DSS #112 Fall or Spring

JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
edited October 2, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Welcome to Round #112 of the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenges.

This challenge is for all dgrin members.

It will run from Monday, September 17, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8) on through Monday, October 1, 2012 8:00pm PST time (GMT -8).

The theme this round for your interpretation will be: Fall or Spring

Wide open for your interpretation! With fall hitting most areas and Spring on the other end of the world, you can either take pictures outside or inside of things that give you the spring or fall feeling! Use your imaginations on this one and come up with that special photo!
Hint: Its ok to think outside the box!

There are no editing restrictions this round!

Your Judge:
1 round 72 Hour Public Vote.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Your entry is to be submitted directly into a SmugMug gallery. It's pretty simple, just go to the gallery link below, and follow the upload instructions at the top of the page:

DSS #112 Entry Gallery

Remember, the basics stay the same: 1 entry per person, and the photo must be fresh, taken during this contest period. Do not use a minimal save method (such as "save for web"), and your EXIF will be embedded in your image, no worries!

To avoid disqualification, read, in full, the Dgrin Sharp Shooters Challenge RULES.
Please note that there has been a rules wording change, so be sure you have re- read the rules!

Comments

• JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2012
    I try to think outside the box ... hope I'm doing ok at it! Laughing.gif
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 2,116 Major grins
    The rules link refuses to work for me
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    grandmaR wrote: »
    The rules link refuses to work for me
    ok thanks for letting me know. It should be working now.thumb.gif
    edited September 20, 2012
    I like to think outside the box .... except when doing photos. I am not satisfied if it isn't exactly what is specified and I don't like to vote (if voting is involved) for photos that aren't on the topic even if they are awesome photos. (I'm not talking about not voting for a seascape if the topic is landscape, but more things like if macro is the topic and someone submits a landscape or if black and white is the topic and someone submits a color photo which is kind of a pun on black and white). I guess that makes me a grump or maybe a Luddite because I also don't like photos that are manipulated too much. If I wanted to have a wall object which didn't show reality, I can do a painting where I can manipulate what you see. I like photos to be well ... photographic.

The leaves here have only just begun to turn colors and I am unwilling to wait until the first of October to see what happens then. So I'm forced to think outside the box. There were some awesome fall photos in the last challenge which ought to work well in this one and any one of them would be better than my effort.
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    Well I'm off to a smashing start here - NOT! ;(

Thought I'd dive right in (after reading every blessed word on the challenges, rules, etc.) so I clicked on the link to the DSS #112 Entry Gallery above and...

Read some more - the process for logging out of my SmugMug account, and logging back in with the "challenges" username/password.

Only trouble izzz... When I log out, and then try to log back in - the SM site is sluggish in allowing me to delete my SM account name/password (that's automatically there) and meanwhile... AUTOMATICALLY logs me in before I have a chance to change to the challenges/challenges login - grrrrrr!

I believe at one point, I somehow managed to actually bypass the automatic login of my personal SM account and swiftly pecked in the "challenges/challenges" login, but when the challenge gallery page came up - I could find no "Challenge Submissions" gallery link to click on - as stated in the instructions at the top of of the page. Perhaps 'cuz I wasn't really logged in under challenges/challenges, but rather, once again under my personal SM username/password.

In any case, needless to say, I'm a tad frustrated at the moment...

Can anyone advise how I can turn off SM's automated login system? And/or - any other advice on how to submit an entry for the challenge?

Thnx.
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
    I'm not an expert, but these are half-baked ideas I had about it.
    WOuld it work to clear your cookies out? or your clear your cache? Or use a different browser to log in to the Challenge?
    Utterly brilliant grandmaR - thanks! I worked around the automatic SmugMug login w/ my FF browser by going in anonymously via IE - worked like a charm - thanks!

