Options

Canned Air?

newbnewb Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited September 15, 2012 in The Big Picture
Not sure if this is the right section. If not I apologize.

So a while back I noticed some dust in my view finder. After removing the lens, I found it was mostly on the focus screen, with a spec on the mirror too. I decided to use some canned air which worked well. I used a few very short burst to avoid getting the charge too cold. Afterwords I checked the focus screen, the mirror and the sensor for debris and found none.

Today, I was doing some reading and found that its not a good idea to use canned air because of the chance of it depositing oily residue. I checked my camera out again and didnt see any residue anywhere. I also havent noticed any weird spots in any of my pictures. My question is, if residue was present on the sensor or mirror would it be easily visible or is it very hard to see? Since its not affecting my pictures, am I correct in thinking that its not there? Thanks.
D7000/D5000 | Nikkor Glass | SB600's | RF602's | CS5/LR3

Comments

• Options
    marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited September 14, 2012
    Wow, what a drag. I emailed Falcon to ask if they have any products w/o bitterants; if they reply, I'll post it here.

If it's not affecting your pictures, a quick go-to answer would be that if there's not a problem, then there's not a problem. Stuff on your mirror shouldn't affect your image unless, maybe, you're using manual focus- and even that seems unlikely.

I've got some dust on my sensor (got a thing to remove it but have been too chicken to use it...) that's noticeable in even, featureless areas like sky, especially when I increase contrast. So I think if you shoot flat blue sky and pump up the contrast, you should see if any gremlins are living on your sensor.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited September 15, 2012
    Remember that canned air also comes out at high speed meaning anything in it will as well. So anything in the can could spread and end up anywhere in the camera.

A Rocket Blower (Gittos) would be the correct tool for the job.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    Remember that canned air also comes out at high speed meaning anything in it will as well. So anything in the can could spread and end up anywhere in the camera.

A Rocket Blower (Gittos) would be the correct tool for the job.

And OR the kit from COPPER HILL ... Rocket Blower 1st then Copper Hill wet method to finsih up the harder to remove things ... ... guess I was fearless when it came to that 1st wet cleaning of my sensor.....but then I also had canned air but remembered what I saw flying on to the PC boards and CRT screens when I worked in computer MFG'ing....so no canned air gets inside of the cameras for me.......the Copper hill Kit will run you about $30 and will last .....well...my has lasted over 3 yrs....then I left it sitting in a motel on a trip....so I am now on my 2nd kit that is going into its 2nd year and I clean for a couple of close friends also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website