An absolute must read

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited October 6, 2012 in Street and Documentary
This New York Times Lens Blog post by James Estrin should not be missed by anyone interested enough in photography to be a member of this forum.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• JasonMorrowPhotoJasonMorrowPhoto Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Thank you for posting this link. Very interesting article.
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Thanks, BD, for the link. Some interesting considerations were raised. I would think that the fine-art photographer is less threatened by such a proliferation of visual presentations....as opposed to the photojournalist who is likely to have to contend with multitudes of sources competing with his/her work.
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • SciurusNigerSciurusNiger Registered Users Posts: 256 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Agree. Anyone with the ability to take a picture today likes to be called a "photographer". But the ability to point-and-shoot will never replace the ability to point and create and thereby to point and evoke; to see something special and use the tool that is photography to share that individual vision with others. In the world of painting, for example, this ability to go beyond the ordinary is why the Mona Lisa continues to smile at us mysteriously and why we so dedicatedly preserve the Sistine Chapel while thousands, perhaps millions, of other paintings have long since crumbled to dust and every day more are passed over on eBay and at garage sales and end up in the landfills. In photography, a recent set of images I saw reminded me that no one will ever replace the crisp photo of the returning WWII vet kissing that white-clad nurse on V-Day or the hurried shot of Mussolini and his closest compadres hanging upside-down at that gas station in Italy...and so on.

There are many, many people who have excellent photographic technique but who lack true and inspiring vision. Conversely there are those who can use a cheap cell phone and capture an image we will remember for the rest of our lives.

So at the end of the day, perhaps the real - eternal - question is: what choose you?

If you choose the path of vision (visionary?), then, as it has always been throughout history, your path will be an oft-lonely one. Even in this age of instant fame, it's become even less than 15 minutes; technology has decidedly outpaced evolution and sensory overload has created chronic cultural ADD. But while it may be harder to separate the wheat from the chaff these days, standouts always seem to find a way to eventually reach the top. But only we can decide for ourselves if we have it in us to pursue with the dedication required and to accept that it may well be that our vision won't be appreciated until after we're gone.

PJ.

Thanks, BD, for the link. Some interesting considerations were raised. I would think that the fine-art photographer is less threatened by such a proliferation of visual presentations....as opposed to the photojournalist who is likely to have to contend with multitudes of sources competing with his/her work.
    Garnered Images Photography

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    I think there is more too this, than that, Scurious. The problem is that the proliferation of cell phone cameras, which now are ubiquitous, coupled with the explosion of social media, is drowning us in images - I can't even bring myself to type "photographs," most of which are of things that even most people with digital point and shoots wouldn't have 'wasted' pixels on, let alone serious photographers with serious film cameras. As Estrin notes, every bit of food on a plate gets phoneographed, and tweeted or posted to Facebook, where people "Like" it or don't. And what people "like" and "share" tends to be the crap. This isn't by any means just an issue for photo journalists, it is an issue for anyone who is vaguely serious about photography, and there are precious few of us left. It of course raises the question: When everyone has a 'camera,' is anyone a photographer? The vast, vast majority of people - including well educated people, wouldn't know a quality photograph if it bit them in the eye. To them, a good photograph is one with realistic color rendition and a subject that or who is in focus. Look at the absolute crap, purile treacle, that circulates on the Web - sun sets over icebergs, images of German castles that have been photoshopped into fairy tale illustrations, wedding photos that - I can't begin to describe what those godawful things look like or are. But how often do you see a truly outstanding photographic image that is shared and reshared? Damn rarely. Art photography? Most people don't know what art photography is - if they did, that Australian woman who sticks babies in cabbages wouldn't be the world's most successful photographer - in terms of books, calendars, etc., sold. And, for that matter, Moonrise Over A Big Rock would not be most people's idea of gorgeous photography. ;-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited September 9, 2012
    bdcolen wrote: »
    Most people don't know what art photography is - if they did, that Australian woman who sticks babies in cabbages wouldn't be the world's most successful photographer - in terms of books, calendars, etc., sold. And, for that matter, Moonrise Over A Big Rock would not be most people's idea of gorgeous photography. ;-)
    Gee, I kind of liked my moonrise over a big rock. Now I feel so ashamed. :cry

