Options

Focusing speed in the dark with the 1Dx and Focus Assist. Some lenses suck.

JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
edited September 10, 2012 in Cameras
Are there different types of USM motors in the lenses? I ask because last night I decided to go play natural light shooter where it was necessary to crank up ISO 24k to get a decent shutter speed at say f2 on 2 of the lenses I was trying (the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8) Both of those lenses with the assistance of a focusing beam from a 580EXII set to not fire (except of course use the AF assist beam.)

Camera was set to single shot (otherwise the AF assist of the 580EX would had been useless..) and those 2 mentioned lenses just were DOGS. Complete DOGS. If I popped on any of my L glass (16-35, 24-70, 70-200) almost instant focusing.

So I'm guessing there is something different in the focusing system between L and Non-L glass??? Disappointed I couldn't at least use my 50/1.4 for shots (at about f2) and honestly having never been able to shoot in such low light before (while the 5DII has ISO 24K it's not something I'd ever use vs the 1Dx)

Comments

• Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Yes, there is a difference in USM, google "ring type USM vs rod type USM" or something like that.

However, both the 50 1.4 and the 85 1.8 have the newer type of USM, as far as I know. Maybe I'm wrong about the 50 1.4, but I know I'm not wrong about the 85 1.8... Only the super-cheap lenses like the 50 1.8 have truly abysmal AF motors...

I would love to hear more about what you mean by "dogs". Did they not acquire focus well? Were they just slow, but still focusing accurately? Front-focus or back-focus maybe? Or were they just completely hit-and-miss?

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2012
    I would love to hear more about what you mean by "dogs". Did they not acquire focus well? Were they just slow, but still focusing accurately? Front-focus or back-focus maybe? Or were they just completely hit-and-miss?

=Matt=

Matt-

By "Dogs" I mean, they would take anywhere from 1-4 seconds to lock focus, if they even locked focus. Stupid me should had done manual focus, it would had been faster and probably more accurate. If I put my L lenses on the focus lock was almost immediate.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Matt-

By "Dogs" I mean, they would take anywhere from 1-4 seconds to lock focus, if they even locked focus. Stupid me should had done manual focus, it would had been faster and probably more accurate. If I put my L lenses on the focus lock was almost immediate.

That doesn't sound right. Since your signature tells me you have experience with other camera bodies, don't those bodies focus well with your 50 and 85? It defies logic to think that the 1DX should be somehow crippled to only work well with high-end lenses. If anything, EVERY lens you put on a flagship body, even the cheapest, should work a little better than on a lesser body. I'm sure you would agree!

Clean the lens contacts, check the focus calibration using a tripod, cable release, and immobile high-contrast subject, ...and if all else fails, send things in for calibration / service.

I'm sure others will have a few other suggestions as to why these lenses might be focusing worse on the 1DX.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited September 9, 2012
    Canon has the following AF motor technologies:

Micro-Motor
    Micro-Motor USM
    Micro-Motor USM II
    Ring USM
    Stepper-Motor

The simple micro-motor is used in the basic and entry level consumer lenses, and has the advantages of being light and cheap to produce. It has relatively little torque but can run at a fairly high speed. Unfortunately, lenses with this technology generally have poorer focus accuracy than any of the USM technologies. Micro-motor driven lenses have an audible "hum" in operation, due to the motor type and gearing involved.

The Micro-Motor USM and Micro-Motor USM II are similar in size to the micro-motor, but they use the principle of piezo vibrations to drive the motor segments at a very high frequency, improving focus accuracy and with little noise. Since they use gear trains there can be some sound from the gears, and the AF speed is generally not up to sports standards. (The total driven weight of the lens elements being focused along with the gear ratios helps to determine AF speed.) The difference in these 2 types of motor relates to their size, but performance is similar

Ring USM is a more "direct drive" approach to AF motor technology and presents the current best in AF speed and accuracy. Canon's best sports lenses tend to use ring-USM AF motor technology. Since there is no gearing involved, ring-USM lenses move very quietly and the motor is intrinsically self-braking.

Stepper-Motor drive is the latest AF motor technology and only available in the "STM" series lenses. While these are the newest lenses in the Canon lineup, so they are not known very well, they are noted for being quiet and fast. Because stepper motors can know focus positions through counting the finite steps and rotations, both focus direction and focus distance information should be available to the host body. I am not aware of any current Canon body using this direction and/or distance information, but benefits for both still image and (especially) video applications may soon be able to leverage the information to improve focus accuracy and focus repeatability. (Programmed follow-focus and repeatable focus pulls are predictable future capabilities.)

The following is a list of current USM motor, lens applications (courtesy Canon-Europe):

Ring-type USM
    EF 14mm f/2.8L II USM
    EF 20mm f/2.8 USM
    EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM
    EF 28mm f/1.8 USM
    EF 35mm f/1.4L USM
    EF 50mm f/1.4L USM
    EF 85mm f/1.8 USM
    EF 85mm f/1.2L II USM
    EF 100mm f/2 USM
    EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    EF 135mm f/2L USM
    EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM
    EF 200mm f/2L IS USM
    EF 200mm f/2.8L USM
    EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM
    EF 300mm f/4L IS USM
    EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM
    EF 400mm f/4 DO IS USM
    EF 400mm f/5.6L USM
    EF 500mm f/4L IS USM
    EF 600mm f/4L IS USM
    EF 800mm f/5.6L IS USM
    EF-S 60mm f/2.8 Macro USM
    EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM
    EF 17-40mm f/4L USM
    EF 20-35mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM
    EF 24-85mm f/4-5.6 USM
    EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
    EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM
    EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM
    EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM
    EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    EF 70-200mm f/4L USM
    EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM
    EF 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 DO IS USM
    EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM
    EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM
    EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
    EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM
    EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Micro USM
    EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
    EF 28-200mm f/3.5-5.6 USM
    EF 55-200 f/4.5-5.6 II USM
    EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
    EF 75-300mm f/4.5-5.6 III USM

Micro USM II
    EF 28-105mm f/4-5.6 USM
    EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 II USM
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    edited September 9, 2012
    I'm afraid that I would have to see the scene being photographed before I would comment on what particularly might have happened in this instance.

I do know from my own experience that reflections from mirror or glass surfaces, as well as specular lights in the background, will potentially throw off "any" current passive AF system. There are probably other circumstances I'm forgetting too.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 10, 2012
    Ziggy, I'll get some pics as soon as I get them processed...