Singled out (A sad story)

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited November 20, 2005 in Holy Macro
I got bored, and for a photo assignment for my class I decided to have some fun with gummybears. Here's what I got:

gummy12jc.jpg
gummy28xx.jpg
gummy36aa.jpg
gummy41sv.jpg
gummy50gy.jpg

It's a sad story, the events are somewhat unclear to some people, so first, it's the introduction of this new person into a community. He walks but no one walks with him, people talk, but no one wants to talk to him. Finally the people decide he's unwanted, and confront him. And it ends... It's sad because it happens too often, there are few happy endings to these events, unfortunately.

I got the studio setup pretty cheaply. I bought a big thing of opaque plexiglass, a tube flourescent light, and a white sheet as well as a roll of duct tape and some gummybears. Here's the setup:

setup4jq.jpg

Quit setup, fun times. Tell me what you think. :)
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    It must of been sad when you ate them.:D
    Nicely donethumb.gif and told.
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Interesting Way To Get Your Point Across
    I got bored, and for a photo assignment for my class I decided to have some fun with gummybears. Here's what I got:
    It's a sad story, the events are somewhat unclear to some people, so first, it's the introduction of this new person into a community. He walks but no one walks with him, people talk, but no one wants to talk to him. Finally the people decide he's unwanted, and confront him. And it ends... It's sad because it happens too often, there are few happy endings to these events, unfortunately.
    I got the studio setup pretty cheaply. I bought a big thing of opaque plexiglass, a tube flourescent light, and a white sheet as well as a roll of duct tape and some gummybears. Here's the setup:
    Quit setup, fun times. Tell me what you think. :)
    Yes it is sad that this sort of thing still goes on in the world today, us humans can be so mean and nasty to each other and try and justify it in the silliest ways.

As for me I could care less if the people I meet in my life are black, brown, yellow, pink, blue, green <
    ohhhhh I'd love to meet a green person, spacemen/women have always amazed me rolleyes1.gif I don't care if they are whatever religion they care to be, gay, straight, or whatever.

It is not up to us to judge.........man imagine what a change there would be in the world today if people would just "CARE" for their fellow human beings.

Skippy gets off her soap box now ...... ya know I wish it was compulsary for everyone to have to visit a third world country and see first hand how bad life really can be, we tend to be so materialistic.

For all the years I have worked in the Hospital and in the Pathology Unit, I never complain about my health, and rarely ever do I take sick days off, not after what I've seen over the years.

........Your images are really food for thought, a very clever way of getting your point across, I guess you could look at the images and see just bears, but I could see what you were getting at.

Thanks for sharing............ Skippy (Australia)

Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Beautifully shot and imagined.

Brian V.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    I love the way you have them organized; how they all talk to each other.. I can hear them snickering.

Very effective.
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Hey thanks guys. I decided to put it in black and white (I'm surprised no one asked why it was B&W) because it gave it a delicate glass look. Also, it represents how shallow the other gummybears are, you can see through them, they are shallow. Also, it looks better as B&W. Think I should do any other stories with gummybears?
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Great stuff. Your choice of B&W was the right one.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    thumb.gif very nice work !

i got even more cheap and clean solution for light tent
    just wrap the same cloth around 4 legs of small table
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • prity goldfishprity goldfish Registered Users Posts: 233 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    they turned out real well, tyler. did you get a good grade on the project? i hope so becuase i'm sure it was the most creative. makes me proud. good job soldier
  • wally5656wally5656 Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    they turned out real well, tyler. did you get a good grade on the project? i hope so becuase i'm sure it was the most creative. makes me proud. good job soldier
    You get an A+ far as I'm concerned..........awesome creativity!!!! The technical aspects of the photography are first class as well!!!
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    DIY lightboxes
    thumb.gif very nice work !

i got even more cheap and clean solution for light tent
    just wrap the same cloth around 4 legs of small table
    Nice one, Awais!thumb.gif
    I was using an empty fishtank which just happened to be available:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Nicely done!
    Great idea and swell execution!thumb.gif

I wonder if you tried selective coloring (on the "strange one"), especially in the last shot...
    Just a thought...ne_nau.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    Nice. I like it in B&W. I think it sets the one off more than it would if it were in color. And it makes a simple statement in B&W.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2005
    I actually shot it all in RAW mode, and did very little post processing in Photoshop, (other than the RAW adjustments, like the post-white balance, exposure, etc. Very little dodging and burning in photoshop though, just mainly used unsharp mask).

RAW mode seems to be extremely convenient when it comes to black and white, it works much better than converting something already in jpg or some similar file to greyscale.

And thanks KC, wally, and everyone else for the compliments. If you have any other suggestions or comments, I'd love to hear them!