Options

My Ritts Tribute Photo Shoot

eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
edited September 10, 2012 in People
I met Toni through two other models I'll be working with soon. She and I share an affection for the work of fashion photographer Herb Ritts (1952-2002), and decided we wanted to do a shoot in his memory. Focusing specifically on one particular 1994 photo he took of Cindy Crawford, here is our take, and variations thereof, on that photograph and the work of Herb Ritts.

Toni-Czechorosky-Ritts-Tribute-XL.jpg

Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
"Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather

Comments

• Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Nice try-out, the first picture is the better one. A bit low on detail in the blacks.
    I also notice that the second picture is more bright with more detail, making a series at the same location works better if there is consistency in brightness, color or absence but then gray values.
    What I do mis are the so unique poses that Herb Ritts always applied. Then again you are not Herb Ritts... but a well done job
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Thank you, D3. Yes, Herb had a great style and got great poses from his models. Those are just a couple of reasons that I am such a fan of his work. My variation in densities is due to shooting between 6:30 and sunset, which was about an hour later. Ritts always shot between 3:00 and 6:00. After my initial meter reading, unless I wanted to lose shots by taking a new metering reading and resetting the camera, I was pretty much stuck with guessing at a new, higher ISO. But, I could have compensated better in post.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    I agree that the first one is the best. The blur in the water on the second one bugs me a bit and I don't like the pose in the 3rd.

Honestly, I think you have a winning shot in that first one, just needs some very minor tweaks in post. It seems pretty flat and muddy to me. I would suggest setting both the white and black point using a curves adjustment layer, if you have PS.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site