Options

Beginner Photographer, how am I doing?

Danielle MarieDanielle Marie Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
edited October 1, 2012 in People
Hi there you all! I found this site and I am very glad I did. I am a beginner at photography since I have only been studying it for about a year and a half now and I do have a little business going called Life's Little Miracles Photography. I only photograph newborns, infants, toddlers, young children and families but I also do maternity shoots here and there. I have an 18 month old little girl that I have practiced on and I can tell you she is a good model lol, now she sits down for me in a position and says "cheese" even thought the cheesy face ones I dont like to shoot HA! Anyways back to my photos, I am going to post a few for you all to look at and critique I would LOVE to hear what you have to say at what I can improve on and what you like about my photos. I do not use a paid Photoshop service yet but will in 2013, for now I use a free site for editing that I try to do my best working with it. Also I use ALL natural lighting ( which I prefer ). Hope you enjoy looking at these and I hope to hear from all of you.

~Danielle

12.jpg

13.jpg

14-1.jpg

2-1.jpg

4.jpg

28.jpg

67.jpg

90.jpg

102.jpg

Comments

• Options
    lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited September 26, 2012
    Hi Danielle! welcome do dgrin, its a great place to learn!

I think you're off to a great start. 1, 2, 4, 6, and 7 are the better ones of the set. If i can give a couple pieces of advice, i say stay away from overdoing skin smoothing and eye whitening/enhancing. some of them appear a little overdone. also, watch your tilts!

most importantly stick around here and don't take critiques personally, use them to improve. I contribute most of my knowledge and growth to this place :)
  • Options
    Thank you for you comment, I took a look at your photos and wow just beautiful! Your little girl is just darling! I will defiantly take your advise, I have soo much to learn and study and I will love all the critiques I can get. I plan on getting Photoshop elements soon , so I will be looking up tutorials on that as well. Here is a black and white one I just finished today of a handsome little man. I am slowly learning different methods of black & white imaging.

8.jpg
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    I see some great stuff here. Glad I waited to post :D . Don't forget to puruse the sections here, Photo craft and Digital darkroom. Lots of good stuff in there. Also the pullbacks thread, not that you need it by the looks of things lol. Welcome, hope to see more of you're work in the future. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Thank you! Really looking forward to all the new techniques and possibilities from other photographers I can teach myself with this site. Sorry about my grammar in the main thread post, man sometimes I forget to proof read EEKK!
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    Welcome to the forum Danielle.

I think where you're missing the mark is with your post work. It looks overdone in every shot. I think that may have a lot to do with the application(s) you're using. Getting Photoshop will help but actually, why don't you get Lightroom? it's cheaper and does everything you'll need to do with your photos, sans cloning/compositing.

Honestly, I would opt for NO post work than post work done in free software. Your photos need to stand on their own merit WITHOUT post work.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work as you progress. Feel free to post often and ask questions.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited September 30, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the advice. Here are a couple I took yesterday from an outdoor/dusk shoot.

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    I like every single thing about those last two. Except. They both look a bit over processed. Tone that down a bit and I'm in LOVE!clap.gif
  • Options
    Thanks Bryce! I am working on the over processed thing, I am using a free editing site so I don't get much option but in a couple weeks I will be purchasing Lightroom 4.
  • Options
    BilsenBilsen Registered Users Posts: 2,143 Major grins
    Welcome Danielle.
    .15524779-Ti.gif with Bryce and Cuban pretty much down the line.

Really beautiful base images though.
    Bilsen (the artist formerly known as John Galt NY)
    Canon 600D; Canon 1D Mk2;
    24-105 f4L IS; 70-200 f4L IS; 50mm 1.4; 28-75 f2.8; 55-250 IS; 580EX & (2) 430EX Flash,
    Model Galleries: http://bilsen.zenfolio.com/
    Everything Else: www.pbase.com/bilsen
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited October 1, 2012
    Welcome, your images are really on track, a little tweaking will make the difference, but you got the hard stuff right, good job! I also have learned so much here, more than I can measure !
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Options
    edited October 1, 2012
    Here is another one I took today or this little 15 month old sweetie pie, trying to tone down some things what do you think?

1-1.jpg

Thanks VayCayMom, I am learning something new everyday it seems like :-)