Options

The end of Windows XP

DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
edited September 26, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I can't imagine many if any people still run windows XP, but just in case you do this might be of interest:

http://blogs.adobe.com/photoshopdotcom/2012/09/photoshop-and-windows-xp.html

Adobe announces that Photoshop will no longer support Windows XP.
Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com

Comments

• Options
    jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    that's good to know in advance. A couple of months ago I was about to pull the trigger and get Lightroom 4, but happened to notice that it wouldn't work on XP. Now I have to decide whether it's worth it to upgrade my 32-bit laptop to Windows 7.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    jrogers wrote: »
    that's good to know in advance. A couple of months ago I was about to pull the trigger and get Lightroom 4, but happened to notice that it wouldn't work on XP. Now I have to decide whether it's worth it to upgrade my 32-bit laptop to Windows 7.

Lightroom 4 is not the fastest program.....I'm running it on 2 nicely spec'd machines (workstation with a Xeon w3540, and a laptop with a i7-2670QM) and still speed can be an issue. I'd seriously think about upgrading your hardware if possible before making the switch.
  • Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    Lightroom is a DOG and it's not because of disk access that's for sure. I have multiple SSD's striped and getting 400MB/sec on old SATA2 (Drives are spec'd 3) But Dual XEON from 5 years ago are what's killing me.. Just too damn slow... So hardware is my next essential upgrade.
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    Lightroom is a DOG and it's not because of disk access that's for sure. I have multiple SSD's striped and getting 400MB/sec on old SATA2 (Drives are spec'd 3) But Dual XEON from 5 years ago are what's killing me.. Just too damn slow... So hardware is my next essential upgrade.

Is it still usable? And which processors do you have? I'm just curious in case I need to ever use my backup workstation which is about the same age running a Xeon 5120.
  • Options
    jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    Lightroom 4 is not the fastest program.....I'm running it on 2 nicely spec'd machines (workstation with a Xeon w3540, and a laptop with a i7-2670QM) and still speed can be an issue. I'd seriously think about upgrading your hardware if possible before making the switch.

Thanks. I'd heard that it was slow, so I'm not excited about putting on my laptop. I wonder if LR4 is any slower than the Organizer in PS Elements 7? That is the definition of slowness!
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    LR is a memory hog. If you are running a x32 OS and therefore clamped at 3MB of addressable memory you will end up paging a lot. My newest laptop has 32MB of fast RAM and LR seems rather happy with that. My prior DT at 12MB and things often got dicy, especially once I started opening CS as well.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site