583288184_nQEYG-L-3.jpg
  • toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    I think there is more too this, than that, Scurious. The problem is that the proliferation of cell phone cameras, which now are ubiquitous, coupled with the explosion of social media, is drowning us in images - I can't even bring myself to type "photographs," most of which are of things that even most people with digital point and shoots wouldn't have 'wasted' pixels on, let alone serious photographers with serious film cameras. As Estrin notes, every bit of food on a plate gets phoneographed, and tweeted or posted to Facebook, where people "Like" it or don't. And what people "like" and "share" tends to be the crap. This isn't by any means just an issue for photo journalists, it is an issue for anyone who is vaguely serious about photography, and there are precious few of us left. It of course raises the question: When everyone has a 'camera,' is anyone a photographer? The vast, vast majority of people - including well educated people, wouldn't know a quality photograph if it bit them in the eye. To them, a good photograph is one with realistic color rendition and a subject that or who is in focus. Look at the absolute crap, purile treacle, that circulates on the Web - sun sets over icebergs, images of German castles that have been photoshopped into fairy tale illustrations, wedding photos that - I can't begin to describe what those godawful things look like or are. But how often do you see a truly outstanding photographic image that is shared and reshared? Damn rarely. Art photography? Most people don't know what art photography is - if they did, that Australian woman who sticks babies in cabbages wouldn't be the world's most successful photographer - in terms of books, calendars, etc., sold. And, for that matter, Moonrise Over A Big Rock would not be most people's idea of gorgeous photography. ;-)

Hmmm .... strong opinions from a documentary photographer; trashing beautiful images that please people... over mundane street work. Images that many people pay for.

Documentary photogs who believe they are artists because they capture a moment make me smile.

I recognize that - that moment can, turn people around and can be more relevant than art, but it is not original or creation and it is not art... that's my opinion.

If one says a composite photo is not photography, it is true; the image maker is creating an image that was not seen, can be called art. If a documentary photog captures a moment and excludes some of what was seen; presenting an image to make a point - that is not art, but good craft (aesthetic journalism?). Like her work or not the cabbage lady is an artist (not a photographer) using her camera as a tool (like a brush) to produce images (not seen) for her clients.

The documentary shot of a couple of monks with police holding them down comes to mind, that was printed in newspapers. The original image included a gang of monks that had been throwing rocks at those policemen. Inclusion of this in the printed image would have produced a different story and justification of the police actions.

I've seen a lot of Facebook style postings here, more since the name change. Many have been posted under the guise of learning, fair enough... that's what this community wants, no problem.

Perhaps photography is being devalued everyday

Seems to me, some of the proliferation of photos have a basis in the perceived need to contribute to the concept of community, without regard to the value of what is shown or said; add some self indulgence and it equals boring. Nothing wrong with boring, it's just... well... boring.

The link is a good one, because it can make the reader think... (it made me do so)
    Rags
    edited September 9, 2012
    Hey kdog... did you put the moon there?... (a Lik job?)... :D

Nice shot... thumb.gif
    Rags
    edited September 9, 2012
    torags wrote: »
    Hey kdog... did you put the moon there?... (a Lik job?)... :D

Nice shot... thumb.gif
    Thanks, Rags. No it's real and took a lot of planning and effort to get. Had I known the whole genre was crap, I wouldn't have bothered! rolleyes1.gif
    edited September 9, 2012
    B.D., that is exactly what I meant by "technology has decidedly outpaced evolution and sensory overload has created chronic cultural ADD". We have some pretty freakin' amazing technology at our disposal now, if you ask me, but what with the normal human need for recognition (lest we be left behind to be eaten by a predator), we're collectively still mostly at the "monkey discovers button" stage and all that gleeful pushing has resulted in image overload.

I would bet there were legitimate laments when paints and brushes became more widely available, and there were laments of how magazines would ruin it for good writers. Neither one turned out to be true, of course. Slowly but surely, as with all previous advances in the arts, a standard will come to be understood by the collective and those who strive to reach the highest bar will rise above the flotsam and jetsam of the everyday.

We have the ability to vote with our dollars (and our "likes" and such). I personally won't pay money to go see crappy art, regardless who does it. Nor do I make purchases of items featuring crap images. I suppose it may be said that those of us who take photography seriously have a duty and an obligation to teach; a lot of this should be part and parcel of the childhood educational process, whether in a traditional setting or home schooling. Heck, I've gotten into it (mildly) here about the difference between a true photograph and a graphic created with a photo and Photoshop. (Hint: too much PS does not a true photograph make.)

PJ.

"Where beauty moves and wit delights and signs of kindness bind me; there, oh there, whe'er I go I leave my heart behind me." (Thomas Ford, 1607)
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Huh. I like babies with cabbages on their heads. I like photos of moonrises over big rocks. Maybe I'm not snobbish enough-- I even think that movable type was a good idea.

