An Evening At The Fair

TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited August 13, 2013 in Street and Documentary
A representation from one evening at PA's Grange Fair this year.

DSC_8076.jpg

DSC_8080.jpg

DSC_8109.jpg

DSC_8097.jpg

DSC_8117.jpg

DSC_8138.jpg

DSC_8185.jpg

DSC_8203.jpg

DSC_8209.jpg

DSC_8215.jpg

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    These are nice snapshots for your own use, but they really don't fit in a "Documentary"
    forum. #3 is the closest fit. Next time in a venue like this, try to capture people
    experiencing the fair, not just scenes at the fair if you're interested in Documentary
    photography.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012
    I'm gonna disagree with Tony on one point-- fairs and rides are certainly "fair" game for the photojournalist. I've certainly seen plenty of this type of picture in news and news magazine articles.

Having said that:

A lot of these don't seem to have a well defined subject. The last few seem haphazardly framed and shot, and I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at. (What's supposed to be under the tent with the christmas lights?) #6-- and you really need to number your entries-- has blurry foreground, subject, and background. Many of these shots seem dim.

The basics of good photography don't change just because we're moving fast-- the rules of composition, exposure, etc. don't get tossed out the window just because you're not in a studio setting. And you need to clearly tell your story or theme. I know that the "WTF" factor is very prized on this forum, but the WTF should come from, for example, a juxtaposition of incongruous events, and not because we're confused about the photographer's intent.

Of them, I like the 2nd one: with the fore, mid, and background all being the same guy, or his caricature. thumb.gif

Keep shooting, hope to see more from you.
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    Good points, Tony and Mark. Numbering and limiting the images really helps others comment constructively on your stuff. Each of the images have technical issues around exposure, blur or focus. But what's missing is a visual narrative. Something that ties the images together into a story. Having people front and centre (metaphorically) really makes a difference. In this group, the 5th shot is the one that best holds my interest. It just needs some exposure and colour balance work done to pull it together.
  • TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    Thanks gents. Pics numbered now and the equip used was a D7000 with Tamron 28-70 MF.

I do take issue with the word "snapshot" being used. There was at least one full walkaround each subject for perspective and compositional considerations. I probably should have taken my tripod along. As it was, most were shot at ISO 800 and less than 1/50 sec exposures. I did not want to go with higher ISO for noise reasons, and the lens was mostly used wide open (3.5-4.5)- the light was that low. I'd be interested in suggestions as how to better handle a situation like this one in the future.

I had intentionally kept the images on the dark side because the actual experience was just that- I tried to keep it authentic to the experience.
    Now that it has been said, there should be more people-as-subject images included, and I have some. I am puzzled by the comment that the series does not belong in the Doc forum- there was nothing in the sticky to indicate people-only. Am I missing something? I am new to the whole documentary thing in imagery.

Suggestions: how would you have made a documentary series at the fair? How would you choose the images?
    I wouldn't bring a tripod. You'll lose more than you gain. I would shoot at a higher ISO-- I believe that your camera is well known for its high ISO capabilities.

You might also want to consider investing in a fast prime lens. They're pretty inexpensive, and the added light collection abilities more than make up for lack of zoom, IMO. Besides, for these kinds of shots you zoom with your feet anyway.

More on content later.
  • TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    Tybrad wrote: »
    Thanks gents. Pics numbered now and the equip used was a D7000 with Tamron 28-70 MF.

Now that it has been said, there should be more people-as-subject images included, and I have some. I am puzzled by the comment that the series does not belong in the Doc forum- there was nothing in the sticky to indicate people-only. Am I missing something? I am new to the whole documentary thing in imagery.

Suggestions: how would you have made a documentary series at the fair? How would you choose the images?

It was not my intent to imply that there are "rules" about what can be
    used in this "Documentary" forum. There aren't.

However, if you browse the body of posts to this forum you will see that
    most of the images either involve either what people do or what people
    have done. That's the "documentary" aspect.

When you come across an image of a couch set out on the curb, with
    no people in the shot, it's still documentary in that it shows what we
    think is disposable and someone's changing taste. There's a human
    aspect to the scene.

