Noise on my 7d

mamaturtlemamaturtle Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
edited September 16, 2012 in Cameras
I bought a Canon 7d (long awaited for me) in March of this year, I got it home and noticed a lot of noise. After many conversations with Canon, I sent it in, they saw the problem and replaced something, for the life of me I can't remember what it was at this moment, got it back. It seemed a little better but I started using it again recently and am having the same problem. Called Canon again and i spoke with someone who said I am using too low of ISO, with my older Canon I used 100 or 200 when I could but she said I need to start around 400 or 800, because this camera is made to use the higher ISO's. So I tried. No luck!

I am trying to upload photos but my files are too big (however I don't want to alter them in any way so you can see the actual image. Ideas?

Comments

• mamaturtlemamaturtle Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited September 16, 2012
    The photo seen is a cropped photo- nothing else changed just so you can see the noise
  • IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    You'll get better info if you evaluate a properly focused image.
    But the advice you received is incomprehensible.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    If you are underexposing the image at a low ISO, then I can understand someone telling you to use a higher ISO if it helps to properly expose the image.

Are you using ambient light indoors? Do you have a speedlite (external electronic flash)?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    It happens everywhere, inside, outside, with lighting and without. This is just one example because I don't feel comfortable posting images of my children.
    I reposted a photo it's with a flash and light from the window. I had it on ISO 800. I realize this is a doll, but this is the same noise I see on peoples faces.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,067 moderator
    mamaturtle wrote: »
    It happens everywhere, inside, outside, with lighting and without. This is just one example because I don't feel comfortable posting images of my children.
    I reposted a photo it's with a flash and light from the window. I had it on ISO 800. I realize this is a doll, but this is the same noise I see on peoples faces.

I'm not seeing the problem on my NEC MultiSync EA231WMi monitor, looking at your cropped example. Try printing the image to see if the problem might be with your monitor and computer setup. If the print doesn't show the problem, it's not anything to worry about.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Lots of information missing here. I have a 7D and a 5D II. The 7D high ISO images are not as clean as the 5D II, but they aren't terrible ether.

I would need to see some full res images, with exif data and note any processing you did.

They don't need to be of your kids, just good clean in focus images.

Sam
    It won't let me post anymore photos.

The photo I do have has no post processing just cropped.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    Is that a picture of a doll?

I don't really see noise so much as blur.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    mamaturtle wrote: »
    It won't let me post anymore photos.

The photo I do have has no post processing just cropped.

Define "IT"

A better photo would be one that has a larger tonal range, from shadow to highlights.

I also don't really see noise in the doll photo, but again this isn't a good example to evaluate.

Sam
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Sam wrote: »
    Define "IT"

A better photo would be one that has a larger tonal range, from shadow to highlights.

I also don't really see noise in the doll photo, but again this isn't a good example to evaluate.

Sam

He's using attach. OP needs to post and host or attach to another post.

Meanwhile: " I don't see no Stinkin Noise!"

OP, do as Ziggy53 suggested and print one. Monitors can be deceiving as well as many other variables creep into the mix.
    tom wise