Options

Canon 5D2 sell off

jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
edited September 18, 2012 in Cameras
Morning Folks,
I've noticed quite a few 5D2's for sale or trade at various forums on the net, selling anywhere from $1350 up to around $1650. Some are throwing in extras like another battery, memories cards, Magic Lantern books, etc. Just wondering once they disappear from the Canon lineup, will the ''used'' market price go up ? I think a lot of people are willing to sell their 5d2's and take a chance on the 6D, or maybe even the 5D3, since the price of that camera is coming down. I saw one seller advertising a BNIB 5D3 & CS6 unopened for $3250. The grass always looks greener on the other side...until you get there :wink
Have a good day :D
Jim...

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited September 17, 2012
    My 5D2 stil takes lovely photos. Not my first choice for sports or action, but for slower paced shooting it still creates very nice files.

Yes, it is not as noise free as a 5D3 or a 1Dx, but what percentage of my images are shot at ISO 3200 or greater?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    I have a hunch that now the 6d has been announced 5dII's may become highly sought after.... Still not sure what to do in my own case (I'd been considering getting a well-priced 5d2 rather than waiting until I had enough for the 3, but it will depend how supply/cost play out).
  • Options
    Canon 5D2 sell off
    Morning Folks,
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the 5D2's higher iso's. Here are 2 pics that show what I mean. I posted these before (iso 12800) and even emailed larger versions to about 5 readers who didn't believe they were that good. The camera I bought was refurbed, and I sent it back to Canon because anything shot at 6400 and over, had severe banding. When I got it back, the difference was night and day. Canon made some type of electrical adjustment to the sensor board (I think that's what they said) With prices as low as they are, it would be worth it to have another one as a back up, before they disappear and the price jumps up thumb.gif
    Have a good day :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    Canon 5D2 sell off
    #2...
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    If the 6D is a huge seller, the 5D 2 price can only go down. If the 6D has a serious flaw, on the other hand, the 5D 2 price will stabilize pretty quick.

I'm betting the truth lies somewhere in between. It's much like the D800, D600, and D700 situation. There's a huge market for the D700 still, the price is still headed south of $1,500 within the next 6-12 months... :-P

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    Canon 5D2 sell off
    If the 6D is a huge seller, the 5D 2 price can only go down. If the 6D has a serious flaw, on the other hand, the 5D 2 price will stabilize pretty quick.

I'm betting the truth lies somewhere in between. It's much like the D800, D600, and D700 situation. There's a huge market for the D700 still, the price is still headed south of $1,500 within the next 6-12 months... :-P

=Matt=
    It's interesting that Canon launched the 6D, 4 years to the day the 5D2 came out.
    Enjoy your afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,904 moderator
    jgoetz4 wrote: »
    It's interesting that Canon launched the 6D, 4 years to the day the 5D2 came out.
    Jim...

That's because both were introduced at Photokina, which occurs every 2 years around this time of the year.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    Canon 5D2 sell off
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    That's because both were introduced at Photokina, which occurs every 2 years around this time of the year.
    Good Afternoon Ziggy,
    I forgot the 5D2 came out at Photokina. Thanks for the refresher thumb.gif.
    Jim...
  • Options
    chrisliehmannchrisliehmann Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2012
    5d II is still an awesome camera. I hope prices continue to drop as I may just pick up another one as a backup.
  • Options
    Canon 5D2 sell off
    5d II is still an awesome camera. I hope prices continue to drop as I may just pick up another one as a backup.
    Good Afternoon,
    I was just on FM and saw a bunch of 5d2's selling anywhere from $1450 up to $1700. The upper pricing ($1600-$1700) includes the grip and extra battery. You can't beat those prices unless you get a refurbished 5D2 from the CLP. They are $1759 (and in stock) PLUS another 20% off with a trade in camera. Even with 6% sales tax, you're still looking at under $1500 thumb.gif There's a member on FM selling a BNIB 5D3 for $2985.
    Jim...
  • Options
    chrisliehmannchrisliehmann Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    Good Afternoon,
    I was just on FM and saw a bunch of 5d2's selling anywhere from $1450 up to $1700. The upper pricing ($1600-$1700) includes the grip and extra battery. You can't beat those prices unless you get a refurbished 5D2 from the CLP. They are $1759 (and in stock) PLUS another 20% off with a trade in camera. Even with 6% sales tax, you're still looking at under $1500 thumb.gif There's a member on FM selling a BNIB 5D3 for $2985.
    Jim...

Thanks Jim! Will be sure to check it out :)
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    Good Afternoon,
    Jim...

week7.gifw! That's cooL Jim! Diva...here's your Chance!:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    Canon 5D2 sell off
    angevin1 wrote: »
    week7.gifw! That's cooL Jim! Diva...here's your Chance!:D
    Folks, I pick up older Canon film cameras at yard sales and flea markets, usually for around $3 or $4. I have made my 3 limit purchase with the CLP for this year, and my son has made 2 purchases from Canon so far, with 2 of my yard sale finds rolleyes1.gifWhen you see an ad for WTB broken Canon cameras, usually, the buyer is using them for a refurbed purchase mwink.gif Can't blame him/her for helping out the economy. Thanks for looking thumb.gif
    Jim...