Bird feeders for photography?

MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
edited September 19, 2012 in Wildlife
Has anyone built a bird feeder expressly for photography? Would you like to share some pictures of it?

I am in the planning stages and would love to see some other designs and possibly get some tips and suggestions from people with experience and maybe save some time by not making common mistakes etc.

You input would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Monte

Comments

• Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited September 15, 2012
    Montec wrote: »
    Has anyone built a bird feeder expressly for photography? Would you like to share some pictures of it?

I am in the planning stages and would love to see some other designs and possibly get some tips and suggestions from people with experience and maybe save some time by not making common mistakes etc.

You input would be greatly appreciated.
    They work great. Photos at the feeders themselves are not attractive IMO.

I string some wild grapevines that I cut from the roadways to make a nice perch.

1069881445_4RHJ2-XL.jpg

1118385043_pqeeL-X2.jpg

My feeders are strategically placed outside by bedroom window in the proper light.
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    Ric, where do you shoot from? I mean do you shoot from inside through a glass window, or open window, or outside? If you shoot from inside, I'd like to know what glass cleaner you use, because your windows are a heck of a lot cleaner than mine! Best, Pam
    PGM wrote: »
    Ric, where do you shoot from? I mean do you shoot from inside through a glass window, or open window, or outside? If you shoot from inside, I'd like to know what glass cleaner you use, because your windows are a heck of a lot cleaner than mine! Best, Pam

Usually I lower the upper half of the window...screen previously removed.

I have shot thru a clean window when the weather was unbearable. The problem isn't dirt, it's condensation from my breathe on the viewfinder and window both.

I have a portable blind...but my bedroom is much more comfy and I get a better angle.
  • MontecMontec Registered Users Posts: 823 Major grins
    Wow. Great pictures.
    Love the perches. Gives me food for thought now. Thanks.

Wold love to be able to shoot from inside the house but that is not going to be possible.
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    Ric Grupe wrote: »

Usually I lower the upper half of the window...screen previously removed.

I have shot thru a clean window when the weather was unbearable. The problem isn't dirt, it's condensation from my breathe on the viewfinder and window both.

I have a portable blind...but my bedroom is much more comfy and I get a better angle.

What a good idea! I think I could do something similar. Have to think about the light. Many thanks, Ric! Best, Pamclap.gif
  • marionetmarionet Registered Users Posts: 382 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    Wow, great idea, I never thought of that. I've got a feeder about 100 feet from the house, on a line between 2 trees, because it's pretty safe from my cats (no hits in three years). Some of the birds act like pigs and dominate the feeder but most visit the feeder and then hang out in the trees, and a blind would be good to get them. The birds use anything that's stable, so that's branches, grapevines, bush tops, tight lines, etc. I think you could choose something you feel would make a good picture if a bird perched on it, and put it near your feeder.

Ric, your pictures blow away most of what I've shot; what lens on what body are you using?
    Hey Ric,
    I am curious about the depth of field on these images. EXIF says f/6.3 and f/8 but you have a completely blurred background. Is this because you are very close with the 400mm?

I assume the BG is quite a distance away but just how close are you to the birds? I was out measuring in my yard to see how far away I needed to build the perches from where I will be positioned. I also will use a 400mm a my primary lens so any info would be helpful. Once I build it there is no turning back...
    Cheers,
    Monte
    marionet wrote: »

Ric, your pictures blow away most of what I've shot; what lens on what body are you using?

The 100-400 on a 7D. Remember....I don't post the stinkers!rolleyes1.gif

Also, learning processing techniques are every bit as important as photographic techniques.
    Hey Ric,
    I am curious about the depth of field on these images. EXIF says f/6.3 and f/8 but you have a completely blurred background. Is this because you are very close with the 400mm?

I assume the BG is quite a distance away but just how close are you to the birds? I was out measuring in my yard to see how far away I needed to build the perches from where I will be positioned. I also will use a 400mm a my primary lens so any info would be helpful. Once I build it there is no turning back...

