Options

Limited Print idea

WirenWiren Registered Users Posts: 741 Major grins
edited September 23, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I have the start of an idea that I want to peruse.... Can a SM Hero answer please, keep in mind I am just kicking things around in my head at the moment and doubt this can be set up via SM... but it may be a nice option....

For those shots that you get that are just plain awesome.... the ones that everybody who sees it drops their jaw over....

I am wondering if upon upload, you can limit the size availability (I know that can be done via pricing) BUT..... also require it to come with whatever options you choose, e.g.

Print comes in 12x30, matted and framed - ONLY OPTION... price is $ xxxx and limited to 250 prints

Kind of like a limited collection..... thus making your print all the more special to those that follow your work.

Maybe I want a certin print to be available in 3 different sizes only and x amount of each size in a frame, x amount via metal print, etc, etc, etc.

I know some may think this is a silly idea, but how many of each print do you truly sell? I have a couple that are fairly popular and sell often (one in particular has probably been sold in various sizes about 2 dozen times), but some folks pass up thinking, "it will always be available if I choose to purchase it....." then they forget about it. I think it's an interesting notion and a way to pridefully offer your collection to those who truly appreciate art and further encourage a sale. Is something like this possible to be set up as an option for purchase?

Lee
Lee Wiren

Comments

• Options
    FlounderFlounder Registered Users Posts: 121 Major grins
    edited September 21, 2012
    Hi Lee,

In your Gallery Settings > Look and Feel section, you can set a display size for your photos. That is HIGHLY recommenced. That along with other info on protecting your images can be seen here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93274

There's no way of allowing X amount of prints from one image. What you can do once that image reaches your desired sales number, is set it to it's own pricelist, with ALL products disabled.

To make it available in certain sizes, again, use your pricelists. There you can choose from all of our lovely print options, and select the three that you want to sell.

I hope the above will help. If you have any further questions or problems, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Nick Wilson
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Flounder wrote: »
    Hi Lee,

In your Gallery Settings > Look and Feel section, you can set a display size for your photos. That is HIGHLY recommenced. That along with other info on protecting your images can be seen here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/93274

There's no way of allowing X amount of prints from one image. What you can do once that image reaches your desired sales number, is set it to it's own pricelist, with ALL products disabled.

To make it available in certain sizes, again, use your pricelists. There you can choose from all of our lovely print options, and select the three that you want to sell.

I hope the above will help. If you have any further questions or problems, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Nick Wilson
    SmugMug Support Hero

Yeah, thanks Nick, but I would like it to be able to force the option of framing... so customer wants x print and knows the size... the price is set, but it includes the frame and matting..... all automatic.. because customers aren't very smart when it comes to the confusing purchase section, they seem to lose all ability to look at buttons to go on to the next step, it would be nice if they hit the "x" size for "x" price and automatically be taken to the check out screen. Thanks anyways.
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    If you're wanting to da limited edition of prints the best thing to do is self fulfill.....
    so that you can:
    1- sign the prints (using an acid free ink/ paint pen available at Hobby lobby or architect / artists supply stores)
    2- number the prints and price accordingly

It seems taht I read somewhere and it could have been a fine arts class book...that one should do the whole run and sell it backward...so that 500 of 500 is the cheapest print and they get more expensive as they are sold off, now #1 is usually never sold so that the price just keeps growing as an investment .... also it worth will grow as other prints are damaged or destroyed....that is why after a set run was done with film images the original positive was destroyed, usually by pricking holes in them with a pin but a copy neg / transparency was made to make lesser valued prints so that sales could keep going if the artist wanted.....

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited September 22, 2012
    I guess the best way to do this is to offer unlimited runs from 11x14 down.. 16x20 and up are limited and purchase of that size requires contact and direct sale with the photographer. Then I can create the signed/numbered print in frame with mat or however it needs to come to meet customers need and ship/deliver for the fee it costs. Now... to take some jaw droppers designated specifically for this project and move on from there.

Thanks for your thought and comment Art, very interesting idea numbering backwards like that.... I am wondering... If I do limited prints in certain sizes... I could say limited to 250 prints... then # 151-250 and make them the smallest size... 51-150 in the next size up.. and reserve the smallest #'s - 1-50 for the largest of the prints (as probably fewer of those would sell). I'll have to think about that a bit more.

Lee
    Lee Wiren
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    a limited edition (run) is all one size from what I have learned in the few art classes I have taken ... so you can have limited editions of the same image in various sizes: 40x60 a limited edition of 250 images, 16x24 a limited edition of 500 prints and so on... I have seen limited edition 4x6's at art shows selling (or asking price) of $100+ ... ... ... I do not offer limited edition (numbered prints) due to the storage it would take to keep a run of even 250 8x10's or 16x24 around utnil sold....so what I offer is handsigned from personally or commercial prints with digital signature (using a tablet, like a Wacom or VisTablet[which is what I use] ) I create my signature as an action, this way it can be place where I want on the print and I can change the signature color depending on the image so it can be seen....for the hand signed images I use acid free ink/paint pens in silver or gold...the mat is signed in pencil also with image title...however my handwriting is really bad so I try to do as little writing on the mat or image as possible.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website