Options

Mobile Upload Work-Flow workaround

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited September 15, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Though this might be old news, I thought I'd share what is for me a recent discovery/work-around for mobile SmugMug uploads. Since a lot of us have been lamenting SmugMug's crappy implementation of an IOS app which doesn't allow for uploads at all and does a poor job of just about everything else, I have had an eye out for a solution that would enable me to upload photos from events right on the spot. For awhile now I have had an eye-fi card and have been using it to shoot tethered to my iPad during portrait shoots for a better view of what I was doing. Only recently, however have I spent any time playing with the eye-fi functionality apart from the ad-hoc tethering. So anyway, it turns out that the IOS eye-fi software allows you to shoot tethered directly into your camera roll. From there you can make minor adjustments in iPhoto or Snapseed, or whatever if you choose, and then save them back to your camera roll. The Eye-fi software will then allow you to choose which photos you want to upload (some or all) and then sends them (full res if you choose) to your (SmugMug) account into a new gallery named with a convention of your choosing. You can select from several options including having the gallery default to public or private. The nice upside is that you can upload any photo or video in your camera roll not just ones put there by your eye-fi card, so camera connection kit or any other method works as well and saves quite a bit of time if you are transferring a lot of photos to your iPad.

Not necessarily seamless, but works great for putting up a few teaser photos into a gallery for immediate viewing especially if you set your camera up to shoot raw & jpeg. :barb

And for those of you who might not be around after your renewal date this works for Zenfolio as well. Though i will say the Zenfolio app allows for uploads and so this might be redundant. I'll be looking into that later.
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com