And I think everyone should be allowed to try to create art, regardless of aptitude. I even have a watercolor set I drag out from time to time to embarrass myself with. (No doubt the great masters are shaking their heads in disgust because I don't grind my own pigments.)

This kind of thing has been going on for centuries across all sorts of media. It doesn't stop the great stuff from being great or the bad stuff from being bad.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,952 moderator
    edited September 10, 2012
    I'm not convinced that the proliferation of cell phone pics on the Web is going to have any lasting impact on the art and craft of photography. Just as cinema didn't spell the death of theater and TV didn't kill cinema (and YouTube hasn't replaced TV), serious photography will survive on its own merits. Yeah, sure, there are billions of disposable images floating around, but we ignore them just like we ignore the millions of bloggers who have nothing interesting to say. Sturgeon's law (90% of everything is crap) is nothing new.

On the other hand, the business of photography will likely be altered in unpredictable ways--weddings may be crowd-sourced, news media may rely more on the free submissions by amateurs, photo editors may become more valuable than photographers. A decreasing number of images will ever find their way to print, and probably in the not too distant future display technology will far surpass print in resolution, color gamut and (especially) dynamic range. But I don't think that any of that is going to substitute for the value some of us place on the product of a fine photographic eye. Photography will survive even if the photograph as physical artifact becomes obsolete.
    Richard wrote: »
    I'm not convinced that the proliferation of cell phone pics on the Web is going to have any lasting impact on the art and craft of photography. Just as cinema didn't spell the death of theater and TV didn't kill cinema (and YouTube hasn't replaced TV), serious photography will survive on its own merits. Yeah, sure, there are billions of disposable images floating around, but we ignore them just like we ignore the millions of bloggers who have nothing interesting to say. Sturgeon's law (90% of everything is crap) is nothing new.

On the other hand, the business of photography will likely be altered in unpredictable ways--weddings may be crowd-sourced, news media may rely more on the free submissions by amateurs, photo editors may become more valuable than photographers. A decreasing number of images will ever find their way to print, and probably in the not too distant future display technology will far surpass print in resolution, color gamut and (especially) dynamic range. But I don't think that any of that is going to substitute for the value some of us place on the product of a fine photographic eye. Photography will survive even if the photograph as physical artifact becomes obsolete.

Well said. But what do you hang on your wall?
    Rags
    kdog wrote: »
    Thanks, Rags. No it's real and took a lot of planning and effort to get. Had I known the whole genre was crap, I wouldn't have bothered! rolleyes1.gif

Most don't know the technical aspect of the shot, besides the resolution & capture. It looks like a sun setting with a moon rising, simultaneously.

How close am I?
    Rags
    Most don't know the technical aspect of the shot, besides the resolution & capture. It looks like a sun setting with a moon rising, simultaneously.

How close am I?
    Spot on, Rags. I researched the date months in advance where the moonrise would occur exactly at sunset. That happens maybe once a year like this. Also taken into account is the azimuth of the moonrise which tells you where on the horizon that the moon will rise. Armed with that information, I arrived in Sedona well before the moonrise and drove around with a compass and scouted a location with the view I wanted of Cathedral Rock as viewed at the same angle as the moonrise. I climbed up on a knoll set up my tripod and sat staring at this damn rock as the sun sank lower and lower into the horizon at my back. Amazingly, just when I was worried it wouldn't happen, the moon popped up right at peak alpenglow on the red rocks and I got my shot.

This shot is not original of course. It's just another one of those iconic southwestern bucket list shots. Although, variances in the orbits of the celestial objects in question will make each one of these shots unique. I really lucked out on the timing on this one because the color was exquisite.

So yeah, given the months of planning and a couple of days invested to get a shot like this, I do reserve the right to get my panties in a bunch when someone equates the whole genre to the likes of a cell phone snapshot. :giggle
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    Rags, cool your jets. I'll get back to this topic in a couple of days, but my straight forward take is the article didn't come to a conclusion or view beyond there are many, many more banal pictures being captured and shared without any particular intent.

Do you want to lift your storytelling above the fray?
    michswiss wrote: »

Do you want to lift your storytelling above the fray?

How do I do that ?
    Rags
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    NYT wrote:
    A photograph is no longer predominantly a way of keeping a treasured family memory or even of learning about places or people that we would otherwise not encounter. It is now mainly a chintzy currency in a social interaction and a way of gazing even further into one’s navel.

