Options

SSD That Augments HD

NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
edited September 28, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I read an article about this in Engadget a few weeks back but forget the brand/model. The drive has some software which sees which programs you use the most and then installs them to the SSD for faster loading. Does this sound familiar?

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited September 17, 2012
    I think you're talking about hybrid drives like this one with a 32 Mb cache

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Seagate/ST750LX003/

Quite a bit cheaper than a full bore SSD of comparable size

Be interesting to hear a real world comparison to a 256 GB SSD
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    Similar idea but instead of being part of the drive itself this one plugged into another SATA socket to augment the current primary drive.
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    My 15 year old son just built himself a computer with a 120g ssd to run his OS and most used software. He's got much larger drives for storage, etc... That machine is blazing fast. It boots windows 7 in just a few seconds. Complex 3D rendering software seems to open in a heartbeat.
    Impressive.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    I want to learn how to do this..
    My desktop is painstakingly slow at loading up just the OS!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    All of my Macs ( 10.7.4 ) boot up in under 30-45 seconds these days, since I equipped them all with 256 Gb SSDs, from www.macsales.com

All I have on the boot drive are my OS and my applications. My iTunes Library and all data are on other internal hard drives, or external drives for laptops.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited September 19, 2012
    I read an article about this in Engadget a few weeks back but forget the brand/model. The drive has some software which sees which programs you use the most and then installs them to the SSD for faster loading. Does this sound familiar?

Most likely this is the article (from Sep. 5, 2012):

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/sandisk-readycache/

Note that this is a "Windows 7 only" solution to system speedup, and involves installing both the mini-SSD and some software to manage the cache.

For Windows 7 users with limited and little software, this could be a viable boost in system speed. For users with a lot of software, not so much. (It's only 32 GB in size.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited September 19, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Most likely this is the article (from Sep. 5, 2012):

http://www.engadget.com/2012/09/05/sandisk-readycache/

Note that this is a "Windows 7 only" solution to system speedup, and involves installing both the mini-SSD and some software to manage the cache.

For Windows 7 users with limited and little software, this could be a viable boost in system speed. For users with a lot of software, not so much. (It's only 32 GB in size.)

Thanks for the link, 32 GB actually seems to be more than enough. I just looked and my whole Adobe suite which is the design version and it only takes up about 5, say the OS is another 10 and that still leaves ~15 GB. Plus this thing is only 50 bucks! Time to read some reviews.
  • Options
    jasonstonejasonstone Registered Users Posts: 735 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    i actually just installed one of the hybrid drives in my mid 2010 mac book pro a month ago
    i couldn't afford (didn't want to afford) a 256GB SSD as still too expensive here in Switzerland

it's a definite improvement over a regular hard drive although obviously nothing on a full SSD drive.

Best idea I've ever seen for a macbook pro is to remove the CD drive and put in a caddy and put a big normal laptop drive (750GB+) for data and then replace the boot drive with a small SSD - e.g. 128GB

for the amount of times i use a CD/DVD I can just plug in an external USB drive

again - was too expensive (and not available) here in Switzerland but seems dead easy to buy in the US