Options

Lense won't separate from the body?

Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
edited November 23, 2005 in Cameras
Hey Folks;
This is a first for me with my Canon D20. I'm trying to detatch a lense from the body, but it's simply stuck. When I depress teh lense release button, there is definately a "click" sensation, but the lense won't rotate more than 1/2 inch. I didn't have any problems attaching it, no indications of thread misalignment.

There is electronic contact between the camera and the lense and it works normally. And yes, all the bouttons are in the right place to detatch the lense.

I suspect that it is some sort of thread misalignment.I don't want to force it for fear of breaking some component. I've tried pulling the battery as a last resort, but I'm out of ideas.

Does anyone have any thoughts before I head down to the local camera store tomorrow AM? :dunno

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited November 18, 2005
    Dont attempt anything...take it to an authorised canon repairer.

just my 2 bob's worth.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Dont attempt anything...take it to an authorised canon repairer.

just my 2 bob's worth.
    Thanks .... that was my thought for tomorrow. I was just wondering if I missed something obvious.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2005
    Nup...i can hit the button with my right index finger & at the same time roll the lens left with it & my thumb on one hand.

You should not use any force at all but the same sweet click that put it on.

Good Luck mate. It will no doubt be far less serious that you imagine.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Nup...i can hit the button with my right index finger & at the same time roll the lens left with it & my thumb on one hand.

You should not use any force at all but the same sweet click that put it on.

Good Luck mate. It will no doubt be far less serious that you imagine.
    I've swapped out these lenses dozens of times. It just decided to be difficult today. It looks like I now have an excuse to head to the camera store. And you know that I'll probably have to pick something else up while I'm there. clap.gif
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,216 moderator
    edited November 19, 2005
    Hmmmm. Very strange. Yes, take it in to a Canon dealer, and let them try force instead of you trying that yourself.

Is it a Canon lens? Did it make the click sound when you attatched the lens? Does the stop down preview button function?
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Hmmmm. Very strange. Yes, take it in to a Canon dealer, and let them try force instead of you trying that yourself.

Is it a Canon lens? Did it make the click sound when you attatched the lens? Does the stop down preview button function?
    Agreed, it's really wierd. It's a Canon 100-300 lens. It made the typical click and everything functions normally. It just won't detatch. Go figure.

Well, I'm heading down to the local shop in a few. I'll let everyone know what happens in case they come across this themselves.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    For the people local to Boston, I would say to stay away from Hunt Photo in Melrose. I walked in there and the tech informed me that I attached the lens upside down. So I played dumb and asked if that little window with the numbers should be on the bottom of the camera, not the top like it was. Needless to say, I was not filled with confidence. But they would ship it to canon for a small fee anyway.

There is a local repair shop in Arlington, but they would not do it under warranty. Therer would be a charge, but they didn't know how much until they got started on it. And this would void my warranty.

So I decided to send it to Canon in NJ. In speaking with their tech support, I expressed concern about misthreading the lens. The tech told there really isn't a way that you can misthread these lenses. It simply won't go on. End of story.

Based on my phone conversation, they believe a screw from the lens has loosed up and is preventing it from fully rotating. All I need to do is supply them copies of my sales receipt for the lens and body and it should be covered under waranty. But I'll be without the camera for Thanksgiving.

*sigh*
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Smart move sending it to the pros. Lots of local shops have very helpful and knowledgeable staff, and lots of them don't! Seems the one you went to was the latter. umph.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 19, 2005
    How about sending it into Canon after Thanksgiving? Given a choice between no camera, and my 20D and 100-300 over the holiday, I know what my choice would be. nod.gif The 100mm end actually takes a pretty mean portrait. Although you might scare your guests away by pointing that cannon at them. :giggle
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    kdog wrote:
    How about sending it into Canon after Thanksgiving? Given a choice between no camera, and my 20D and 100-300 over the holiday, I know what my choice would be. nod.gif The 100mm end actually takes a pretty mean portrait. Although you might scare your guests away by pointing that cannon at them. :giggle
    Ahhh... so true that is! But I decided to get it to Canon ASAP because they informed me that it would be from 7 to 21 business days from the time the receive it. I'm looking at my calendar and that would be putting it very close to the Christmas.

