Fall Sports

MattGoinsMattGoins Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
edited November 22, 2005 in Sports
Football1.jpg

Football2.jpg

Football3.jpg

Football4.jpg

Volleyball.jpgVolleyball1.jpg

Comments and critiques very welcome. Shot with Nikon D1, edited with Photoshop CS.

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    All of them look heavily pixelated. Did you tight crop them after the shot, or is it the low light?
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • MattGoinsMattGoins Registered Users Posts: 44 Big grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Cropped after the shot. The shots aren't very clean, in my opinion. The shot of the quarterback throwing is probably my favorite of the bunch.

The football pics I'm not sure about the pixelation, but the volleyball pic could certainly be a cause of the low light in the gym they play in.
  • ChaseChase Registered Users Posts: 284 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Beyond the pixelation you have reall, really heavy banding, dunno what that is from but it is the regular lines appearing on the images.
    www.chase.smugmug.com
    I just press the button and the camera goes CLICK. :dunno
    Canon: gripped 20d and 30d, 10-22 3.5-4.5, 17-55 IS, 50mm f1.8, 70-200L IS, 85mm f1.8, 420ex
    sigma: 10-20 4-5.6 (for sale), 24-70 2.8 (for sale), 120-300 2.8
    edited November 20, 2005
    Nod, I was wondering if that something that I maybe did while messing around in Photoshop editing the pictures...but no, that's how they look off of the card.
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    hey welcome to dgrin! despite all the noise and lines i think the pictures turned pretty good, i really like the one with the coach and all his players. did you shoot at a high ISO? maybe that's one reason for all the grain. look forward to seeing more!
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    If you flip on that VR/IS system, and get a monopod, you can get some great shots with a very low ISO and rotate it without much blur. Might help out with the grain.
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • JoeLJoeL Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2005
    Im not sure what happened to your images.

They look like they were take at really High ISO in low light because of the Noise an Pixelation. I cant figure out whats up with the banding, thats unusual but may have a cause and correction.

You caught the action and feeling in the Football images but with all the issues with Noise, Pixelation, Banding, Saturation, they are useless.

The Volleyball image is the best of the bunch in my opinion, if it wasnt for the strange banding it would be a really great shot, Volleyball is hard as crap to shoot and even harder to get good images because most Gyms and Schools have terrible lighting. I shoot all my indoor sports with my D1H because its great with low light and Higher ISO settings.

What settings were you using when shooting these images? What Lens and Flash Card were you using? Were your batteries fully charged?, that can be a real problem with the noise and banding.

You may want to go to a sports site and type in "Banding" in the search box and get some information on the causes.
    I will list a site that I use for reference my self.
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/index.html

I shoot ALL my Football and Volleyball for Commercial Sports Clients with the D1H and have never had the things happen that are visible in your images. Please go to my smugmug page and look at mine.

If you have any questions about my settings email me for sure and maybe we can figure out what happened on yours.
    edited November 22, 2005
    Thanks for all the replies and critiques, I appreciate it. My new Canon 350D should be coming sometime in the near future, and will allow me to take some shots with that in the coming weeks with basketball season coming around...and I'll have a better idea if it was something with the camera itself, other factors.

The lens is a...75-200mm Nikon lens, not bad but not top of the line (It's a department camera, so I don't have the exact details about it all on hand). I think we shoot at...400 or 800 ISO (this could be really wrong, I'm thinking from memory) indoors.

Batteries are fully charged (I always charge when I get the equipment, as I don't like it running out on me mid-game).

Flash card I don't know off-hand either.

Again, it'll be interesting to compare these images to my newer ones that I'll be taking with a newer camera that I will be setting up. So...I'll be back for more advice eventually :).