Options

Tea For Three and Little Boxer (opinions)

Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
edited September 26, 2012 in People
I liked this one...

8016589519_70fa96a9ee_o.jpg
Tea For Three by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

Don't remember if I ever posted this or not, but I would be interested in opinions on the post processing and look that I have done to this image. Part of me loves it and part of me thinks it might be too much.

8007300561_8f95629cbe_c.jpg
Boxing Gloves Baby by Bryce Wilson, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    TMill2030TMill2030 Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited September 23, 2012
    Hello There Bryce

1. I think it is great. It would be next to impossible to get those two like that again. Maybe ... ha
    Wondering how many shots it took to get "the one" ?

2. Well ... It's brilliant ! For what I see it as "Art" Great choice in shots and very good vision ! There are so many thing one could do with that one, and I feel you hit it right on ! Nice one !

I took a quick look @ your site (very nice) and especially in the Children section, there are some pretty darn good photos. And i was wondering if the ideas are solely yours or do you have input from elsewhere ? Spouse, assistant, partner ... etc !
    I find that most people (mostly non-photographers ... lol) will share there thoughts/ideas quite freely. Some are very informative and useful.

Anyhow ... Nice work !

Tom
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    Bryce, #1 is great. Love the interaction between the two and the bear seems very interested!!!! Like Tom said, #2 is art. I'm really old fashioned and think that would be great for a senior and not as much on the child......but it's an opinion.

Tom, don't get mad if some pro photographers don't share all their secrets. After all, they generally sacrifice and paid to find out some of those secrets so they don't pass them out as freely.
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited September 25, 2012
    Bryce do you do the entire set up like #1 all by yourself? Or do you have an assistant? Great stuff here.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    More classic art from you Bryce.

I'm not at all sure how I feel about the tewatment on the second one . I have to sit with it for awhile but the first one is another classic.thumb.gif
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    TMill2030 wrote: »
    Hello There Bryce

1. I think it is great. It would be next to impossible to get those two like that again. Maybe ... ha
    Wondering how many shots it took to get "the one" ?

2. Well ... It's brilliant ! For what I see it as "Art" Great choice in shots and very good vision ! There are so many thing one could do with that one, and I feel you hit it right on ! Nice one !

I took a quick look @ your site (very nice) and especially in the Children section, there are some pretty darn good photos. And i was wondering if the ideas are solely yours or do you have input from elsewhere ? Spouse, assistant, partner ... etc !
    I find that most people (mostly non-photographers ... lol) will share there thoughts/ideas quite freely. Some are very informative and useful.

Anyhow ... Nice work !

Tom

Thanks Tom! Nah, I get little girls to do that pose all the time. When photographing young children (and even older) the time you spend and what you do before you grab the camera is just as important as the time spent with the camera.

The ideas and sets that I use for the vintage children's portraiture were developed by me over a period of time. I've spent a fair amount of time scouring second hand stores for most of the props I use. When I found something that looked interesting to me I would try and work up a scene that photographed well and was both age and gender specific as well as cute. Lot of trial and error but I have ended up with a number of scenes that are now "paint by number" for me.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    Bryce, #1 is great. Love the interaction between the two and the bear seems very interested!!!! Like Tom said, #2 is art. I'm really old fashioned and think that would be great for a senior and not as much on the child......but it's an opinion.

Tom, don't get mad if some pro photographers don't share all their secrets. After all, they generally sacrifice and paid to find out some of those secrets so they don't pass them out as freely.
    Thanks for the input. I probably fall into that "old fashioned" category too.
    VayCayMom wrote: »
    Bryce do you do the entire set up like #1 all by yourself? Or do you have an assistant? Great stuff here.

Thanks Mom. Assistant? Ha! I wish. I do all the set up on my scenes and then enlist mom, dad or grandma, to assist me with the posing. As mentioned above I have a bunch that I developed over time that are just automatic for certain ages and genders. The tea party scene had mom on her knees just outside the frame doing the things I directed her to do to get the children actually playing.

If you're interested, here is a link to a session with a little boy and the scenes that I use with almost all little boys in that age group.

http://brycewilson.smugmug.com/Children/Vintage-Rascal/Vintage-Rascal-Photo-Session/23472052_cgzCkM
    More classic art from you Bryce.

I'm not at all sure how I feel about the tewatment on the second one . I have to sit with it for awhile but the first one is another classic.thumb.gif

Thanks...

Interesting. One vote for the boxer processing and two against.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    Whatever your charging, it's too little. These are truly beyond mere photographs. These are artistic images to cherish for a lifetime.

Sam
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    Sam wrote: »
    Whatever your charging, it's too little. These are truly beyond mere photographs. These are artistic images to cherish for a lifetime.

Sam

Thanks Sam! Wish there were BUNCHES of people that think like you do in my area. At this time, I'm charging what the market in my area will bear. I still have to do way more marketing than I think I should have to to drive settings for this genre.

A couple of things I have noticed. One, this concept seems to have a lot more curb appeal with older folks than younger. A large percentage of my client base for this is grandparents bringing in their grandchildren. Parents in their 30's make up the vast majority of the non grandparent balance. Seldom do I get an appointment from a young family in their early to mid 20's.

Added after the face in edit...

Another thing I've discovered in my little sojourn into the photography business on my lonesome:

The best photographer/work doesn't get the job, the best salesperson does. At least that's been my findings so far.
    kdog wrote: »
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

THANKS dog!
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    A couple of things I have noticed. One, this concept seems to have a lot more curb appeal with older folks than younger. A large percentage of my client base for this is grandparents bringing in their grandchildren. Parents in their 30's make up the vast majority of the non grandparent balance. Seldom do I get an appointment from a young family in their early to mid 20's.

OK! If the geezers like your fantastic vintage photography...............what would the young crowd like?

Obviously something more contemporary. Create a new more today's set and create a new fantastic series!
    Another thing I've discovered in my little sojourn into the photography business on my lonesome:

The best photographer/work doesn't get the job, the best salesperson does. At least that's been my findings so far.

It has always been so......................................

Sam
  • Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    Bryce- I love number 1. I love all the vintage work you post!
    Im in the fence about 2. I really think it would be awesome if processed normally.