You are correct on all counts.

You have to be close for small birds. I'm 20 feet away.

Attracting the little ones will also attract the larger predators.

CoopersHawk-X2.jpg
    Beauty shot of the hawk.
    I can see it is all about the light. Do you ever use flash?
    Cheers,
    Monte
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    Be careful using flash with birds. In my experience, you must shoot strictly manual flash, and if you're going to shoot off camera you can't use any kind of triggering system that uses light. The birds will jump on the pre-flashes. Yes, their reflexes are that fast. I have a (virtual) trashcan full of images of blurry wings to prove my hypothesis.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
    edited September 18, 2012
    Beauty shot of the hawk.
    I can see it is all about the light. Do you ever use flash?
    Thanks. :D

I never use flash...that's what high iso is for. (I never go past 1000 on that)

Just wait for the right natural light.

BTW...Blue Jays love peanuts in the shell.
    Well, at the risk of arguing with the professor bowdown.gif I'd respectfully offer that flash can help your images on occasion, say with a strongly backlit bird. Using a Better Beamer can really get that flash out there.
    John :
  • MGRPhotoMGRPhoto Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    Ric Grupe wrote: »
    BTW...Blue Jays love peanuts in the shell.

I thought the Blue Jays in my back yard were just nuts... pardon the pun. I was feeding a chipmunk who has been visiting my back yard every morning and afternoon for 3 years. I put a peanut down on the ground to see if he would come get it and ... out of no where blue jay swoops down and grabs it. I was thinking to myself what the hell is a blue jay going to do with a peanut. He took it over to a rock and boom! one shot breaks the thing open. Ever since then, I've put a couple peanuts out on a wall in my back yard and 3 blue jays have become frequent visitors.
    Icebear wrote: »
    Well, at the risk of arguing with the professor bowdown.gif I'd respectfully offer that flash can help your images on occasion, say with a strongly backlit bird. Using a Better Beamer can really get that flash out there.

Do as you please. No arguments here....just my experience FWIW.
    MGRPhoto wrote: »
    I thought the Blue Jays in my back yard were just nuts...

They will take the shelled ones with unshelled peanuts right next to them.:crazy
    Here's my favorite bird feeder. Just a couple snapshots taken in the rain today. Full disclosure: I usually heal the peanut butter stuff out for publication. Oh, no flash was used in the creation of these images mwink.gif

i-P4WZzK4-L.jpgi-nk2xnZP-L.jpg
    John :
    Icebear wrote: »
    Oh, no flash was used in the creation of these images mwink.gif

Well...it's nice to see that you've learned something from this thread.

Cool feeder.:D

And they were shot through double pane glass too. See, I learn from you all the time Ric!
    John :
    edited September 19, 2012
    Feeder & Flash
    Here's a Carolina Wren I shot this morning on my feeder post. It was pretty dark, and the metered exposure at ISO 800 was about 1/60th @ f/5.6, so I popped an off camera SB600 with a Pocket Wizard. FP HSS. 1/800th @ f/5.6. Subj to camera dist ~ 20 ft. Subj to flash dist ~ 10 ft. The flash didn't bother the bird at all, but then the wrens aren't too skittish. One real advantage in using a feeder is that you can somewhat dial in your settings, especially if you do use flash.

i-JR6hwg9-XL.jpg
    John :
    I suppose you really need to watch your composition to avoid harsh shadows.
    Cheers,
    Monte
    I suppose you really need to watch your composition to avoid harsh shadows.
    Yes, especially when it's dark. In brighter light, when you're just trying to pop a little fill, it isn't such a big deal. OTOH, when you're not using flash on a bright sunny day, your shadows can be just as harsh. Remember, hard shadows aren't an artifact of flash. They're an artifact of a small, bright light source . . . like the sun.
    John :