Options

A newbie qustion

PHOTOMAYBEPHOTOMAYBE Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
edited September 28, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I have the canon software that came with the camera to open the raw files into their system,but it seems limited.So I am looking at LR 4.1 as it seems to deal with the raw images well from what Ihave read and the price I see on EBay are resonable.Much more reasonable thatn CS6 or such.Am I on the right track?
Thanks for any comments.

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited September 23, 2012
    LR may give you 90-100% of what you need to do. You can adjust most anything, and with the adjustment brush, apply adjustments in user-defined regions. The editing is non-destructive and applying edits across multiple images is a breeze. There are some things that will force you into photoshop, such as advanced cloning/healing (the LR brush is strictly a circle), more control on sharpening/masking there-of, and anything that requires layering and merging. It all depends on where you are, and what you need to accomplish. My 2-cents is to start with LR as it is the substrate for your workflow and get good at it. There is ton of stuff on line, and the Kelby book, Lightroom for Photographers is fantastic and an easy read. Once you know what more you need, you can opt for CSx or PSE as your need/want/budget dictate.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    philiphutsonphiliphutson Registered Users Posts: 235 Major grins
    edited September 27, 2012
    I second the advice to get LR. Look at Calumet, Samy's and BH they all have really good deals on it regularly.

-Philip
    If you want to see paradise simply look around and see it.
    -Willy Wonka
  • Options
    PHOTOMAYBEPHOTOMAYBE Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    adbsgicom wrote: »
    LR may give you 90-100% of what you need to do. You can adjust most anything, and with the adjustment brush, apply adjustments in user-defined regions. The editing is non-destructive and applying edits across multiple images is a breeze. There are some things that will force you into photoshop, such as advanced cloning/healing (the LR brush is strictly a circle), more control on sharpening/masking there-of, and anything that requires layering and merging. It all depends on where you are, and what you need to accomplish. My 2-cents is to start with LR as it is the substrate for your workflow and get good at it. There is ton of stuff on line, and the Kelby book, Lightroom for Photographers is fantastic and an easy read. Once you know what more you need, you can opt for CSx or PSE as your need/want/budget dictate.
    Thank you.I got it and Scott Kelbys book to just make sure I can comprehend all the facets.I am staring all over again.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    I second the advice to get LR. Look at Calumet, Samy's and BH they all have really good deals on it regularly.

-Philip
    PHOTOMAYBE wrote: »
    Thank you.I got it and Scott Kelbys book to just make sure I can comprehend all the facets.I am staring all over again.

Keep an eye on Amazon...I buy a lot books there at dirt cheap prices.....hardly ever pay book retail.......

LR will be an immense help, I hardly ever touch Photoshop any more ... it is there just for certain plug ins.......90% right in camera and do final work with LR....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website