edited September 22, 2012 in Cameras
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    Molotov EverythingMolotov Everything Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    Yea, I pulled the trigger and bought one yesterday. I haven't gotten to play with it much but so far I'm impressed as hell. Of course, I've never had another full frame DSLR so my frame of reference is my D7k, D80, and kodachrome slides from about a decade ago.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    I was saving for a D4. Now I don't know. I wanted a "flagship" camera for once but the D600 is a 1/3 of the price with a good feature set and a good bump over my D700 on many levels.
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    Qarik wrote: »
    I was saving for a D4. Now I don't know. I wanted a "flagship" camera for once but the D600 is a 1/3 of the price with a good feature set and a good bump over my D700 on many levels.

If you don't shoot Olympic sports or wedding photojournalism, the D600 is pretty much perfect for anything, even many types of professional work. For the price, I'd go for it!

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    If you don't shoot Olympic sports or wedding photojournalism, the D600 is pretty much perfect for anything, even many types of professional work. For the price, I'd go for it!

=Matt=

the only thing I was concerned about was the focus point selection..no more dial on the back. I thought it was going to be menu driven..but actually it's just 2 switch flips instead of one. Then these DXO benchmarks....
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    the only thing I was concerned about was the focus point selection..no more dial on the back. I thought it was going to be menu driven..but actually it's just 2 switch flips instead of one. Then these DXO benchmarks....

I'm not sure I understand. Are you talking about the D600? Can't you always move the focus points around any time you want using the directional pad?

If you're talking about the dynamic AF switch, that is a setting that has changed on ALL new Nikons, and it just takes a little getting used to. I do prefer the old system but that is only because I have been shooting with it for years and it will take me time to wrap my mind around the new system. It's more versatile this new way, though, as you can access the other AF options for AF-C etc. whereas before you had to program that into a custom button.

=Matt=
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins

I'd go for it. I think the D600 looks like the first sensible upgrade for D700 owners if you don't want to deal with 36mp. 24mp seems just right, and 16 wouldn't be a very significant upgrade from 12. I've had a Canon 1DIIN, I wouldn't want to carry a D4 around all day or bring it on family outings.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    I'd go for it. I think the D600 looks like the first sensible upgrade for D700 owners if you don't want to deal with 36mp. 24mp seems just right, and 16 wouldn't be a very significant upgrade from 12. I've had a Canon 1DIIN, I wouldn't want to carry a D4 around all day or bring it on family outings.

Me, personally, I think that 24MP is the sweet spot in sensors right now. Plenty of resolution...great ISO...upgraded electronics...

I'd sure like to see it in a D700 upgrade...with all the pro buttonology of the D700. I've grown very fond of the D700/300 on camera controls. But, as it looks now...not going to happen...now that they have a 24MP, D600 in the Amateur category.

I'm sure a D600 paired with any of the Nikkor 2.8 lenses would deliver killer images...

I sure hate to move up...and am not planning to upgrade anytime soon, but I can see the handwriting on the wall...to many guests shooting newer, better equipment...ugh!!!

I'm just a little early in the development cycle. I don't know what they'll be shooting weddings with in a few years, but I can't see image quality getting that much better...

Certainly not using mega-pixels anyway....

Oh well...just pondering what's next...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Options
    WayupthereWayupthere Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    I'd sure like to see it in a D700 upgrade...with all the pro buttonology of the D700. I've grown very fond of the D700/300 on camera controls. But, as it looks now...not going to happen...now that they have a 24MP, D600 in the Amateur category.
    Exactly my feelings as well. I was realy hoping for the 700 replacement, and this smallish plastic thing isn't it for sure. Seems like a gaping hole in the lineup to me.
    My recent snag of a almost new D3x is looking better by the min. Also renforces my thoughts that the 24ish size is just right.
    Gary
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    I picked up my D600 yesterday. The D7000 is my reference. So far so good, except I really hate the swapping of the zoom buttons versus the D7k. And the operating manual is twice as thick as the D7k. I have a baseball game tomorrow evening, so I will see how it does then.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    I am bummed about this camera. It would be great if it had more focus points. I wish I had even more sometimes with the 51 point system. Ahhh someday!

IMO there is still no true replacement for the D700.
  • Options
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I am bummed about this camera. It would be great if it had more focus points. I wish I had even more sometimes with the 51 point system. Ahhh someday!

IMO there is still no true replacement for the D700.

Ehh. Give me ~30 points, and spread 'em out like a DX viewfinder. With cross-type points all over the edge. Hell yeah!

=Matt=
  • Options

Absolutely not. At least not having gotten used to the controls and customizations of semi-pro flagship bodies.

I've poured over the D600 design and customization / control options, and I don't think it even comes close to replacing the true functionality of the D700. It is an amateur DSLR with a huge leap forward in image quality, that's it.

The D800 is the replacement for the D700, for now. There is room in the lineup, and a market for, an "affordable D4". The problem is simply that Nikon needs to capitalize on their D4 sales, just like they capitalized on D3 sales for a year before bringing out the D700.

The D600 is an amazing camera. The sensor is incredible, and I'm happy for Nikon and I think the camera is perfect for many types of shooters. But it is completely un-usable for 90% of what I use my D700 for. (The 90% that pays my bills, mind you)

=Matt=
  • Options
    MavMav Registered Users Posts: 174 Major grins
    Ehh. Give me ~30 points, and spread 'em out like a DX viewfinder. With cross-type points all over the edge. Hell yeah!

=Matt=

I agree - went to take a look at the D600 yesterday and it's surprising just how much smaller the coverage is compared to the D7k
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    Absolutely not. At least not having gotten used to the controls and customizations of semi-pro flagship bodies....

Fair enough, I just thought if one was craving a FF Nikon with more than 12mp for significantly less than $3000, the D600 is the only answer.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    Fair enough, I just thought if one was craving a Nikon with more than 12mp for significantly less than $3000, the D600 is the only answer.

D7000? And believe me, 16MP is a noticeable jump from 12. Especially with the gains in dynamic range.
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins

It had me buffaloed too for a few minutes. Finally downloaded the manual and found the setting to allow manual control of focus point. It does control via the rear multi-selector just like before/D700, as I remember it.

Renting, BTW~:D
    tom wise
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    angevin1 wrote: »
    It had me buffaloed too for a few minutes. Finally downloaded the manual and found the setting to allow manual control of focus point. It does control via the rear multi-selector just like before/D700, as I remember it.

Renting, BTW~:D

Woops, spoke too soon...that only works in MF mode! Back to reading~
    tom wise
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited September 22, 2012
    Take the camera's AF out of "auto" and set it to AF-S or Af-C single point(af/m switch plus front command dial). You cant adjust focus point when the focus mode is in full auto.