Canon S100 now priced lower than S95!

jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
edited September 22, 2012 in Cameras
I was thinking about buy a point 'n shoot for travel, and leaning toward the Canon S100. Spec-wise, it appears better than the S95. Interesting enough, though, the Amazon.com price for the S100 is now $30 less than the S95. ($349 vs. $379)

Is the S95 really a better camera? Does anyone here have any experience comparing the two?

Thanks for any insight.

Comments

• jrogersjrogers Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    as a follow up, 2 of the things I like about the S100 over the S95...the lens goes wider (24mm vs. 28mm) and better light sensitivity (according to the specs).

One of my upcoming trips is to NYC, and past experience has taught me that it's a great place for a wide lens, as well as low-light shooting.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    The S95 on Amazon is through affiliates only and the S100 is through Amazon itself. It's very common for the affiliates to jack up prices on older models, probably because there's limited stock and there will always be some people who are too dumb to realize there's a new model.

The S100 is better in every way than the S95. Review: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canons100
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    If video matters to you, the S100 has tracking AF during video, the S95 does not. As a family cam, that sealed the deal for me.

But that was before the Sony RX100 existed. I would get that now.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    kdog wrote: »
    The S95 on Amazon is through affiliates only and the S100 is through Amazon itself.

good catch. I didn't even notice that! I was notified of the price via an email from amazon, which I assumed meant it was through them. Taking another look at the email, it does say who the vendor is. The same vendor sells the S100 for $405, vs. Amazon's $349.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited September 20, 2012
    I've got an S95, and the 100 has a more advanced CMOS sensor. The MP count is higher, but not by much, and not that better. The CMOS chip on the 100 allows it to be more noise resistant at higher ISO's. Slightly better grip on the 100 vs. the 95 (which has none). Oddly, the new 110 has deleted the grippy line on the front of the cam. If the price isn't a big difference, I'd go for the 100. Richard Franiec designs aftermarket grips for the 95/110 and other digicams that make the lack of one a non-issue. Love my 95 - the whole series is good.

More of a cam for my wife, mostly a non-photographer, who uses it in full Auto mode and JPEG. The camera makes sensible decisions in that mode and shots are of a good quality. In more creative modes and in RAW, the shots look fantastic, and can only get better when processed in a RAW editor like the packaged DPP or in Adobe's Camera Raw. Its a hefty little camera but very small and pocketable. Not as customizable as I would like, but still very user friendly once you get used to the controls.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
    edited September 21, 2012
    The only bad thing I've heard about the S100 is that the battery goes fast...100 pics or so. I think that's with the GPS on. I figure I'll just get an extra battery and not worry about it.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited September 22, 2012
    100 is doing good, actually. A second battery is a must. We got a Pearstone battery from B&H and it has held up as well as the Canon.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky