client from the other day. her fave. one light only
Josh Westbrook
---
Atlanta, GA

Comments

• Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    Very nice idea and execution but the skin tones throw me.
  • Options
    coolpinskycoolpinsky Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    why is not sharp ?
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    coolpinsky wrote: »
    why is not sharp ?

Probably the compression from uploading the photo instead of hotlinking.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    JDubJDub Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    thanks for the comments. it was not sharp cause i didnt direct link it, possibly. also shot it wide open. narrow dof. the skin tones came out very saturated, not sure what the deal was. lowered them in ps and it looked a little better. they always say to bump saturation when posting to the web, so i bumped it back up for this post.
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    JDub wrote: »
    they always say to bump saturation when posting to the web,
    Don't listen to "they."
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    TMill2030TMill2030 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    Icebear wrote: »
    Don't listen to "they."

LoL ... I agree !

@ JDub ... For what its worth, looking @ your site (Smug mug photos) Tarah Hubbard !
    The thumbnail there looks much better. Couldnt see anymore of course (pswrd), but color looks better.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    Do you shoot in Raw, that gives you alot of leeway.
  • Options
    yes i do, just wanted to boost the sat. cause on here sometimes it loses some color when you post thats all
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    I personally would bump the exposure up and knock the saturation back somewhat. To me it looks like the DOF is right there on the eyes, agree, probably compression, I had this issue in the past also. Good looking young man and I like the hat.

ETA, looking at the image again, I might even add some fill light in in LR, that would lighten under the brim of the hat some.
  • Options
    edited September 27, 2012
    awesome, thanks for the critique on this. my next one to upload i wont boost saturation so much. i like the tip for LR. forgot about that!
    Josh Westbrook
    ---
    Atlanta, GA
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2012
    Hmm... here's what I think. It's underexposed. Because it's underexposed, the colors lack pop/saturation. Bump saturation on an underexposed image and it gets all muddy, kind of like your shot. Instead of bumping saturation, bump your exposure. That should bring up your colors. If the colors still need a little pop, set the black and white point through a curves adjustment. That will get your contrast right and that will pop your colors in a natural way. There is a tut in the tutorials section on setting black/white point if you're not sure how. Pretty easy peasy.

BTW, I have one rule about the saturation slider/adjustment: NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER bump it up because it NEVER EVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER looks real or natural or aesthetically pleasing. Just my rule though. There are millions of people that would disagree with this rule. Just look around the interwebs. Not hard to find them.

Oh... and if after all that, you still want your colors to pack more punch because you're a Technicolor kind of guy... use the vibrancy tool. It tends to leave skin tones alone and bumps other colors.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site