Options

First time with a strobe

AlTheKillerAlTheKiller Registered Users Posts: 192 Major grins
edited September 13, 2012 in People
Learned a lot today. Mostly that I need more lights, a larger back drop and to turn the power UP! Main reason why they ended up in B&W is because my hot lamps mixed with the strobe didnt do too well :rofl white balance was all over the place and the skin tone was odd :rolleyes

any who, here are the few pictures out of the series I enjoyed

7965972634_87e425370c_z.jpg

7965971342_71f44941fd_z.jpg

7965970420_881ec23d89_z.jpg

7965969594_727c4ecc83_z.jpg

feel free to critique them if you would like :)

Comments

• Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited September 9, 2012
    Catchlight in her eyes are really odd, on the last one there is a boomerang shaped catchlight just at the edge of her iris in addition to the small and larger round catchlights in her pupil.
    Just and observation really....

Where you going for high key?
    I also like the slight grain visible in the image, kinda neat as a film like effect.
    I like the lighting on the first one best :D
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2012
    more on the side of high key. I think that works better when you have an all white back ground but again Im new to studio shoots and trying to learn haha

the grain is from having to crop so much on the full body shots. For the first one I think its just from using my "cheap" lens.

The back drop I have isnt wide enough and so to get a full body shot, I have to crop in really far. I actually had to use the clone tool on the left side of the full body ones to clone out my blinds haha. That along with a not so nice lens I think are the issues in that aspect.

I still need to get a wireless controller for the strobe instead of using the on camera flash to trigger the strobe. I tried blocking the on camera flash with my hand but I forgot to a few times :/
  • Options
    edited September 9, 2012
    I assume you are a Nikon shooter then and are using CLS to trigger your lights via photocell?

What lens did you use?

The general rule for killing the backdrop is to set the lights a stop more then the mains I believe. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone here will correct me :D I think you did a good job for it being your first time btw.....
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    good start I think - can you show one in color anyway ?
  • Options
    I am indeed a nikon user. I used the 18-55mm lens as I did not have enough room to back away from my subject and use my 50mm or 102mm. Apartment living makes an indoor studio a challenge haha. I may end up stealing a room at my fathers house to set up at. He has a game room that is completely empty.

Edit: I am at work right now but later when I get home I'll get up a color one and an example of a before the crop haha
  • Options
    D3SshooterD3Sshooter Registered Users Posts: 1,187 Major grins
    Good trial, however one does not always need more light. Less lights can made the picture more interesting. The play of light and shadows are very important. In these pictures (except 1) I see what we call " Flat light ". Try once a off camera flash and a reflector panel... that alone works great.
    A photographer without a style, is like a pub without beer
  • Options
    Thank you for the tip! I'll give that a try tonight. Would you care to elaborate on the position of where the reflector would go in relation to the strobe?
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    I'd purchase a good reflector before another light. One light can be enough with a reflector. Move your light to a 45 angle both side to side and up and down. I love a gal who plays bass!!
  • Options
    Hackbone wrote: »
    I'd purchase a good reflector before another light. One light can be enough with a reflector. Move your light to a 45 angle both side to side and up and down. I love a gal who plays bass!!

Thank you! I do have a pretty nice reflector. Or atleast I think it is. It's one of those 5 in 1 deals with the diffuser, gold, silver, white and black. Can't think of the brand off the top of my head. I got it at wolf camera some years ago.
  • Options
    Just about anything will do that is white/silver. Other colors will tend to alter the skin color. White mat board is a good choice. Don't always have to go expensive.
  • Options
    Do you guys think the alien bees 800 would have enough power to handle a 32"x40" soft box? Or is that too big?
  • Options
    I"ve got a 400 White Lightning in a 4x6 and I never use it at more than half power. With too much power you can't back it down power wise enough. You want your box as close as you can get it to the subject.
  • Options
    Straight out of camera

DSC_0248-1.jpg

Edit: Just did a very quick 2 minute shoot and got these (both SOOC):

7974858764_a799dd195c_z.jpg

7974858549_c413160b3d_z.jpg

how is the exposure, skin tone, shadows. . . ?

not really concerned with the pose or subject matter.
  • Options
    aashtonaashton Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 11, 2012
    Very nice, a bit of tonal contrast to emphasize?
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2012
    Looking at your set up I'd go for some wider paper to give your models a little more breathing room. I know the 103" paper would be a bit more than you wanted but I know it's also available in 79" I believe. That would give you more space with the 18-55 to go wider without having to clone out the areas where the paper runs out.

Getting back to the lighting, you have already gotten some really good advice so I won't add to that for now and I'b curious to see what else you come up with in addition to the impromptu shoot you posted already.
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2012

7981548429_7fd52a83a8_z.jpg

7981548657_12536f2505_z.jpg

#3 she was just being silly for this one haha

7981551096_825f643cd1_z.jpg

I think I had the strobe set a bit too high up. Any C&C is welcome. For the most part I am looking for critique on the lighting. :)