Options

Apple Butter and Cowboys

rexbobcatrexbobcat Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited September 9, 2012 in People
Some more photos from from an assignment for one of my college photography classes/school paper. I went to the National Cowboy Symposium hosted in my town as well as the Apple Butter Festival hosted in a neighboring little town.

At the symposium I met quite a few interesting people. Most were older and had quite a bit of history behind them, and they're not shy about telling you about it, which I thought was cool :) . The Apple Butter Festival, in contrast, but mostly comprised of younger families with small children.

Jean Hastings, a 56 year resident of Idalou, TX, enjoys the festivities at the Cowboy Symposium. She was raised on a ranch in Wellington, TX, and will be 82 in November. She rented out chuck wagons for the event.

7962834096_cd61e6b655.jpg

Mrs. Peggy pippin is cooking some chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, apple cobbler, and green beans for visitors of the symposium.

7962685570_a1e708dafb.jpg

Two dancers, both of Comanche Indian heritage, celebrate a powwow of various Native American tribes.

7962684600_93f6d6774d.jpg

This is Roy Baugh, who is half Caddo Indian and half Cajun. He was telling me all about his heritage and about the Native American culture of the area and several gatherings (powwows) in the area. It was so funny, because he said that the feather that he's wearing down the side of his face symbolizes that his tribe is still at war with the white man, but he, himself has served over 40 years in the US military.

7962369154_3fce4ba6f8.jpg

Three year-old Gabe and two year-old Mitch pick apples with their family Saturday at the Apple Butter Festival in Idalou.

7962683408_3e1143b15e.jpg

Whatchu talkin' bout Willis?

7962385302_8224f76fbc.jpg

I know this isn't a "people" shot but I thought I'd include it anyways as kind of a contextual photo...and I didn't want to start a one photo thread. lol

7962389726_2648c738b9.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PhotogbikerPhotogbiker Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Very good stuff. Getting to know the people and their story first, then telling it in your photograph is what it is all about. And you did it well here. Pictures tell the story on their own, then you fill in the details that make it even more interesting.

A couple thougts....
    1. Seems a bit far away, as if you snapped it as she walked by. Since it appears you talked to her and got her story, you should have a closer more intimate picture (or 2 or 3...). Maybe a face shot, maybe a close up of the turquoise necklace with her hand, etc......

2. Fantastic! Says it all.

3. Would have liked to see her face more. Might get lower. Don't know how tall you are, but often us men will stand and shoot shorter people and the pics give the impression you are looking down on everyone. Get on your knees, squat, lay on your back. Change the perspective.

4. Love it. You could make a number of different portraits from this, but great as it is too.

5 and 6. Great "seeing", perfect exposure, color, and focus point. Again, think about perspective. On your knees for 5 might have improved it.

7. Perfect for stock. Something everyone can relate to, and good negative space upper left for copy. Shooting good stock shots while at events like this can give you variety in your pics, and make a buck or two if you keep at it.

Nice stuff. Keep posting!thumb.gif
  • Options
    GothamGotham Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    4 is the winner here. Great shot, and the B&W gives it a sense of timelessness.