I think this statement is complete bullshit. If anything, the proliferation of cell phones and social media have given family members, especially those who are spread out, to share their lives with not only other family members but their friends. Calling those photos "chintzy currency in a social interaction" is pretty disingenuous.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    ian408 wrote: »
    I think this statement is complete bullshit. If anything, the proliferation of cell phones and social media have given family members, especially those who are spread out, to share their lives with not only other family members but their friends. Calling those photos "chintzy currency in a social interaction" is pretty disingenuous.

I agree Ian. Actually the proliferation may make family "prints" more valuable.

I suspect access to digital family shots will be basically unaccessable due to the number (without titles). It will be like looking thru a full dumpster for a postcard.

I'm perplexed by photographers who keep their stuff on tetra bit hard disks.
    Rags
    I suspect access to digital family shots will be basically unaccessable due to the number (without titles). It will be like looking thru a full dumpster for a postcard.

That's where services like SmugMug and other sharing sites could offer products that were more archival in nature (and less sharing).

The big danger is probably more the proliferation of Facebook sharing and the possibility those services go away and those photographs are just gone.
    ian408 wrote: »
    That's where services like SmugMug and other sharing sites could offer products that were more archival in nature (and less sharing).

The big danger is probably more the proliferation of Facebook sharing and the possibility those services go away and those photographs are just gone.

That's a good idea.

I'm sure facial recognition will play a role in archival retrieval but the amount of mis hits would be beyond human scale (my guess)
    Rags
    That's a good idea.

I'm sure facial recognition will play a role in archival retrieval but the amount of mis hits would be beyond human scale (my guess)

Facial recognition is pretty good. And it you've only got to search the pool of known images (ie; friends and family), it'll be pretty easy. The real issue will be training people to archive or providing them tools to make that easy for them.

I guess this whole topic was discussed when the Brownie came out and probably again when the Instamatic and Polaroid did again (albeit in smaller groups :)).
    edited September 11, 2012
    I don't know why I'd not seen this little documentary until today, but not only is it fitting for this day of remembrance, it addresses the power of a single image and therefore seems relevant to share on this thread.

The Falling Man

PJ.

edited September 11, 2012
    I don't know why I'd not seen this little documentary until today, but not only is it fitting for this day of remembrance, it addresses the power of a single image and therefore seems relevant to share on this thread.

The Falling Man

PJ.

Wow.... well done vid and fitting post for today
    Rags
  • anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    The irony in this thread is palpable.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    The irony in this thread is palpable.

Very true.

The discussion of digital photos, families, and archives is a prime example. There is a company out there that's already worked out a system to deal with all of those problems, and it's in use daily by ordinary people. But there's a reason it might not have been mentioned already. Let's work through it, starting with a summary of some of the questions already asked:

Q: How can a family possibly organize their photos in a way they could be found in the future?
    A: Well, they oughta tag 'em.

Q: Who wants to tag 10,000 photos?
    A: Face recognition would speed that up quite a bit.

Q: Won't face recognition take up too much resources, false hits, etc.
    A: Picasa, iPhoto, Aperture, Facebook, etc. already have consumer-friendly face recognition in the market.

Q: Wouldn't there be other ways of organizing family photos other than individuals?
    A: Oh, maybe by key life events, events with friends and family...

Now let's talk about the company that is doing this.

As you import photos, it's already checking your contact list for face matches. That dramatically lowers the computational requirements because the universe of faces is suddenly very small. To avoid false hits, it asks you to confirm the faces it's identified. Since you want the photos to be in the context of family history, the album is dated and you can assign a location. It will appear on a historical timeline next to other photos and events entered at different times.

What you have, in the end, is a virtual photographic diary, automatically arranged by time, searchable by family member, event, location...

What I just described is how Facebook already works.

The irony I'm talking about is that I suspect a lot of the people who are asking these questions might be some of the same people who often post how much they hate Facebook and never use it. Now, I hate Facebook as much as the next guy, but I sort of have to use it, and sort of fortunately, this means I have some understanding of what they're doing and I have to admit some aspects are pretty well thought out. To integrate Facebook Timeline/Events/Albums/Locations in a useful way requires a ton of personal information, which is why we hate Facebook, but they have certainly worked out a blueprint for organizing a family's digital life. (Which I hope someone else can do much better.)