So I decided the best thing to do was to pass on the Turkey day pictures and get it out the door sooner than later.
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited November 19, 2005
    7 to 21 days? Ouch. That's an awfully wide window. I can see why you'd be worried about getting the stuff back for Christmas.

I had my 20D and 3 lenses in the Jamesburg, NJ facility a few weeks ago and they turned my stuff around in a bit over a week. I wonder if they're suddenly backed up or just estimating conservatively. I can't imagine they'd have to wait for parts or anything. The repair center is one large building on an entire Canon campus. I'd have to think they have everything imaginable there.

canon.jpg

That's the repair center building. Pretty big huh? Both times I was there the place was empty. I'd pictured having to wait in a line for service. Not even close. I had to ring a bell for service.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    kdog wrote:
    7 to 21 days? Ouch. That's an awfully wide window. I can see why you'd be worried about getting the stuff back for Christmas.

I had my 20D and 3 lenses in the Jamesburg, NJ facility a few weeks ago and they turned my stuff around in a bit over a week. I wonder if they're suddenly backed up or just estimating conservatively. I can't imagine they'd have to wait for parts or anything. The repair center is one large building on an entire Canon campus. I'd have to think they have everything imaginable there.

That's the repair center building. Pretty big huh? Both times I was there the place was empty. I'd pictured having to wait in a line for service. Not even close. I had to ring a bell for service.
    I suspect that it's more of a conservative estimate because they also need to account for shipping it back to me. My guess is it would be like a UPS standard ground service which will take a few days.

But with the holidays approaching, I'm wondering if they will be down staff which might cause a small back-up. I know a lot of people took off next week and a bunch more will be taking at least a couple weeks coming up soon. But who knows...

And I believe that you're correct when you say that they shouldn't have to order any parts. The jamesburg facility is THE place to have things repaired so it makes sense. The facility looks pretty big. Wouldn't it be funny if they just had like 5 guys in the back working on the cameras and the rest was office space? rolleyes1.gif

Thanks for the tidbit of info on your repair time. It makes me optimistic that I'll have it back inside of a couple of weeks!
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 19, 2005
    Bandit959 wrote:
    So I decided to send it to Canon in NJ. In speaking with their tech support, I expressed concern about misthreading the lens. The tech told there really isn't a way that you can misthread these lenses. It simply won't go on. End of story.

Based on my phone conversation, they believe a screw from the lens has loosed up and is preventing it from fully rotating. All I need to do is supply them copies of my sales receipt for the lens and body and it should be covered under waranty..........

*sigh*

Sounds about right.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    Do please post in here & let us all know the outcome mate. It could happen to anyone of us in here.

If it is a screw loose then i really would wonder how they get in there to tighten it whilst its on the camera.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,699 moderator
    edited November 19, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Do please post in here & let us all know the outcome mate. It could happen to anyone of us in here.

If it is a screw loose then i really would wonder how they get in there to tighten it whilst its on the camera.

Gus, you're mechanically inclined - how do you get things unstuck that are stuck?? Lots of oil, and a bigger hammer, right!!?? :D:D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    Only one way i do it mate....its termed 'spanner in a bottle' or also known as 'blue tongued spanner' here.
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2005
    Humungus wrote:

I'll keep everyone one posted. Like you said ... it could happen to anyone.

How would they fix it? From what I got when spoke with Canon, there are some set screws on the fron that they would take off. This disengages the mounting bracket from the camera. They just need to disconnect the electronics then disassemble the mounting assembly. They implied that it was a fairly straight forward process, but somethwat complicated and annoying. Go figure ....

I wrapped the camera in a healthy supply of bubble wrap, then placed this in a box with peanuts filling the space. I then placed this in another box and surrounded that with peanuts. I was hoping to minimize the damage that UPS would do to it.

So now I sit back and wait .....

Oh and I was about ready to try that "spanner in bottle"!!!
  • Options
    edited November 23, 2005
    Well, just to let you folks know ..
    According to UPS, my camera arrived on Tuesday @ 10:22 AM. But it takes 3-5 days for Canon to simply opne the box and assign it a case number. And they're not open on Friday.

I'll keep you posted.....
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Especially if they give you any info on how to prevent it! eek7.gif
    Humungus wrote:
    I'm thinking total disassembly. bncry.gif
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/