williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
edited October 15, 2012 in Street and Documentary
Photos-028-L.jpg
2 Corinthians 9:15

williamspics.smugmug.com

Comments

• supermarvin76supermarvin76 Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    I like the story this tells. I lived in Belle Chasse from 2003-2007, and I can feel this scene.
    "The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" -Eleanor Roosevelt, First Lady of the United States, 1945
  • williaeswilliaes Registered Users Posts: 110 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2012
    This was taken today, people still recovering and helping each other out. There is still a huge mess in certain areas.

williamspics.smugmug.com
    edited October 12, 2012
    This never did get any CC?? Not worth commenting about?

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    William,

I missed this one the first time around as I was travelling. I like it and it brings back some of the positive memories of my childhood in Texas. I just wish you'd been a step or two closer and had panned slightly to the right. Thanks for bumping it.
  • seastackseastack Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited October 12, 2012
    michswiss wrote: »
    I just wish you'd been a step or two closer and had panned slightly to the right. Thanks for bumping it.

I agree, the converging lines of the sidewalk would have added some nice depth and balanced things just a bit (I actually like the foreground element of the trash can though). So rather a slight step back and lean to the right would have been perfect? .. but perfect is hard in the moment.

All that said, the most important thing is that I really like this. It's simple and real and interesting. I hope you keep posting work like this from your(?) neighborhood. It looks like an interesting place. Over time you could create a body of work that is quite special.

You might check out the work of Zoe Strauss of Philadelphia. While some it can be a bit abstract, her greatest body of work is about her neighborhood called "Ten Years." It's real. She was just admitted to Magnum this year.
    edited October 15, 2012
    Thanks for the positive feed back and direction. I would like to get more invlovled with documentary style shooting. I enjoy the captured moment that tells the story. I don't have a good eye for it so it will always be a struggle to get the good shots.
    Seastack, this is not my neighborhood. it was down in the 7th ward of New Orleans area just after Hurricane Isaac. My neighborhood is rather boring. I do like the colors and style of houses in that area. I could have spent days just shooting the landscape.

Thanks again.

williamspics.smugmug.com
  • stphotographystphotography Registered Users Posts: 133 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    Nice! ))))