Options

First attempt at shooting somone.

ForceGhostForceGhost Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited September 25, 2012 in People
Took these of a friend of mine, what do you think? Improvements?

Uq95p.jpg

rwSoR.jpg

kjnzK.jpg
Kind Regards,
Jordon.
My website

Comments

• Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2012
    Personally I would have liked to see more directional light. It seems really flat, there are no shadows at all to give any type of dimension. Her necklace seems a bit crooked as well, that is something I'm always realizing later in shots, that I've missed some detail or clothing that is out of place. Trying myself to get better about noticing things and fixing them on the shoot.

Just my 2 cents.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800
  • Options
    PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    Nice series ForceGhost for a fist attempt.

I think it would help to do a tighter crop on all the photos.
    I also would like to see some shots of here smiling and different facial expressions.

Take care,
    Chuck Cassidy,
    D300S, 50mm 1.4D,
    18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR,
    www.aperturefocus.com
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    I agree with the previous comments. The shots are a bit flat and drab. You can add a little contrast in processing to give a little life to the shots. As for the poses, you went almost to extremes. She's looking either directly into the camera, or totally away. You'll be happier if her head is pointed slightly to one side, with her eyes engaging the camera. One way of thinking of this is that you usually don't want to see both ears, but you usually want to see both eyes. There's nothing wrong with the looks you've shown us, and my suggestions are certainly not rules, but they're good places to start.

I love your friend's complexion, and her face is very interesting (in a good way.)
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2012
    Cheers guys! I didn't direct her at all so will do this time!

Cheers,
    FG
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    hey hey pretty good for your first try ! You got a good start!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    good start - I do not usually direct people- I mean I do try to encourage them to be natural - I give just overall directions - In my opinion you can really fully direct only professional models - they know how to look good in every situation. when did try to direct amateurs it always came out not natural ....
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    coolpinsky wrote: »
    gooIn my opinion you can really fully direct only professional models - they know how to look good in every situation.

I'm not trying to start an argument (YMMV) but IMO this is just not true. Well, it's true that it's your opinion :D. Most people over the age of five are pretty easy to direct. You just have to know what it is you want them to do. "Look straight at my hand. Now, without turning your head, look at the lens." Snap. Done. "Place your right foot in front. Now point your toe at me." Snap. Done.

I agree, trying to coax a particular facial expression is as likely to fail as not, but basic direction gives your subject the impression that you know what you're doing and can help them feel more confident. That will get you better facial expressions.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    Icebear wrote: »
    I'm not trying to start an argument (YMMV) but IMO this is just not true. Well, it's true that it's your opinion :D. Most people over the age of five are pretty easy to direct. You just have to know what it is you want them to do. "Look straight at my hand. Now, without turning your head, look at the lens." Snap. Done. "Place your right foot in front. Now point your toe at me." Snap. Done.

I agree, trying to coax a particular facial expression is as likely to fail as not, but basic direction gives your subject the impression that you know what you're doing and can help them feel more confident. That will get you better facial expressions.

+1 15524779-Ti.gif
  • Options
    Just a quick question, Without cheating the Meta can anyone guess what lens i used?
    Kind Regards,
    Jordon.
    My website
  • Options
    DreadnoteDreadnote Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    Hmm I would guess that given that almost everything except the lips are out of focus or soft that it was an 85/1.4 shot at 1.4 - but I'm a rookie so there you have it.
    Sports, Dance, Portraits, Events... www.jasonhowardking.com
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    You can most certainly direct people that aren't models. Trust me, I know. My wife is no model. Actually, as soon as the camera comes out she goes completely stiff. It's the most hilarious thing to see actually and I think I do a pretty good job of directing her to do what I want. Well, except for giving me back rubs. I also believe that you can get people to look natural on camera and give natural expressions. Is all about making them feel relaxed.

Actually, Diva recently posted links to an online workshop Sue Bryce did on Creative Live. You can still purchase the workshop and IMO, it's worth every penny. She does Glamour photography, which may not be for everyone but her techniques for posing and getting people to connect with the camera are amazing and she does a great job of teaching those techniques. I paid for the workshop and have been watching it over the past week or two. I'm going to try some of the techniques out soon and I will post some shots. I just haven't been in the mood to shoot.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    OH... and my guess is a 50MM.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    Quincy TQuincy T Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    600mm
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 24, 2012
    i think 1&3 are too similar and 2 misses focus...

BUT i think 1 is great and really showcases her gorgeous eyes! I think the light is pretty. i'm on a crappy monitor but i appears that the exposure could be brought down a tad.
  • Options
    wave01wave01 Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    can i ask about the lighting you used
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    Wave01, click the full size link under the image, you'll see the setup in her eyes.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    It appears that you were using a two light setup for these shots. If I'm wrong, forgive me.

If I'm correct about the two lights, just for the heck of it, the next time you do a shoot like this, meter one light for 5.6 for a main, then meter the second light a touch under 2.8 for a fill and see how you like the results.

If I'm wrong and it was just plain natural light, try turning her face so more of the ambient is falling on one side of her face and less on the other.