West Nile Virus Update

PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
edited September 21, 2012 in Wildlife
We all need to be careful to be aware of West Nile Virus, carried by mosquitoes, which are most active during the dawn and dusk times that are so attractive for photographers. Here is updated information from CDC:

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm

Best, Pam

Comments

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2012
    Good info Pam. Mosquito repellant is a must if you are going out in an area those pests infect. I'm lucky in this a mosquitos don't bite me. After two years in Vietnam, two trips to Africa and eight years in Florida I have never been bitten by a mosquito. I must be the wrong flavor.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    Harryb wrote: »
    Good info Pam. Mosquito repellant is a must if you are going out in an area those pests infect. I'm lucky in this a mosquitos don't bite me. After two years in Vietnam, two trips to Africa and eight years in Florida I have never been bitten by a mosquito. I must be the wrong flavor.

Hmmmmm?headscratch.gifwink
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    Ric Grupe wrote: »

Yep Ric, I have never been bitten by a mosquito in my whole life. It drives Linda crazy. Once we were at the wetlands and the mosquitos were very heavy. Linda stayed in the car while I walked into a cloud of mosquitos to get a shot. When I returned to the car I had no bites. Linda had been bitten four times while staying in the car. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    Harryb wrote: »
    Linda had been bitten four times while staying in the car. rolleyes1.gif

:ivarwings.gifivar
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    Harry, you had me at "after 2 years in Viet Nam." But I feel Linda's pain! Edmund is the same--he is rarely, if ever, bitten, so when I am with him, they are after me twice as much. But this year, even Edmund is using insect repellant, and i've never known him to before. A friend's mother died from in in Denton, TX (near Dallas) recently, and another friend was in the hospital in Baton Rouge for a week, with remaining neurological damage. Most of the time it is not serious, but those of us over 50 or with compromised immune systems are more at risk. This is a good time to be from Florida, which has few or no cases! A better class of mosquitoes, for sure.

Best, Pam
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    We have had it going on out here for a few years now. It really was hard on the birds when it first hit. Some species are just starting to make a comeback. Pick up quite a few dead birds in my own yard
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    That is great advice. West Nile is nothing to mess with. I caught it 6 years ago and was down on my back for about 4 months. It tore up my lungs and many times I didn't know if I was going to live til the next morning.

I am lucky in that I escaped it with no hugely serious after affects. It took at least a year to build back my lungs for what I was used to doing (hiking/climbing in the mountains sometimes past 14,000 ft.)

It also somewhat robbed me of my strength as I used to be able to lift 2, 100 lb. sandbags at a time (I'm a sandblaster) and now lifting one is somewhat of a struggle. That may be due to age though as I am getting a little older (35).
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    That is great advice. West Nile is nothing to mess with. I caught it 6 years ago and was down on my back for about 4 months. It tore up my lungs and many times I didn't know if I was going to live til the next morning.

I am lucky in that I escaped it with no hugely serious after affects. It took at least a year to build back my lungs for what I was used to doing (hiking/climbing in the mountains sometimes past 14,000 ft.)

It also somewhat robbed me of my strength as I used to be able to lift 2, 100 lb. sandbags at a time (I'm a sandblaster) and now lifting one is somewhat of a struggle. That may be due to age though as I am getting a little older (35).

I am sorry you had to deal with the illness, and glad you recovered. I am using insect repellant, which I hate, every day, even in the city. Our doctor in the middle of Austin, TX has had 2 cases, so it is real.

Here's a news flash though: 35 IS NOT OLD!!!!! rolleyes1.gif Just kidding, from your much older friend, Pam