Options

111 - Farmscapes? And a big question....

sweetharmonysweetharmony Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
edited September 14, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
1. IMG3649v1-M.jpg

2. IMG3624v2drafthorsesbwbpairhea-L.png

3. IMG3618v1-M.jpg

4. IMG3610v1barnandwindmill-L.png

Hi! Welllllll, sooooooo, my understanding is that a "scape" photograph must have strong shapes or lines by definition? Is that correct?

We lucked into a draft horse demonstration over the weekend and I tried to shoot a few images with this challenge in mind. It was a gorgeous day and the horses always such a treat to watch.
I can clean these up further, but I'm not at all sure if they are suitable for the challenge theme. I think the last works (#4) for sure, but what about the images where the horse and driver are more prominent subjects?
Sure would appreciate some input.....

Comments

• Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2012

Hi! Welllllll, sooooooo, my understanding is that a "scape" photograph must have strong shapes or lines by definition? Is that correct?

We lucked into a draft horse demonstration over the weekend and I tried to shoot a few images with this challenge in mind. It was a gorgeous day and the horses always such a treat to watch.
    I can clean these up further, but I'm not at all sure if they are suitable for the challenge theme. I think the last works (#4) for sure, but what about the images where the horse and driver are more prominent subjects?
    Sure would appreciate some input.....

TO answer your question I'd say, depends on who you ask. And 'strong shapes or lines' is perhaps a bit misleading. Shapes and lines are a component of many types of photographs. They need not be strong, but they do have an effect on the observer and can be/ought to be used to advantage.

I disagree that #4 is suitable. I think you missed the mark there by not including the whole of the building.
    tom wise
  • Options
    Thanks, Tom! I value your opinion and agree that number 4 would be better with the whole building......had to go with aggressive crop because other elements below the crop line just wouldn't do.
  • Options
    PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    By definition, scape means "scene" ... yes, I looked it up.
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Thanks, Tom! I value your opinion and agree that number 4 would be better with the whole building......had to go with aggressive crop because other elements below the crop line just wouldn't do.

I suspected that Leah. But no sense in beating around the barn, so to speak~ :)
    tom wise
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    If you can get a good shot of #4 with the rest of the barn, that'd be good.

I also think #3 has some potential. There's enough "scape" in it for sure.
  • Options
    grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,958 Major grins
    I had someone criticize my photos of jumping horses because they said they didn't want to just see the horse's butt. And after I started walking the cross country courses backward, that improved things. So I like #3 the best - better than #1
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • Options
    edited September 12, 2012
    Thanks, all! I think I have a better idea of what we're looking for, now..........
  • Options
    rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    I actually found the scene I want to shoot, based on this conversation, I feel pretty confident I know what I am aiming for...but I have to get up earlier tomorrow to shoot it, I think.... Like all these shots, but....
    Three or Four, if four could have a tree line and some ground rather than two objects coming up out of nothing....
  • Options
    WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    I love #2. But I do not see it as a scape, more of a portrait. Very expressive and the conversion is spot on.
  • Options
    torrbraetorrbrae Registered Users Posts: 203 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    Really like #3 for a scene - feel is a classic scene with the interest in the foreground with interesting trees and sky for background (only pity is the power lines, as a bit "out of time" with the horse & plough, but don't think those would be able to be processed out). Horses well in step and looking slightly to the viewer. Would maybe crop the large tree on the right out.

Agree with WhatSheSaw that #2 is an excellent portraiture, and like the conversion, unfortunately does not fit with a "Scape".
  • Options
    edited September 14, 2012
    Again, thanks! So much to learn here....your comments have all been most helpful. Not sure if I'll stick to the horses or not....we'll see what the weekend yields!