Say hi to Mark and Meghan

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited November 20, 2005 in People
I had a chance to do an impromptu session with Mark and Meghan - Baldy's son and daughter-in-law of the great Baldy. They were great to work with and there were many many keepers. I wish all my subjects were as easy to work with!

Technicals: Canon 5D, 24-105L aboard. Canon 580 EX and LS-II on board for very light fill (-1.67 FEC). Shot in RAW, converted in ACR and processed in Photoshop PS CS2.

(click on pic for exif)

44846057-L.jpg

Enjoy (SmugMug) photography,

Comments

• DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Lovely, fantastic shot. Except for the writing on the sleeve. But man, you did great Andy. Nice capture, very nice. VERY.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Lovely color as usual!

Nice combination of camera and lens. I hope to have it by next year. :)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Lovely, fantastic shot. Except for the writing on the sleeve. But man, you did great Andy. Nice capture, very nice. VERY.

Thanks David. Just a bit of RGB Curves (setting the blackpoint) and that was it. These guys are very photogenic :D
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Can you explain "setting the black point" Andy?
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Very nice Andy...thumb.gif

Since you shot this with the 24-105 I was wondering if your lens is on the recall list and if so, have you seen any of the strange flare on yours.

Mine is on the list but I have yet to see the flare.
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Great Shot Andy!
    I agree with DT about the writing on the sleeve. Kinda distracting. Maybe "heal" it out?
    Other than that a GREAT shot as usual.thumb.gifbowdown.gif

Photographing people and getting it JUST right is very complicated so I think I'll be avoiding too many portraits.

I'm a sucker for natural lighting when at all possible.
    Skin tones and shadows are awful tricky as well.

All tho doing people shots outdoors is much easier!
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Ok I'm probably going to crap in my own nest here, but here goes. GASP

I think it makes her nose look big. She seems to have a square jawline and a rather flat face. I would have had her turn more towards me giving me both eyes (she has a beautiful eye color) and taking the emphasis off the profile of her nose and the flatness of her face.

I like the color, the lighting and the expression on both their faces, just wish I could see more of hers. I'm sure you have other more flattering poses of them.

I'm just a beginner, but I do know what I like to see.

I'll go hide now.:eek1
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    Ouch
    Ok I'm probably going to crap in my own nest here, but here goes. GASP

I think it makes her nose look big. She seems to have a square jawline and a rather flat face. I would have had her turn more towards me giving me both eyes (she has a beautiful eye color) and taking the emphasis off the profile of her nose and the flatness of her face.

I like the color, the lighting and the expression on both their faces, just wish I could see more of hers. I'm sure you have other more flattering poses of them.

I'm just a beginner, but I do know what I like to see.

Beginner vs the PRO.......this should be interesting!:duel

I have a front row seat! :lurk
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
    edited November 17, 2005
    ehughes wrote:

Since you shot this with the 24-105 I was wondering if your lens is on the recall list and if so, have you seen any of the strange flare on yours.

Yes, I'm on the recall list, haven't yet sent it to Canon. I have the shipping label and am ready to do so.... I have a shot that shows it - I'll try to find it and post it - it's quite artistic! I'm not sure I'm sending the lens in or not :D

Thanks Ed!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2005
    I think it makes her nose look big.

You know, you stare at anything long enough and it starts to look weird. I think her nose looks great. But as soon you pointed out hers, I thought, now HE's got a big nose! Of course, neither of them do, and it's a great shot. Lettering and all. No need to mess with it. I'd like to see it go through Rutt's portrait technique, but that's just my darkroom rat curiosity. I love the shot as is.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited November 18, 2005
    Great shot of them, Andy. thumb.gif Have you thought of getting into engagement and wedding photography and giving Shay some more competition?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited November 18, 2005

lol3.gif no need to hide! Look, photography is a *very* individual thing - you like it or you don't. The good news, here, is that this was one of many poses - and the one that *I* liked most from the entire set. The subjects - they'll pick this and probably a few more - who knows - and furthermore - who cares - it's what every they want, they're the bosses here, we, as photographers try to please them.
  • StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Well said Andy.

I"m glad to see that dgrin is a place where you can express your feelings and thoughts about what is posted here without the powers that be coming down on you if you disagree with the popular opinion.

Ultimately, the customer is the final judge here.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    It's a bit high key...I'd bring the exposure back a bit...but that's just me. And this is the first Andy photo I ever attempted to say "you could improve it by..." lol

Lee
    edited November 20, 2005
    ehughes wrote:

Yep I'm on the list. I have a return label from Canon on my desk. Not sure if I'm sending it in though, I kinda like it:

45240074-L.jpg