealed cameras - But it does pay to be careful with any computerized sensing device in a rain storm. NONE of them are waterproof, unless in a housing for underwater photography. Maybe a waterproof Point and shoot for the really wet times?? Or an underwater housing?

Usually I try to shoot just after the storm has passed, rather than during it. Snow I just usually ignore if it is cold and dry, but really dense wet snow would give me pause also.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    I shoot football games etc. with my 10D, rain or... well, there is no "shine" in high school football rolleyes1.gif

I just use a piece of plastic that I fix to the lens hood with a rubber band and drape over the rest of the unit. It keeps enough rain off and gives me room to operate. Never had a problem. Your milage may vary, of course, but it's a cheap temporary solution if you're comfortable with it.