Options

Not so happy with lulu calendar

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited November 18, 2005 in Mind Your Own Business
So I just got my calendar that I created at lulu (in my footer) - it took them FOREVER!!! Maybe this isn't the best way to go around advertising it :dunno. Oh well.

Anyhow, my first impressions were

LET ... ME ... IN ... TO ... THE ... FREAKING ... BOX!!! The thing was taped up and boxed up like it was coming from Ft. Knox! Sheesh! So I finally get it open to find that the thing is made of some kind of a rough faced card stock. It really makes the pictures look all pixellated and kind of crummy. BTW, I went with the 'premium' calendar. The tall one (and it is really big by the way). Oh and I know that the pics I put in it come out great because I just got huge ones printed out from Smugmug (like 24 x 36 huge) and there were fantastic!

This calendar was going to be a christmas gift. I suppose it still can be but just to my Mom and Dad (since, you know, I can't do much wrong with them anyhow).

So has anyone gotten the smaller (non-premium) calendar? Is it made out of something other than rough-faced card stock? It doesn't have to be genuine fuji photo paper or anything but something a wee bit glossy and smooth would be nice.

Oh and if you've done one of these and haven't gotten a proof, I highly recommend that you do so.
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    I like what it is made out of, but it is definitely a matte plus finish, no gloss at all.

Beware that the cover needs to be a vertical, though.

I wonder how Andy et al are showing horizontals?

I can't afford another proof, so what I change will have to be it, and that will be nail biting.

I do like the size, too. The people who put out the dog calendars that I keep in here to actually see the days, they are not doing it this year, and this calendar is big enough to take care of that problem.

Mike, maybe other people would like that finish. I got the smaller calendar last year, I have three here on my wall, and I can see them. I don't think they are half as nice, though the paper is slippery er. It is not a rich thick feel. I would not go that route. You stand just as good a chance of being disappointed for different reasons.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    I ordered mine before the premium ones came out... I'm actually quite pleased with it.... it's not rough at all, it's actually pretty smooth and shiney :)

Thanks,

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex