Options

Mrs. David_S85's Book Cover Project

David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,203 moderator
edited March 28, 2006 in Finishing School
OK, this might be fun.

Mrs. David_S85 needs a cover for her new book, which is due at the publisher in a couple of weeks. I am not a graphics designer, so we'll need some help from all of you in turning this photo (or one of the 100 like this one) into an interesting cover design.

The entire photo does not need to be on the cover. The important part is her walking the labyrinth, and as much of the labyrinth and green grass we can get around her. Unlike many book covers, we don't want a closeup of the author (her there in the photo).

The book...
...is a memoir about recovery from brain injury, so we chose a shot of a labyrinth that looks like a brain (sort of), and her navigating it. You just can't easily find a brain shaped labyrinth. Luckily, we knew where a good one was. She is self-publishing the book.

The Photo:
Problems with the shoot included angles. The labyrinth was situated on a slight incline making the background a bit odd looking. There is perspective distortion (I was shooting down from a ladder) as well as barrel distortion (10mm w/ 20D). Pics shown here have already been through PTLens. The smaller tree to the left actually was tilted off perpendicular, and not only a result of perspective. Perspective might need to be dealt with, but I haven't done so yet.

A very small and compressed copy of original photo:
45059434-L.jpg
(has been through PTLens, has not been sharpened)

What needs to be included:
The title (I can't give that away, as the book is not in production yet). It is a 5 word title. There is an 8 word sub title. The author's name and the 4 word publisher's name also need to be there. The publisher's name needn't be large. None of these text strings need to be in a particular order, but should be logically laid out.

Some ideas so far:
We spent many hours roaming through the aisles of large book stores to get ideas. Photo center placement is not mandatory. Screening back the image to include titles is a possibility, as is removing or blending away regions of the photo that aren't important (such as what's behind the labyrinth). In fact, a painterly or dream effect has also been discussed. She wants it in color. A circular blur perhaps? Titles can be banded across the top or bottom independent from the photo (probably a good idea)? But like I say, I'm no graphics guru.

This has been rotated 6 degrees right, cropped, compressed version of above:
45059433-L.jpg
(has not been sharpened)

57% size of original found here as a working image to play with:
http://davidwatts.smugmug.com/photos/45062306-O.jpg
(has been through PTLens, has not yet been sharpened) I shot for generous cropping in mind, so ignore that comb at the bottom left :lol3

The publisher has stipulated the submittal requirements as: a .TIF file, sRGB (thankfully!), with resolution to cover the 6" x 9" cover (portrait) at 300 ppi. 10% of the cover perimeter will be cropped off from the publisher. All this I can easily handle on my own. I am using Paint Shop Pro.

I am working on some ideas on my own, but while I do, I though I'd get this thread up here to begin getting some ideas from all of you. And really, if you contribute, we are very very grateful for your help! Thanks in advance!
My Smugmug
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Ok, I played with it a little.
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2005
    Dee's Cover
    A variety of filters -- and layers. One thing I felt important was to get rid of the blown highlights in her yellow jacket.

What you are REALLY looking for here is a computer artist to design the ART -- not a graphic designer.

The graphic designer comes into play when the art is done, and the all the needed text (copy) is available.

A lot of the time the designer will pick up on colors in the art work -- and depending on the copy, mood of the art work -- that will determine the font/typeface used to convey the message.

But here's my quick best shot in the dark :):

What would be cool would be to have a brain scan (x-ray) an old drawing of a brain, some tree branches and some lightning --

Then someone could create a really cool collage indicating broken pathways and suggest progress from ancient times (old illustration) to the modern with the miracle of recovery that is now possible.

I like the yellow jacket and used yellow to signify hope, sunshine, and breakthrough...
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2005
    Sam & Dee, these are a good start. Thanks!

I'll be getting some of mine up here soon. Wasn't able to even turn on the 'puter 'til late 2nite - yard work all day - fun!

Diana is getting excited!
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    edited November 22, 2005
    Here is something I just whipped up. Any comments?

45515639-L.jpg
    My Smugmug
  • Options
    cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    Looks good thumb.gif

I'd like to see more space around the title... especially on the sides.

The blur looks good. It might look better if the transition from sharp to blur right above the sub-title wasn't quite so sharp. It might also help to have a bit more blur along the right edge between the author's name and the sub-title.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2005
    David_S85 wrote:
    David,

It just doesn't jump out and grab me. I think the title, and other text is too large and centered.

If the idea is to draw the eye to the woman traveling a clear path out of confusion (blured forground and background), the text overwelms the cover page.

If you like this concept I would look at something a little closer to Dee's version.

Also if you let us know what the the book title is it might help guide the creative process for the cover page. I think one would want the visual aspects of the cover to convey what the title implies.

Keep working on it.

These are just my thoughts. :):

Sam
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2005
    45062306-Oa.jpg

45062306-Ob.jpg
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    edited March 28, 2006
    The book is out!
    Thanks Sam, Dee, Cletus and Andyman for contributing your ideas and thoughts for this project.

The first printer's review copies of Diana's book arrived Monday. Silly me - I thought the FedEx guy was bringing me some photography toys, but it was Diana's day instead. lol3.gif

Here is the cover - book and all...

book.jpg

I pixelated out the title and author's last name, since this forum isn't for product endorsements.

There was quite a bit of PP with this shot. I used Panorama Tools to rotate, and to do perspective correction in two planes all in one pass (I love PTools!). Color was enhanced and made more vivid, and some background crap was cloned out (air conditioner and tree skirt).

The back of the book is the same front shot, reversed left to right, and mainly greyed out, with the author's brief and a portrait, which I also shot.

Next step is making it available at retail and on-line outlets. I also get to get her website up and running. Much more to do!

Just thought you'd all like to see the finished product.
    My Smugmug