help with soccer portraits

grovergirlgrovergirl Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited September 10, 2012 in Sports
I'm shooting a boys u12 soccer team tomorrow. individual portraits and a group shot. what's your favorite pose? last two years in a row, i had them kneeling with ball on ground. i'm thinking standing with ball under crook of arm. but should i be higher than them or lower than them??

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited September 10, 2012
    Definitely be slightly higher than them but not too much. Ball under crook of arm is good for U12, do not have them sit on the ball (that's better for the younger kids). Try for a serious look as well as a smile for each. Shoot with just enough DOF to get the nose and eyes sharp, letting everything else fall off. Watch the bg!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Here's one idea. IIRC, I had the camera about level with their chest.

1037044564_GfjUQ-XL.jpg
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • grovergirlgrovergirl Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    I like the full body shot, but I think it makes the person's face too small. Do you think it's okay to get 3/4 of the body and leave out the feet?
  • ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    grovergirl wrote: »
    I like the full body shot, but I think it makes the person's face too small. Do you think it's okay to get 3/4 of the body and leave out the feet?

I would have thought the feet would be an important part of the photo due to the sport they are playing. (FOOTball)
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
  • grovergirlgrovergirl Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    forceghost wrote: »
    i would have thought the feet would be an important part of the photo due to the sport they are playing. (football)

you have a point there, mate!
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    grovergirl wrote: »

Sure, I used to do that for baseball, then the following year I remembered I had this cool thing called a zoom lens, so I would get both - one full body, and one from the hips up, for each kid. It was interesting to see who ordered what. I think the full body shot makes the kids look "big", and I think especially for soccer the shorts, socks, and cleats complete the uniform.

And, what ForceGhost said.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.