Options

Accepted to Sports Shooter today!

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited October 3, 2012 in Sports
Accepted to SportsShooter.com today! Awesome day!

Comments

• Options
    JimKarczewskiJimKarczewski Registered Users Posts: 969 Major grins
    edited September 19, 2012
    Congrats..

Sponsored or no?
  • Options
    First time with no sponsor.
  • Options
    Nice. I need to do that.. I keep slacking off by working. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    Congratulations!
  • Options
    edited September 20, 2012
    Thanks John.
  • Options
    zSCOTTzzSCOTTz Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    Congrats, do you have a link?
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    Congratulations!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    zSCOTTz wrote: »
    Congrats, do you have a link?

http://www.sportsshooter.com/members.html?id=10158
  • Options
    edited September 24, 2012
    I'm in the waiting queue I guess. I submitted my profile and images, not waiting to be approved... No like the waiting game. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    My application took two weeks as I went the non-sponsored route. Good luck!
  • Options
    Yeah, I went non-sponsored as well. The people I know that are members seem to care less about responding to their friends. Guess you know who's who when you apply and don't get responses from people. :(
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    Yeah, I went non-sponsored as well. The people I know that are members seem to care less about responding to their friends. Guess you know who's who when you apply and don't get responses from people. :(

Jim, what is it you hope to gain by joining at this time? I participate pretty heavily over on SS, and have several friends there as well. It's a pretty cool place if you are a pro level shooter, but there really isn't much there if you aren't deriving at least a chink of your income from shooting sports.

I see many folks who seem to want to join, but no one articulates why.
  • Options
    Jim, what is it you hope to gain by joining at this time? I participate pretty heavily over on SS, and have several friends there as well. It's a pretty cool place if you are a pro level shooter, but there really isn't much there if you aren't deriving at least a chink of your income from shooting sports.

Well, I do shoot sports. Heavily. Local semi-pro/high school/college baseball, HS/College Softball, HS/College football, etc. So I do have a heavily vested interest in participating over there.. It's a matter of the fact that the 2 people I know locally just haven't responded to me about sponsoring. One is pretty busy, the other, I'm clueless.

I mean, I got a 1Dx because I had to upgrade (from a 5D2) for multiple reasons.. and the biggest reason was missing too many sports shots.
  • Options
    Well, I do shoot sports. Heavily. Local semi-pro/high school/college baseball, HS/College Softball, HS/College football, etc. So I do have a heavily vested interest in participating over there.. It's a matter of the fact that the 2 people I know locally just haven't responded to me about sponsoring. One is pretty busy, the other, I'm clueless.

I mean, I got a 1Dx because I had to upgrade (from a 5D2) for multiple reasons.. and the biggest reason was missing too many sports shots.

Thanks for that. For me, it was getting an accepted "sideline" position at my ACC school here in town. I knew I needed to up my game in a hurry though they liked what they were seeing and getting from me already.

I've seen a few folks here comment that they were accepted to SS or were trying to get in, but no one (including me) ever says what has prompted it. Thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2012

Thanks for that. For me, it was getting an accepted "sideline" position at my ACC school here in town. I knew I needed to up my game in a hurry though they liked what they were seeing and getting from me already.

I've seen a few folks here comment that they were accepted to SS or were trying to get in, but no one (including me) ever says what has prompted it. Thanks for sharing.

I mean, who wouldn't want access to Sports Illustrated, AP, Getty shooters? :)
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2012
    I mean, who wouldn't want access to Sports Illustrated, AP, Getty shooters? :)

Having access is one thing. Having meaningful conversation is quite another. Being able to understand the advice given, and having the tools and wherewithal to effectively implement it, is a different level. Took a lot of work, and a substantial outlay of funds to get me there. Others may be better positioned than I was.
  • Options
    zSCOTTzzSCOTTz Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2012

What prompted me to join was going to other forums and reading other posts from sports shooter members about how hard it is to do sports photography or photography in general. Using terms like GWC and MWC. Ive been shooting sports since last November, bought my first DSLR about a year and a half ago and I didnt even know what a DSLR was. I made sports shooter my first try without a sponsor 9 months later. I never dreamed I would make money with a camera. I shoot for a local media site in town, and I make money doing sports action shots around town. They have a few people around here who try, but nobody is close to my quality and I have field access to any field. I am now booked through October doing senior pictures/youth games/high school games. I started with a rebel T2i, bought a canon 7D, and now own a Mark IV. The longest glass I have is a 70-200 though, and my next purchase will be a 400mm 2.8. Motivation was my biggest factor. Ive played sports all my life at the Varsity level so I know every sport I shoot which helps alot. Im extremely competitive and wanted to prove that I could learn this craft quickly.