Q: Oh, but isn't Facebook evil so they keep all your stuff? What happens if they fold, is your family screwed?
    A: You should use the option that lets you download a copy of your entire account, including every photo album you ever uploaded. I do this every year or so.
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    I read, "An absolute must read" so I figured I must read it so I did. I read it three times to try to figure out why it's an absolute must read or even - no disrespect intended, bdcolon, - why it would be a should read.

The guy's writing from Perpignan; if you're writing from there, it's best you either have something to say or you say something loudly. He's an effective wordsmith but he contradicts himself. Hopefully he's a better photographer than he is a blogger. I don't think he thought much about what he wrote here.

This "The question is: How does the photographic community harness this explosion of visual energy to expand its audience? This is what needs to be focused on." seems kind of like an effete Chicken Little. If he has any thoughts about it, it might be interesting to know what they are.

I think he's just got enough hot air to rise up and float around and be visible.
  • Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    colourbox wrote: »

Q: Oh, but isn't Facebook evil so they keep all your stuff? What happens if they fold, is your family screwed?
    A: You should use the option that lets you download a copy of your entire account, including every photo album you ever uploaded. I do this every year or so.

This is excellent, I had no clue. Thanks, colourbox.
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    Good link, I saw that too. I don't mind the flood of images, I've come to filter well and I've come to rely on good curation as well. Even in the midst of the tsuami there are places to find good photography, from websites to tumblr (may I humbly suggest the curation of mpdrolet on tumblr). And certainly, James Estrin himself is part of the solution since his curation as editor of NYT's Lensblog is well appreciated. My browser opens to it every morning. He is also a very good photographer btw.

I do think the fact that everyone is a photographer now will increase the appreciation for serious photography but only by a small percentage. When I started getting serious about photography five years back or so, I gravitated to certain tastes and genres. There was a lot I didn't "get" or like. My tastes have changed substantially and artists like Friedlander or Sternfeld, Shore and Soth, are now some of my favorites (among many others). But I don't think a majority end up making that leap. Most people much prefer Robert Kincaid to Goya, and that's okay ... sort of ....

All of that said, I do believe the biggest impact is on the ability to make a living for the truly gifted committed photographers, and by that I mean those with a real vision and something to say. But that has always been a problem for artists. Sure, it's tough to rise above the ever-increasing noise but the one's that do, that push the hardest or have the vision and the drive to claw their way to the surface (and the trust fund), will still be appreciated, even if it isn't necessarily by the "masses."

For myself, a person of middling talent who just started to get good enough to get magazine assignments when the bottom dropped out, I see no chance to make a living with photography. I'm starting to believe this may have been a blessing. I've refocused and continue to refine my personal work, still skipping around yet trying to settle down within at least a handful of multiple personalities, but finding the joy in the avocation of truly trying to "see" as opposed to succumbing to the soul suck of shoving the roundness of personal fulfillment into the unforgiving square hole of commercial vocation. There is still hope for enough scratch from the "right" kind of work to pay for equipment. (ahem, Le Monde, still waiting for that wire transfer) and I can live with that.

In the end, I just want a coherent body of work that evolves and for which I can be proud as I continue to change the way I see the world. Someday maybe someone will even "get it."
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2012
    Obviously since you do not know, James Estrin is a very accomplished photographer for The New York Times. He is also the editor of NYT's LensBlog which, for me, is a godsend of good curation. He also often sleeps under his desk. No joke.

He is channeling the angst that many committed professional documentary photographers, photojournalists and others are feeling right now within those communities. To those serious enough and talented enough to sacrifice everything, up to and including their lives, the ability to make a living from this work, and therefore the ability to do this work at all for so many truly talented visual storytellers, is very much in jeopardy. It ain't chicken little at all when you got Pultizer (and World Press Photo) winners who can't get work, end up working at Walmart, or worse, shooting weddings full time.

So, I think his question is a good one, and one everyone is asking, and for which there really are no answers in a landscape that is changing with exponentially increasing speed.

marionet wrote: »
    I read, "An absolute must read" so I figured I must read it so I did. I read it three times to try to figure out why it's an absolute must read or even - no disrespect intended, bdcolon, - why it would be a should read.

The guy's writing from Perpignan; if you're writing from there, it's best you either have something to say or you say something loudly. He's an effective wordsmith but he contradicts himself. Hopefully he's a better photographer than he is a blogger. I don't think he thought much about what he wrote here.

This "The question is: How does the photographic community harness this explosion of visual energy to expand its audience? This is what needs to be focused on." seems kind of like an effete Chicken Little. If he has any thoughts about it, it might be interesting to know what they are.

I think he's just got enough hot air to rise up and float around and be visible.