My suggestion to include people is not a suggestion to meet any
    requirements of the forum, but a suggestion to increase the interest
    factor of your images.

As to what can be done, a photograph of the stand where you toss
    rings to win a goldfish in a bowl is just a snapshot of what was at
    the fair. A photograph of the stand with a child receiving his prize
    can be a good photo for this forum. A photograph of a dropped
    and broken goldfish bowl and a dead fish can be a good photo for this
    forum documenting the tragedy even though there is no person in
    the photograph.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
    As to the dim vs. dark-- on my calibrated monitor, your brightest points in your photos are generally too dark. Bright light should be bright! Raising the top quarter tones will give the pictures some more punch, while still saying dusk/night.
  • TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited September 13, 2012
    OK thanks guys. Will take some of the advice!
    Mark- I am new to computer processing. Are you speaking merely of gamma adjust? If not, the how to accomplish the "top quarter tones" (a term I am not familiar with)?
    edited September 13, 2012
    Tybrad wrote: »
    OK thanks guys. Will take some of the advice!
    Mark- I am new to computer processing. Are you speaking merely of gamma adjust? If not, the how to accomplish the "top quarter tones" (a term I am not familiar with)?

No, just the brightest 25% or so of the histogram.

Bright lights often fool a meter into exposing too dim to try to preserve highlight detail that, frankly, isn't there.

A curve something like this in your favorite image editing program (and this is really rough, lots of tweaks possible):

curve-L.jpg

However, I wouldn't worry too much about that right now-- content is really the key. Some/most of the most arresting images ever made have technical flaws big and small. On the other side of the coin are the technically perfect, histogrammically correct images about nothing-- lipstick on a pig, as it were.
  • southeasternphotographysoutheasternphotography Registered Users Posts: 647 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2013
    State or County Fair imaging and issues
    I ran into a post on LinkedIn referencing Shooting (ummm Photographing) people at "Public" Fairs.

One issue is that some fairs are no longer allowing gear that "looks" professional. Some are banning tripods and monopods. These rules may not even be posted at the entrance. A security guy might just come up and say you have to leave. If so, POLITELY ask if this was posted at the entrance for all to see. If not, then POLITELY ask to talk to the person who can refund your money - and get it!

Another issue is when photographing people. While this is a public event and folks are not suppose to "expect" privacy, there is an ongoing debate about this. I, myself, have no problem with this especially when the people in the image help "set the stage".

Another issue is when photographing minors. This can get you in real trouble by the parents who do not understand the laws concerning photography in public places. Their lack of knowledge and your understanding the knowledge, might not stop you from getting a broken nose! If you pick a certain person and keep shooting just that person and follow just that person around (perhaps because the person really is photogenic and works wonderfully for your "documentary"), I can bet you are going to have some real issue very soon! You can bet that in any crowded place like a fair, there are pedophiles around imaging kids. Note I am not saying the word "shoot" or shooting" for obvious reasons at a fair ;)

I have been "documenting" a yearly fair where I live for the past 7 years. I have never been challenged. I act professional, am courteous, keep my tripod out of the general footpath (usually), and watch all around me very carefully for folks not paying attention to me. Most of the times what I WANT to capture is NOT the people (although I broke that "rule of mine" in 2010). I am mostly capturing the light show - especially the ferris wheel which had upgraded their lights after a few years. Hopefully, as the years go by, you will see my progression, too!

You can see what I do here:
    http://www.southeasternphotography.com/Street-Scenes/Exchange-Club-Fair-Galleries

EDIT: Some fairs that do not allow "professional" equipment MAY give you a PASS you can show when challenged. Their giving you a pass may depend on many variables and restrictions. They may not allow it if you say your intent is to make money. They still may not let you use a tripod or monopod. They may not let you use flash. They may not allow....etc. Before buying your ticket, ask whom to speak to concerning your photographic gear and any restrictions - do not bring the gear with you at this junction! Do not lie and say you are the PRESS if you are not and cannot prove it...that would screw it up for the rest of us.