Following The Flutterby

TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
edited September 20, 2012 in Holy Macro
I decided to follow this lil guy around my front yard for a bit. At once- cheeky, skittish, and sometimes accomodating. D7000, 105/4 MF Micro Nikkor. C&C welcomed!

DSC_8349.jpg

DSC_8311.jpg

DSC_8339.jpg

Comments

• Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
  • GOLDENORFEGOLDENORFE Super Moderators Posts: 4,747 moderator
    edited September 15, 2012
    Would prefer to see all of the butterfly or a higher mag shot of head body.
    Don't like cutting wing parts off!
  • TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    Thanks Brian!

Phil- unfortunately, I can only max-out at 1:1.5 with my naked 105 Micro Nikkor at DX crop. So I'm looking into higher mag options. But I just don't know HOW some of you make those magnificent high-mag images with living creatures! 1:1 on a 200 macro, cropped?
    edited September 20, 2012
    Tybrad wrote: »
    Thanks Brian!

Phil- unfortunately, I can only max-out at 1:1.5 with my naked 105 Micro Nikkor at DX crop. So I'm looking into higher mag options. But I just don't know HOW some of you make those magnificent high-mag images with living creatures! 1:1 on a 200 macro, cropped?

You are still at 1:1 with a crop camera.
    You could either get a set of kenko ext tubes which would take you to 2:1 max or perhaps get a Raynox add on diopter which would give approx 2:1 to 3:1 on you 105 lens
    Brian v.
    Without tubes, the 105 is at 1:2. Multiply by 1.6 gives 1:1.6, no? I am looking at a 200 micro Nikkor in the future anyway. Thanks!
    Tybrad wrote: »
    Without tubes, the 105 is at 1:2. Multiply by 1.6 gives 1:1.6, no? I am looking at a 200 micro Nikkor in the future anyway. Thanks!
    Pretty certain that lens is a 1:1 macro lens. The magnification you get is a property of the lens not the camera so it's 1:1 whether it's on a crop camera or a full frame camera. The crop camera may appear to give a more magnified image but that's purely because the image is literally cropped and you enlarge it more to get to the same print size as a full frame camera.
    To be more explicit a 1:1 macro lens will give a 1cm image of a 1cm subject on the sensor- it does not matter what size the sensor is.

Brian v.
    Nope- it is a 105/4 MF and all of them only went to 1/2 on their own (without a PN-11 tube). In any event, I am exploring higher mag options. Thanks!