My submission is really a pretty dumb image ('cuz - as the title implies, living here in Vietnam - we don't have any "Spring" or "Fall". Just "Rainy" and "Dry"). So just for fun, I simply "thought outside the box" ;)

In any case, thanks to you I managed to submit something. I've had a SM account for a couple years now and love it. Just never before had the time to explore the forums, these challenges, etc.

Thanks again - apparently your "half-baked" notions are more baked then you think! ;)
    TravelnLass.com
  • RevLinePhotoRevLinePhoto Registered Users Posts: 354 Major grins
    Easy way to avoid the auto log in is to open a secure private browser page and it will not auto login.
    BMW Tech
    Live life to its fullest you never know whats in your future.
    WWW.REVLINEPHOTO.COM
    Not sure how to accomplish that RevLine - short of doing what I did and opening up an entirely different browser. Just seems there should be a way to opt out of the SM auto log in, else - at least give me time to change the login info before it auto whisks me in.
    TravelnLass.com
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,209 Major grins
    A big culprit to the 'auto log in' issue you have/had is a setting you may have enabled to 'log in with facebook'. If you disable that feature, you should not have any problems switching back and forth from your account to challenges. This is under "Account Settings", then the "Me" tab, then "Account". Make sure that "Facebook login" is set to NO.

Sherry
    slpollett wrote: »
    A big culprit to the 'auto log in' issue you have/had is a setting you may have enabled to 'log in with facebook'. If you disable that feature, you should not have any problems switching back and forth from your account to challenges. This is under "Account Settings", then the "Me" tab, then "Account". Make sure that "Facebook login" is set to NO.

Sherry

Thanks much Sherry - I believe SM must have set Facebook to "on" as a default, 'cuz I HATE linking every blessed site to that. Thanks to your instructions, I just turned it off so hopefully I won't have to open a different browser every time I want to go in/out of the challenge gallery.
    TravelnLass.com
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    i posted in time...and was removed. wow. why?
    Growing with Dgrin

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    when I am logged in under challenges I see my image entry but when I log out it doesn't show up anymore? what's up?
    edited October 2, 2012
    did i do something wrong?
    entered a pic and was bumped....over four years and no retort?
    Growing with Dgrin

edited October 2, 2012
    Gail your image had the magic hidden button hiding it. Sean came to my rescue tonight and fixed a couple that were not showing.

leaforte, what was the title of your image? There were two images that were dq'ed because there were no dgrin user names with them and no way to identify who did them. Check the voting thread to see if yours was one of those. Its important to put your dgrin username - title under the picture.
    edited October 2, 2012
    wish i wasn't disqualified. Something about I didnt have a title. been a dgrinner since 07 title was the on the picture...stump on a log.
    i-JTPsvnP-M.jpg
    Growing with Dgrin

edited October 2, 2012
    ok dgrinners...have fun next round!
    Growing with Dgrin

edited October 2, 2012
    JAG wrote: »
    Gail your image had the magic hidden button hiding it. Sean came to my rescue tonight and fixed a couple that were not showing.

leaforte, what was the title of your image? There were two images that were dq'ed because there were no dgrin user names with them and no way to identify who did them. Check the voting thread to see if yours was one of those. Its important to put your dgrin username - title under the picture.

It asked me to log out of my dgrin page before I submitted. so i did. Guess thats why you couldn't see my user name. Its all good. Keep the challenges coming!
    Growing with Dgrin

• The Curious CamelThe Curious Camel Registered Users Posts: 943 Major grins
    edited October 2, 2012
    leaforte wrote: »
    It asked me to log out of my dgrin page before I submitted. so i did. Guess thats why you couldn't see my user name. Its all good. Keep the challenges coming!

Thanks Joyce and Leaforte. I see it now.

peace gail
    edited October 2, 2012
    leaforte wrote: »

After you upload your image into the gallery, directly under the larger image is an Title and 'edit' link. Click on the edit and type your user name - title, right in there and then save. Then you can log out of the challenges gallery. There is always next time! thumb.gif