Options

The Bugle of the Bull Elk

Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited September 24, 2012 in Wildlife
I went hiking in the mountains today to try out my new Nex 5n. I also tried out a new (to me) lens I just received, a Takumar 300mm F4 Preset (18 aperture blades).

It is getting into the rut season for elk here in northern Colorado. When you go into the mountains this time of year, you can hear elk bugles echoing through the mountains. It is an awesome sound to hear, especially when you are hiking all alone up in the high country.

Right from the start of the hike today, the elk bugles were numerous. There were many bull elk in the area and they are starting to compete to build their harems. An hour or so into the hike, I heard a loud bugle close by, just up the ridge. I started to climb. Now this time of year you have to be careful getting close to the big bulls, they are pretty touchy and it doesn't take much to set them off.

As I got up to the ridge line, another bugle sounded. It was VERY close. So, I squatted down and started looking through the trees to see if I could spot the bull. It didn't take long to spot him as he slowly moved through the trees (you could hear his antlers hitting against the trees and branches).

I took my time and slowly worked my way towards him. I was none to eager to startle that bull.

7990540667_cf7415c341_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

He had a small harem gathered at the top of the ridge. There were a half dozen cows and a couple of yearlings.

7990540013_b5555897c9_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

7990539317_e12e731210_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

7990538743_61e64ed4b2_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-4 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I sat close the the small herd for about an hour. The bull would bugle every few minutes, answering other bugles from other bulls in the area. On a few occasions, other bulls would get too close and he would run down the side of the mountain to chase them off.

During one the bulls absences, a cow grazed up to within 20 feet of me.

7990547242_586fe0763a_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-5 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

7990537697_cb1775bf1d_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-6 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

I started to get uncomfortable as more bulls were moving into the area. The bull I've been photographing was starting to get more agitated and huffing/bugling a lot, so I took a couple more photos, then eased away from the herd.

7990537243_4e5e860d94_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-7 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

7990536699_c76982e753_o.jpg
15-Sept-2012-8 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

It was a great hike and a memorable experience.

I kind of wish I had my K20D with me since this was my first day out with the Nex 5n and I wasn't real comfortable with it, especially with a 300mm lens. The Nex 5n didn't let me down though.

Comments

• Options
    meandirenemeandirene Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    Very nice
  • Options
    Randy LawsonRandy Lawson Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    Very nice, I love being out there photographing elk, the bugle runs shivers down my spine. Lighting in the woods can be difficult. With the shadows it must have been up in the day when the sunshine was a bit harsh. As a nature photographer you have to deal with what is presented to you at the time.
    Randy
  • Options
    JSPhotographyJSPhotography Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited September 17, 2012
    Wow, great stuff. I chased the Elk here in Michigan all last week. Thought I did pretty good until I saw this. Grab yourself a cow call, easy and effective.
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    Very nice series thumb.gif

Nice bull also!

A bugling bull in the mountains is one of two, of the best sounds available out in the mountains!
    (A steam locomotive whistle echoing in the mountains is the other)
    Randy
  • Options
    PGMPGM Registered Users Posts: 2,007 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    On the one hand, you could say that the trees and shadows hampered your ability to get the best shots of the elk, but really they help make the series, because when I look at all of these I feel as if I had been there in the forest, trying to be still and unobserved. It's like getting a glimpse into a not often seen world. Nice going! Best, Pam
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2012
    i think these are the first wildlife captures I've seen with a Nex. It definitely didn't let you down.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    fool4thecityfool4thecity Registered Users Posts: 632 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    Love 'em! Great shots!